2 Gen Tangs killed by anemone.

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had my two beautiful gem tangs for a year now. And I love them, I legit speak to them sometimes lol. I was away for treatment at a hospital, and my wonderful girlfriend ordered me a coral on drag ox trying to be nice. No warnings, no saying that it wasn’t reef safe anywhere and she does not know anything about this stuff. So she put it in there. Even my friend who helps me with my tank said there is no possible way it could kill such big fish. Well here we are. I woke up this morning, a week after the anemone was added, and it killed both of my gem tangs. They were burnt all over and I’m devestated. I don’t know what to do. This site should have had warnings ? I’d love your opinions.

72211805398__0C27A23F-178D-4E1D-BCEE-CEDCF8D8D99E.jpeg IMG_2289.jpeg IMG_2293.jpeg IMG_2290.jpeg 72062828248__E45EFDAC-AD08-4577-BDD6-285C10D55164.jpeg 72278313799__192D3F0F-5D4A-4B2A-A779-A866863AA691.jpeg

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long tentacle wouldn't be able to kill a healthy tang. I'm sorry, but it wasn't responsible for their deaths. Did you QT? How fast did they die? It probably died, then floated into the nem.
Yes it was then, my other tang was dead when I got there, and the second one was still breathing but trapped in it. They were burnt all over. My other fish are all healthy, and my parameters are all normal. So yes it was the anemone belive it or not.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was then, my other tang was dead when I got there, and the second one was still breathing but trapped in it. They were burnt all over. My other fish are all healthy, and my parameters are all normal. So yes it was the anemone belive it or not.
I've never heard of a lta killing a tang.
I see alot of my fish swim through the lta all the time.

Possable could the lta have gotten food and then thw fish tried to het it or something and just got stung and killed?

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of a lta killing a tang.
I see alot of my fish swim through the lta all the time.

Possable could the lta have gotten food and then thw fish tried to het it or something and just got stung and killed?
I have no idea but it was responsible for their deaths. My tank is excessively healthy, and I checked all my parameters the night before. They were visibly burnt and eaten by it.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea but it was responsible for their deaths. My tank is excessively healthy, and I checked all my parameters the night before. They were visibly burnt and eaten by it.
Do you have images?

I've got 2 lta and a carpet and have never had an issue.

And my fish have ich so they definately aren't heathy.

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IVe also had the tangs for almost a year, this anemone was extremely agressive, it had killed two of my smaller fish the week prior but I assumed it was because they were extremely small fish. And the only ones I had left in my tank.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Gem tangs are beautiful and expensive. You have a good-looking tank, too! I have never experienced or seen this happen before.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
IVe also had the tangs for almost a year, this anemone was extremely agressive, it had killed two of my smaller fish the week prior but I assumed it was because they were extremely small fish. And the only ones I had left in my tank.
So you've had multiple fish deaths prior to two tangs you had for a year. Yeah, definitely not the LTA. I've had it before. It isn't capable of killing a healthy fish, especially a tang. If you had like a carpet or whatever, sure. LTA i believe has the same sting roughly as a BTA. Multiple fish deaths you got there, and its not the LTA. I'd try to find out what happened. Post parameters? Did you dose any medications? Lanth chloride? New corals? New inverts? Whatever killed the prior fish, probably killed the tangs. You didn't say if you properly QT all your fish/corals/inverts/etc. Healthy tangs just don't up and die. Multiple fish just don't up and die. Its not the nem, 100%.

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you've had multiple fish deaths prior to two tangs you had for a year. Yeah, definitely not the LTA. I've had it before. It isn't capable of killing a healthy fish, especially a tang. If you had like a carpet or whatever, sure. LTA i believe has the same sting roughly as a BTA. Multiple fish deaths you got there, and its not the LTA. I'd try to find out what happened. Post parameters? Did you dose any medications? Lanth chloride? New corals? New inverts? Whatever killed the prior fish, probably killed the tangs. You didn't say if you properly QT all your fish/corals/inverts/etc. Healthy tangs just don't up and die. Multiple fish just don't up and die. Its not the nem, 100%.
IVe had all my fish for over a year, I haven’t added anything new, and I’ve had one other fish death, and I’m telling you it was caused by the anemone as I found it INSIDE the anemone when it was dead.

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IVe had all my fish for over a year, I haven’t added anything new, and I’ve had one other fish death, and I’m telling you it was caused by the anemone as I found it INSIDE the anemone when it was dead.
My tangs were healthy yesterday night, everything was completely fine, I fed them, everything was good. They showed no signs of illness, and I’ve added nothing new in almost a year.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Just for the sake of your tank, just consider it wasn't the LTA, and think and see what it could be. Losing fish sucks, and I don't want you to lose anymore. Exhaust all possible causes.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. I’m thinking it’s got to be a food thing. Likely the nem caught some food, tang went after it and yea. That said, I’ve also never heard of a LTA eating tangs before. Other small fish, definitely (but rare), but not larger fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back