2 dead 1 struggling

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I check first???? Woke up 1 fish out of water, 1 fish up against the pump and 1 is clinging a 4th looks cloudy (body) but is swimming fine. Had 4 clownfish all different types

What should I check first

At first I checked temp and thought it was that it read 64 but then realized reading part was not in tank reading temp. Put it in and temp was 79.1

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I check first???? Woke up 1 fish out of water, 1 fish up against the pump and 1 is clinging a 4th looks cloudy (body) but is swimming fine. Had 4 clownfish all different types

At first I checked temp and thought it was that it read 64 but then realized reading part was not in tank reading temp. Put it in and temp was 79.1
Photos? Cloudy body sounds like velvet, #fishmedic?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you say out of water, did it jump out of the water? Do you have enough surface agitation for gas exchange and oxygen?

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As best I can get

Attachments

• IMG_7394.png
    IMG_7394.png
    705.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7393.png
    IMG_7393.png
    715.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7392.jpeg
    IMG_7392.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 56

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With velvet you don’t usually see any white - just fast breathing and a quick death.
On a clown, that sounds like potential brook.
Pics under white light would better help diagnosis.
Though 4 clowns in one tank also sounds like a recipe for aggression - it possible that one snapped overnight.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say out of water, did it jump out of the water? Do you have enough surface agitation for gas exchange and oxygen?
Yeah must’ve jumped out and yes I believe so the pump is directed toward surface. I do have a decent amount of bubbles at top. Not sure why it goes off and on

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With velvet you don’t usually see any white - just fast breathing and a quick death.
On a clown, that sounds like potential brook.
Pics under white light would better help diagnosis.
Though 4 clowns in one tank also sounds like a recipe for aggression - it possible that one snapped overnight.
Nah man all have been getting along super great!
but can’t rule it out I guess

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more info. How long has this tank been set up? How long have you had the fish? What and when was the last addition?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah must’ve jumped out and yes I believe so the pump is directed toward surface. I do have a decent amount of bubbles at top. Not sure why it goes off and on
If it is a desease of some sort, I know nothing about that. You need Jay Hemnal on here

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many clowns in a 40G, but it looks more like potential brook or something than aggression. Need white light pics, its hard to see with blues.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post full water quality values? If not, if you have invertebrates in the tank, and if they are all fine, you can generally rule out water quality issues and then focus on some fish disease.

Jay

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many clowns in a 40G, but it looks more like potential brook or something than aggression. Need white light pics, its hard to see with blues.
Was told 4 is fine by many people and have never had an issue before with that.

But I guess I can’t rule it out

Whitenpics will be posted later had to rush to work

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post full water quality values? If not, if you have invertebrates in the tank, and if they are all fine, you can generally rule out water quality issues and then focus on some fish disease.

Jay
I can’t check now but all inverts are perfectly fine and Zoas all open …. Been in this hobby for over 15+ years. This threw me off

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t check now but all inverts are perfectly fine and Zoas all open …. Been in this hobby for over 15+ years. This threw me off
With soft corals open and other invertebrates doing well, this is most likely a fish disease issue. The two common ones (other than ich that has distinctive white spots) is velvet and brooklynella. Velvet causes fish to stop eating, breath really fast, and sometimes hover in water flow. The fish will die quickly. Treatment for that is coppersafe in a treatment tank.
Brooklynella causes white slime on the fish, moderately fast breathing and stilted swimming motion. Formalin is the best treatment, but it is toxic and difficult to get. Ruby Reef Rally Pro works in early infections.

However, once fish loss has happened, it is very difficult for even a proper treatment to work in time to save the remaining fish.

Jay

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With soft corals open and other invertebrates doing well, this is most likely a fish disease issue. The two common ones (other than ich that has distinctive white spots) is velvet and brooklynella. Velvet causes fish to stop eating, breath really fast, and sometimes hover in water flow. The fish will die quickly. Treatment for that is coppersafe in a treatment tank.
Brooklynella causes white slime on the fish, moderately fast breathing and stilted swimming motion. Formalin is the best treatment, but it is toxic and difficult to get. Ruby Reef Rally Pro works in early infections.

However, once fish loss has happened, it is very difficult for even a proper treatment to work in time to save the remaining fish.

Jay
Appreciate this! So he’s breathing fast and almost barely winning the pump waves is just making him flow.
So I’ll be losing all of them is it what do I do to avoid this now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back