195g Bow Front in-wall Stand

xxjt2oxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Purchased a new home last year and I have a bow front tank built into a curved wall that divides 2 rooms. It's viewable from the front and back. Took care of a few other projects, but now I'm looking to get back into reefing and have started moving forward to updating/making some changes to this tank.

Currently in the wall is an Oceanic bow front, 72x18x24, 24" at the bow. The prices to get the tank made in glass was insane and after a few months of calling/asking around I settled and ordered an acrylic bow front which will be 72x24x24, 30" at the bow. Since I'm moving from glass to acrylic and adding weight I figured I'd have to scrap the wood stand in the wall now and took advantage of the project to steal 6" from the room to the rear of the tank. I'm having the sides of the tank drilled for eShopps Prodigy overflows, so no pipes coming out of the bottom of the tank. The tank is only accessible from the rear.

I've built a few stands in the past, but never for a bow front. There are 2 main concerns/goals I have coming in to this - concern being supporting the front of the bow, and goal having no center brace in the back of the tank. I attached a drawing, would love some feedback on what you like, what you don't, and whether or not it's safe.

Some notes -

The stand is approx. 38" tall
I'm going to seat the stand on a 1/4" sheet of plywood and waterproof it to catch any spills
Red pieces are 2x4, blue pieces are 2x6, yellow pieces are 2x8, and green pieces are 2x10 cut to match the radius of the tank
The front bottom plate is notches so I can slide the sump as far to the front of the stand as possible
The top of the stand will be 3/4 plywood and a 1" foam pad
There will be no sheathing on the stand since it's inside a finished wall, I may put plywood against the front of the tank to hang equipment
Everything will be predrilled and fastened with #10x3" deck screws and construction adhesive
Wood will be all #2 pressure treated pine/marine plywood

Thanks,
Justin

Fish Tank Stand 2 - center top down.jpg Fish Tank Stand 2 - front left.jpg Fish Tank Stand 2 - front right.jpg Fish Tank Stand 2 - rear left.jpg Fish Tank Stand 2 - rear right.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Do the supports for the bowed front piece of the stand go up to the edge/front of the curved part? That’s the only thing I was thinking about as far as supporting the bow of the tank. Sounds like a great build!

OP
OP
X

xxjt2oxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Do the supports for the bowed front piece of the stand go up to the edge/front of the curved part? That’s the only thing I was thinking about as far as supporting the bow of the tank. Sounds like a great build!
Yea they do, added another pic from the bottom up - they meet the bottom of the green piece set back about 1/4" from the very edge.

Forever I've wanted a tank that split 2 rooms, so now that I have one I'm pumped to get things goin - I was never a huge fan of the bow tanks and I'm already having nightmares about cleaning it, but it definitely has a wow factor - the main hallway when you walk through the front door is curved and follows the radius of the tank before opening up into the living room

Fish Tank Stand 2 - center bottom up.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back