OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like brook.. so I had a outbreak and lost all of my clowns before I could take action… going fallow wasn’t a option for me as I have numerous large tangs in a 300 and nobody else showed any signs of anything.. in fact I have over 30 fish including anthias, chromis etc! Everyone else was fine but I lost the clowns.. what I did was treat my tank with ruby rally pro for 3 days as the instructions state and then did it again 2 weeks later and all is fine! I added new clowns after 4 weeks of the brook outbreak and my tank never skipped a beat! It’s been a couple months now and everyone is healthy and doing amazing!
I don’t have nearly as many as that but right now I’m not able to quarantine due to my schedule. Having to check both tanks. In a few weeks I’ll be free but right now it’s impossible. But if need be I’d make it happen but this sounds good

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so question. When setting up a QT how can I get this “Having some cycled bio-media for the filter or letting the sponge filter cycle first is going to help ensure the QT tank is stable and ready for the addition of new fish. Using a QT tank without cycled biological filter media means ammonia will be a threat and heavy water changes are to be expected. “ - this is from BRS

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so question. When setting up a QT how can I get this “Having some cycled bio-media for the filter or letting the sponge filter cycle first is going to help ensure the QT tank is stable and ready for the addition of new fish. Using a QT tank without cycled biological filter media means ammonia will be a threat and heavy water changes are to be expected. “ - this is from BRS
You can just pull whatever media from your current display and put it in the QT. Filter sponge, bit of rock, etc.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if I buy a HOB… should I change the cartridge that comes with the HOB or no?

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh the bacteria from the fish brooks wouldn’t go to the Qt tanks
The bacteria will be coming over on the fish you are transferring anyway (the goby). So it doesn't really matter if the filter media is coming from the same tank.

If you were trying to set up a completely clean disease free QT tank for a new fish addition rather than putting your goby in to let the display go fallow, you might not want to reuse media from your display since it would introduce the disease.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria will be coming over on the fish you are transferring anyway (the goby). So it doesn't really matter if the filter media is coming from the same tank.

If you were trying to set up a completely clean disease free QT tank for a new fish addition rather than putting your goby in to let the display go fallow, you might not want to reuse media from your display since it would introduce the disease.
Exactly what I figured

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUESTION.

I went to a LFS well not very local about an hour away and picked up 3 Zoa frags.

I was speaking with my fiance about this… and could it be that maybeeeeeee the frags carried something because before I put the frags there were zero signs of anything with the fish

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the potential is there, it’s generally a very slight chance of that occurring.
If there was an active infection in the lfs system it would be more likely.
Generally it is going to come in on fish.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Got a QT tank. Goby is in, should I put pistol shrimp with him?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate this! So he’s breathing fast and almost barely winning the pump waves is just making him flow.
So I’ll be losing all of them is it what do I do to avoid this now.

Moving forward, you will have to observe a fallow period. When it comes to fallow periods and quarantine, I wait 90 days (I am a procrastinator). But the rule on fallow periods is 56 days.

Check with @Jay Hemdal. I seem to recall a recent thread by him discussing the length of fallow periods.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving forward, you will have to observe a fallow period. When it comes to fallow periods and quarantine, I wait 90 days (I am a procrastinator). But the rule on fallow periods is 56 days.

Check with @Jay Hemdal. I seem to recall a recent thread by him discussing the length of fallow periods.
I’m currently fallow. Last fish was a goby. But I’m curious if I should put pistol shrimp with him

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp can stay in fallow tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back