2 membranes ro-di

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a combination auto flush valve + flow restrictor in one. There are wires that power the unit, then some tubing that runs around it. Almost tempted to unplug that part of it since I manually flush the RODI anyway with a valve before sending water to the DI stage.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like a combination auto flush valve + flow restrictor in one. There are wires that power the unit, then some tubing that runs around it. Almost tempted to unplug that part of it since I manually flush the RODI anyway with a valve before sending water to the DI stage.
Wires? Do you mean tubes? Hard for me to tell what's what just from your pic.

One reason I am not a fan of those units... They take everything and enclose it and make it inaccessible.

I see a 550 flow restrictor on the left of the picture.

OP you shouldn't need to remove wires to the solenoid (assuming it is), just the 1\4" RO lines leading to the flow restrictor. In case you don't have enough room to change the restrictor with everything in place, then yes you may have to remove wires and remove enough pieces to make the change.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a 550 flow restrictor on the left of the picture.

OP you shouldn't need to remove wires to the solenoid (assuming it is), just the 1\4" RO lines leading to the flow restrictor. In case you don't have enough room to change the restrictor with everything in place, then yes you may have to remove wires and remove enough pieces to make the change.
Oh yeah the 550 flow restrictor was me holding it next to the smart buddy. Its not attached, but I wanted to put that in place of this electronic switch restrictor.

I probably would be better to rebuild the system with a dedicated booster pump and use the barrel restrictor. I dont remember why I got the smart buddy, but it works well and was cheaper than the standalone booster pumps. Learning more about the size of restrictors though this doesn't seem to cut it and maybe burning through my membranes because of it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back