1st Nano ( 30 - 33 G )

DrG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have been involved in marine aquariums for 20 of the last 30 years. My smallest aquarium in the past was 50 gallon. Moved to larger from there. Due to a move, into a home that's almost under constant renovation , I am loath to set up my 90+ gallon tank.

My dilemma, I was given a 33 gallon tank unused still in a petco box. Probably about 18 years old. It's roughly 36 lx 12 w x 18h around it's plastic frame. Glass is 6mm with 2- 4" side braces. I think it's flimsy and has a poor dimension for a reef tank. Would more or less end up with a wall of rock, little room for aquascaping. I would have an overflow on the back.

My 2 current alternatives are custom builds.

1st 30 l x 16 w x 16 h about 33 gallons overflow on the back maybe internal instead
2nd 24 l x 18 w x 18 h about 33.5 gallons internal overflow

Of the two custom builds which do you think will make a better nano reef? There will only be 3 small fish. One small bubble tip anemone. The ones in my office tank only grow to about 3 inches. The rest will be a combo of zoa and SPS, rare LPS. One clam. Lighting is a Radion 30 G3. I will custom build the stand myself for any of the above. If I'm feeling ambtitous I may build the tank myself, having a LFS or glass place to drill the holes

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, Welcome!
xT9IgG50Fb7Mi0prBC.gif

I'm not well versed on nano's, running my smallest tank ever with a 40b right now.

I'm much more confident drilling over building my own tank lol, have you thought about doing an all-in-one? And if you have the space for the first tank you listed, what about picking up a 40b instead as it has great dimensions?

OP
OP
DrG

DrG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not like all in ones. The idea of the 40b, hadn't occurred to me. Looked up the dimensions, kind of the best of everything i was considering. Thanks

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not like all in ones. The idea of the 40b, hadn't occurred to me. Looked up the dimensions, kind of the best of everything i was considering. Thanks

There's a strong possibility the Petco Dollar per gallon sale will start on June 1st if you want to wait a few days and check.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back