OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just completing a reboot of this system. I had an infestation of Majanos that I battled for about a year but lost the war. This has been an opportunity to upgrade the system including replacing the sump with a Trigger Platinum 39 I purchased back when it first came out. It required major re-plumbing so I wasn't sure how I was going to do the swap while still running the tank. Here is a photo of the "new" sump:

tempImages07Zxa.png

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some bad photos of the new plumbing. My original sump had 1.5 inch returns and the Trigger has 1.0 inch. I replaced the Synergy Reef Shadow overflow V1 with a new V3 and plumbed it with 1.0 inch internals and external connections to match the sump. I was concerned about using 1.5 inch in the overflow box and reducing to 1.0 inch below because of the possibility of something getting stuck at the reducer. The fittings are very close together at the connections to the sump. (Sorry, couldn't figure out how to rotate the photos).

tempImageoDN6jv.png

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran four 1/4" RO tubing lines from the garage where my mixing station is, through the attic and down the wall behind the tank and into the cabinet. Two lines are for auto water change, one is for Kalkwasser dosing and the forth is for a gravity ATO system using a float valve in the sump (credit the late Jake Adams). My ATO reservoir is a 32 gallon Brute on an Avast Marine Barrel tender sitting on top of a garage cabinet to gain sufficient head. The Kalkwasser will be in a 45 gallon Brute with the feed line connected to a circular float, with small feet on the bottom, inside the Brute to prevent feeding undissolved Kalk powder and minimize contact with CO2 from the air inside the Brute. I'm using three Ecotech Versa pumps in the garage to do the auto water changing and Kalk dosing. My aquarium cabinet has a lot more open space now. As I start to add corals a few months from now, I plan to use only Kalk initially, then supplement with dosing three-part or All for Reef as demand increases. Ultimately, I will re-install my Geo calcium reactor once the three-part can't keep up with demand.

tempImageLnzBJY.png

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to run UV so I ordered a 55 watt Lifegard 3-inch sterilizer that I will need to retrofit into the plumbing somehow. I will also establish a refugium in the Trigger sump and will be using the Tunze waterproof light sticks. My new aquascape is sort of an "open rock pile" design with the lower pieces glued in and the upper pieces stacked on top. I didn't want to try and lift a large sculpture into the tank.

I also took the opportunity with an empty tank to add euro-brancing to the top of the long sides and install ABS plastic armor to the silicone joints inside the tank.

This reboot provides the following improvements:

1. Automates water changes.
2. Gravity ATO with automatic refills which eliminates topping up the retired 10-gallon ATO reservoir several times a month.
3. Ending filter sock changing and cleaning in favor of the roller mat that comes in the Trigger Platinum sump.
4. Retiring an Avast Kalk stirrer in favor of a large Kalk reservoir next to the mixing station.
5. Extended tank longevity with added bracing and joint armor. Bracing will greatly reduce accidental water splashes on the outside of the glass.
6. Elimination of the old sand bed in favor of a bare bottom. Whether actually needed or not, I used to vacuum the sand bed when doing weekly water changes. There was still a lot of detritus build-up in the sand.
7. Hopefully no more Majano battles (one can only hope).
8. More open aqua scape than before for better flow and coral placement options.

I have also retired the Simplicity return pump (which actually worked great) with a Reef Octopus VariouS 8 and replaced the single Finnex heater and JBJ controller with a BRS controller and two 300-watt BRS heaters.
tempImageWJ1tJz.png

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back