2 pairs of clownfish?

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright,

I know a lot of people including myself have had a hard time getting clownfish to host anemone. It happens frequently.

I have had a pair of black snowflake clowns for 2 years and no matter what never hosted. I tried every more “humane” trick in the book…tube trick, in an isolation box, mirror, picture…etc. Nevertheless, nothing.

In a last ditch effort being I am personal friends with the LFS owners I decided to try to add another pair in hopes it would force them by example. In the event it would go bad I would get the new ones out and get them back.

My experience: horrible idea. Even though it was a success and the clowns now coexist fine I got extremely lucky. The amount of stress the fish and I felt was not worth the reward. Also, there is no guarantee my luck won’t run out one day and they become aggressive again.

Conclusion: if you cannot get a clown to host naturally or with one of the other tricks either accept it may never happen or if you bought anemone strictly for them think about maybe doing away with anemone.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took my clowns over 2 years, hundreds in anemone and a lot of my personal effort to get the anemone to host them. I still think it's a crap shoot. Only thing I didn't try was getting the proper anemone rather than just bubble tips.

OP
OP
KyOsIBa515

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took my clowns over 2 years, hundreds in anemone and a lot of my personal effort to get the anemone to host them. I still think it's a crap shoot. Only thing I didn't try was getting the proper anemone rather than just bubble tips.
That’s awesome you pulled it off naturally. I have multiple bubble tips in my tank. I think the only reason for the success for two pairs was they had several to choose from.

I am glad switching it up worked for you.

I also cut back on my mains a couple hours so I could run more dim lighting to make them more comfortable. This was finally the success…though I highly implore others to reconsider. If others do attempt have a plan to get the new ones out in the event they become too aggressive because clowns will kill each other.
7B077EC3-5DC3-4895-8F5D-EF9CDA420FB4.jpeg

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like previously mentioned, Clowns hosting is truly up to them. It's best to let it naturally happen and not force it. Let them do their thing and in time you will see the fruit. Very interesting case you have on your hands! Keep us updated.

Nigel

OP
OP
KyOsIBa515

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like previously mentioned, Clowns hosting is truly up to them. It's best to let it naturally happen and not force it. Let them do their thing and in time you will see the fruit. Very interesting case you have on your hands! Keep us updated.

Nigel
100%…patience truthfully is a virtue.

Naturally is always the best thing. If I could do it all over again I would of accepted the fact either it would or wouldn’t happen naturally over time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nigel
I agree with you there! I didn’t do anything and my clowns decided to host my BTA (This is what it looked like):
9307E795-F2FC-490D-B388-6ADAD475C724.jpeg

It was healthy and everything. The clowns ignored it (It eventually just sank away and has not been seen to this day).
Now look at this b*****, hosting the closest thing to an anemone (Ricordea Yuma).
F0DBDE2B-B0B1-4D48-B749-2D13E8526C91.jpeg

OP
OP
KyOsIBa515

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you there! I didn’t do anything and my clowns decided to host my BTA (This is what it looked like):
9307E795-F2FC-490D-B388-6ADAD475C724.jpeg

It was healthy and everything. The clowns ignored it (It eventually just sank away and has not been seen to this day).
Now look at this b*****, hosting the closest thing to an anemone (Ricordea Yuma).
F0DBDE2B-B0B1-4D48-B749-2D13E8526C91.jpeg
Isn’t that something? Clowns aren’t exclusive to anemone. I have seen them host with frogspawn, hammers, just not my stuff up until recently lol. Nice colony of Yuma’s by the way. Working on a colony myself. Note: one of the newer pair of clowns was eyeballing one in the bottom right lol.
56C206BA-6A85-4E9D-A2B9-E7C1874C7064.jpeg

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? How?! every clownfish i’ve every owned (dozens btw) have always been hosted by an anemone in one of my tanks. No matter what. It’s very easy for them to get attached.

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the clown species and anemone. Put a magnifica or gigantea with the Black ice (ocellaris) and see what happens. Or if you had maroons with the bubble tips.

OP
OP
KyOsIBa515

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? How?! every clownfish i’ve every owned (dozens btw) have always been hosted by an anemone in one of my tanks. No matter what. It’s very easy for them to get attached.
You are fortunate because it doesn’t always work out that way. Especially for tank bred clowns that aren’t instinctive to it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back