2 Maxspect Ethereal's putting out different color?

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys hopefully someone can chime in here, maybe someone else has had this issue?

I just picked up 2 Ethereal led fixtures, which are amazing, set them up this weekend with the icv6 controller and one light is putting out a different spectrum compared to the other, you can clearly see the difference in the picture.

Any ideas of whats going on here? Its really throwing me for a loop here.

20180211_204854.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming they’re set to same power/spectrum then most likely the led pad on one is malfunctioning. Can try running them both on 100% for a sec to make sure it’s not some sw issue.

OP
OP
MikeyB

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are, when you change the settings in the app, they both change together. Let me set them to 100% real quick and see

20180211_210925.jpg

Edit.. Oh yeah, you cant really tell as much in the picture, but its even more noticeable at 100%, the one on the left is a nice blue/white and the right one has more of a purple/pink tone to it

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is one older or used less then the other? I noticed this happened when I added a fixture that was not in use as long as the other one.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under warranty? Probably should put in a tix to coralvue. I had a similar thing on my Razor a while ago where 2 pads looked very different, they replaced the pads. Not sure how it works with ethereal...

OP
OP
MikeyB

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is one older or used less then the other? I noticed this happened when I added a fixture that was not in use as long as the other one.
Nope brand new, all shrink wrapped and everything. got them both last week.

Under warranty? Probably should put in a tix to coralvue. I had a similar thing on my Razor a while ago where 2 pads looked very different, they replaced the pads. Not sure how it works with ethereal...
They are, or better be as i just bought them last week :) Ill go ahead and put a ticket in with coralvue, or do you guys think i should just contact BRS customer support instead and see what they have to say, as thats where i got them from.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope brand new, all shrink wrapped and everything. got them both last week.

They are, or better be as i just bought them last week :) Ill go ahead and put a ticket in with coralvue, or do you guys think i should just contact BRS customer support instead and see what they have to say, as thats where i got them from.

Since it’s a malfunctioning product you can prob return to BRS for a replacement which may be a bit faster than coralvue though CV is pretty good too. Without a PAR meter hard to tell which one is not working right so may have to replace both...

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look different in the tank, or just above? Looking at your last pic, are you're tops 2 different colors? It looks like the left is white, which could be reflecting light back, while the darker top would be doing the opposite. I am grasping at straws here, but you never know.

OP
OP
MikeyB

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. I'll go ahead and start with BRS tomorrow and shoot them a call, see what they have to say. Thanks for the help!

Maybe someone else out there has had this issue and they can chime in, so we'll have to wait and see.

OP
OP
MikeyB

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look different in the tank, or just above? Looking at your last pic, are you're tops 2 different colors? It looks like the left is white, which could be reflecting light back, while the darker top would be doing the opposite. I am grasping at straws here, but you never know.

It does look different in the tank, not nearly as noticeable but there is a difference.

Haha yeah.. i gotta finish making my other screen top for the right side. Its actually clear lexan on the left and just the usual screen metal on the right. I did take them off to see if that was causing the issue, but had no difference with them on or off.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look different in the tank, not nearly as noticeable but there is a difference.

Haha yeah.. i gotta finish making my other screen top for the right side. Its actually clear lexan on the left and just the usual screen metal on the right. I did take them off to see if that was causing the issue, but had no difference with them on or off.

Eh worth a shot lol. I like to think outside the box because when something like this happens to me it is usually some off the wall thing no ones ever heard of lol. If they are brand new then I would definitly send those pics to BRS and see what's up.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that it matters.. but from the first shot to the second your "tone" looks like it flipped..
purple right to purple left.
Could just be me though..

for "fun" you could go through each channel and see if its just a driver imbalance on one..
You know only blue 100% ect..

OP
OP
MikeyB

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that it matters.. but from the first shot to the second your "tone" looks like it flipped..
purple right to purple left.
Could just be me though..

for "fun" you could go through each channel and see if its just a driver imbalance on one..
You know only blue 100% ect..
Good idea! I didn't even think about that. I'll go through each channel tonight and see if I can't pinpoint which color is throwing everything off. Thanks!

OP
OP
MikeyB

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem
Who did you order them from? I'd start with shooting them an email or call

I ended up sending mine back to bulk reef supply for them to check it out and test them.

They of course found the same issue and just sent me new ones and they've been great ever since.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back