2 diamond gobies in the same tank

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for anyone interested, ive had 2 diamond gobies for a while, but since i had two tanks, i kept them seperated, until today. as most should know, diamond gobies do alot of digging, and i knew that from the start. adding them together, i knew it would change the landscape a little, but im not concerned with that, but for those that want to know what it looks like when you add two diamond gobies to the same tank.....
dirt.JPG

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large and a small in a 150 gallon tank and they sure move some sand! They have created enough space under rocks for a reef lobster and a snowflake eel. They don’t stop they just keep digging!

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large and a small in a 150 gallon tank and they sure move some sand! They have created enough space under rocks for a reef lobster and a snowflake eel. They don’t stop they just keep digging!
i have about 2 inches of substrate. the one decided he wanted to dig to china today. there is a very large portion of the tank that has no sand on it at the moment. i look forward to what tomorrow brings.

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have about 2 inches of substrate. the one decided he wanted to dig to china today. there is a very large portion of the tank that has no sand on it at the moment. i look forward to what tomorrow brings.
That is awesome I have about 4 inches of sand and it’s the bigger pieces of crushed coral(not the fine stuff) and they both have dug out holes under every rock on the sand bed and then just graze all day. Sand looks perfectly clean so I cannot complain about the mounds they move.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people will say ‘they will move lots of sand around’— but like we are all pretty much saying, it’s hard to believe until you see it with your own eyes!

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that could not be more accurate. Diamond gobies will rescape your sand and you absolutely will lose the battle lol

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also concur with this. I have one about 4 inches in a 60 breeder with a 3 inch sand substrate and it might as well be an excavation operation going on daily. Buttttttt the sand is always nice a pearly white so he does his job well, the nassarius and the hermits don't appreciate being played football with as he always picks them up and throws them. Hazard of the job I guess LOL.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome I have about 4 inches of sand and it’s the bigger pieces of crushed coral(not the fine stuff) and they both have dug out holes under every rock on the sand bed and then just graze all day. Sand looks perfectly clean so I cannot complain about the mounds they move.
To give you an idea. Here is my sanded right now. There were mjnimal mounds before I decided to do this. i knew it was going to happen, so this wasnt a surprise to me, but i love watching these fish work, and it really doesnt bother me, but every time i turn to look at the tank, im thinkin to myself, or even saying out loud "youre killin me smalls"
20220401_104717.jpg
20220401_104652.jpg
20220401_104648.jpg

this picture, in the background, you can see the large patch of glass. as you can see, this is a rimmed tank, and you can see how much sand i have in the tank comparative to that rim. its a fairly large patch of sand that one of them decided that it no longer belonged there, and needed to be moved
20220401_104643.jpg

20220401_104551.jpg

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, just for the sake of example, if anyone gets a diamond goby, they do this all day long. they will dig any and all sand they can get to, so when you do rockwork, you need to make sure that it is stable on the glass, and not sitting on top of the substrate. they will burrow underneath any rock they can, so if its sitting on top of the sand, it will eventually have the possibility of crushing them.

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully these videos will work if not I can figure out how to post them for you to see my tank and the mounds those gobies have made

Attachments

• IMG_3361.MOV
    57.2 MB
  • IMG_3363.MOV
    43.4 MB

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days after purchase mine went missing for about 3 weeks. I thought, 'Wow, that's a shame to spend money on a fish that died right away and I can't even find to get out of the tank.' It turns out he was just working out of sight (in the back) on a cave for 3-weeks. One day he just reappeared in sight, and he's still going strong after 5 months.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every one of them is a mini Bob the sand mover but mine is one of my favorite fish. He is a huge pig and literally eats like one. I greatly appreciate the service he provides, except when he sand blasts some zoas or my RFA's.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my opinion the main downside to these diamond gobies is that they are the greatest escape artists ive ever seen, and I have a fully grown snowflake eel. They will literally find any gap and zoom right through it to go carpet surfing.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my opinion the main downside to these diamond gobies is that they are the greatest escape artists ive ever seen, and I have a fully grown snowflake eel. They will literally find any gap and zoom right through it to go carpet surfing.
the larger of my two, i kept in a 20g tank. i had to be careful near that tank, because in that small tank, he was scared easily. if he gets scared, he zips off. many times, he tries to become a space cadet. i have a covered tank, so it wasnt a huge deal, but if i need to put my hand in the tank, i had to make sure he went in his home first, because if i didnt, he was going fast, somewhere. this larger tank, he isnt frightened like he was

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine in a 29g so I had the same exact experience with that. Now in the 60g, honestly, he could care less about my hand in the tank doing maintenance. Just keeps his army of snatched shells around the door to his cave.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine in a 29g so I had the same exact experience with that. Now in the 60g, honestly, he could care less about my hand in the tank doing maintenance. Just keeps his army of snatched shells around the door to his cave.
mine would dart off if i just walked by in the smaller tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pair then, usually size is the biggest differentiation between a male and a female, males being the larger.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back