2 part dosing but not equally

CharlesGilbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made the mistake of only dosing alk as calcium has stayed above 400. I put alk in doser and have it dialed to keep system at 9 dkh. Some sps are losing color all other parameters are dialed. What action should I take to correct my issue? Not sure what only dosing alk does and why I shouldn’t do it. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do nothing unless calcium or alk are not at your target levels.

off balance dosing is OK if other things are messing with the demand ratio, such as water changes with a mix not matching the tank.

OP
OP
C

CharlesGilbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 35ppt
Calcium 425
9dkh
Phosphate.09 high at the moment just turned on GFO canister
NO3 8ppm
Mg1410
Ph 8.3
Not sure what is going on any ideas? ICP came back fine last month will send another on Monday.
Dosing 12 ml of Brightwell Reefcode B 1ml every two hours. Colors have slowly been fading since I added doser for alk about two months ago

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you will only consume about 20 ppm of Ca for a 2.8 drop in dkH. You dose equal amounts of 2 part because the formulas are adjusted for this ratio.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 20 odd years or so I have never dosed equal parts of 2 part.

When I do try to dose equal part, CAL rises while ALK remains stable. So I dose ALK daily, and CAL about once a week(usually 400ppm back up to 420).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcification by corals uses the fixed ratio, as does abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate.

There are some processes that are unbalanced, such as water changes with a mix not matching the tank, or the rise or fall of nitrate. I discuss them in the article below.

In general, unless you use a sulfur denitrator (ituses a lot of alk), the lower your total daily demand, the more likely these typically minor processes are likely to be a large part of the total demand and the more likely you demand varies from teh expected ratio.

If you only consume 0-0.5 dKH per day, these minor processes may be substantial. if you use 2+ dKH per day, it is unlikely you will deviate that much from 1:1 dosing with an appropriately balanced two part.

When Do Calcium and Alkalinity Demand Not Exactly Balance? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 20 odd years or so I have never dosed equal parts of 2 part.

When I do try to dose equal part, CAL rises while ALK remains stable. So I dose ALK daily, and CAL about once a week(usually 400ppm back up to 420).

Dosing equal amounts of 2 part was kind of the whole point of the balling method and 2 part additives. They can be dosed in different amounts to make an adjustment. But if you are trying to keep up with a heavy demand adding them in equal amounts is a lot easier. I test alkalinity once a week and adjust both alk and Ca the same amount based on that. I test Ca every 4 to six months. It is never off more than 20-40 ppm. At that time I will dose the appropriate amount Ca to adjust back to my goal.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if I dosed equal parts, by the end of the week my CAL is over 500, and my ALK is rock steady @ 7.5. I lose about 1DKH a day from consumption.

Whether they are designed for equal parts dosing or not, is not what my tank consumes. Even Kalk keeps my ALK stable, but calcium rises. No idea why, but after 20 years, it works for me and how I dose my reef.

When I was new to the hobby I always does equal parts, and could never figure out why my CAL rose while ALK was stable. It wasn't until many years ago I read a post by randy about not always dosing 2 parts equally(this was back on RC), that it made sense to me, and how I maintain my reef from then till now.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if I dosed equal parts, by the end of the week my CAL is over 500, and my ALK is rock steady @ 7.5. I lose about 1DKH a day from consumption.

Whether they are designed for equal parts dosing or not, is not what my tank consumes. Even Kalk keeps my ALK stable, but calcium rises. No idea why, but after 20 years, it works for me and how I dose my reef.

When I was new to the hobby I always does equal parts, and could never figure out why my CAL rose while ALK was stable. It wasn't until many years ago I read a post by randy about not always dosing 2 parts equally(this was back on RC), that it made sense to me, and how I maintain my reef from then till now.

Are you running any type of denitrification as Randy mentioned? Do you have any anoxic regions? Deep sand bed?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No and No

Sand bed is anywhere from 3" to 1/2". Very simple setup really as far filtration goes. No filter socks, just a sump with carbon reactor, skimmer, extra LR rubble, heater and return pump.

Suppose the rubble and small amount of sand in the "fuge" area of my sump could be anoxic, but doubtful.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOh and I match my WC water to my tank.

IO @ 1.026
7.5DKH
420CAL
Mag whatever it mixes up to, but always over 1300, and tank is typically in the 1350 to 1500 range.

I dose Randy's recipe 2 for ALK(weighted out on a scale so it's very accurate)
and BRS calcium chloride

Since BRS based their chem's on Randy's recipe, I would assume they are interchangeable? Maybe not?

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. I have the same alk and Ca goals that you have. Until a year ago I always used IO at 1.026. With these conditions dosing kalk and 2-part I went over 5 years without a water change and never had a Ca creep. I use BRS Soda Ash and Calcium Chloride. I manage my dosing as I described above.

Perhaps, the ingredients are the same but the concentrations are different. How quickly would your Ca rise when dosing equal amounts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With 1 dKH per day being dosed, the calcium being dosed with equal parts dosing is only about 6 to 7 ppm per day.

How much calcium rise are you seeing in the week that gets calcium over 500 ppm?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. I have the same alk and Ca goals that you have. Until a year ago I always used IO at 1.026. With these conditions dosing kalk and 2-part I went over 5 years without a water change and never had a Ca creep. I use BRS Soda Ash and Calcium Chloride. I manage my dosing as I described above.

Perhaps, the ingredients are the same but the concentrations are different. How quickly would your Ca rise when dosing equal amounts.

Concentrations should be the same, if made correctly.

But some folks mistakenly make the bicarbonate version alk concentration and the calcium version for the carbonate version, which is twice as concentrated.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concentrations should be the same, if made correctly.

But some folks mistakenly make the bicarbonate version alk concentration and the calcium version for the carbonate version, which is twice as concentrated.
Could this actually be my issue? And all this time I've misunderstood dosing? I have always used your recipe 2 for alkalinity(297G baking soda dissolved in 1G RO/DI), and BRS calcium chloride(2 1/2C to 1G RO/DI) for CAL(your recipe 2 calls for 1 1/4C calcium chloride).

I dose 53ml of alk daily in an 85G system, and if I dosed that much calcium chloride in a week I would be over 500(not sure on exact #, think I cut off dosing @ 460, but it would be close as I have tried it before).

Is it because I dose the carbonate version of ALK, but the bicarb version of CAL? Therefore I would need 1/2 as much CAL as ALK?

I just totally reread your original DIY recipe and that seems to be what I'm doing? I had always thought the 2 recipes were interchangeable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an AHA! moment. And all these years I've been doing it wrong.

Can I just use 1 1/4C of the BRS chem to keep the right ratio then?

Yes, or some amount close to that. :)

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rand
Calcification by corals uses the fixed ratio, as does abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate.

There are some processes that are unbalanced, such as water changes with a mix not matching the tank, or the rise or fall of nitrate. I discuss them in the article below.

In general, unless you use a sulfur denitrator (ituses a lot of alk), the lower your total daily demand, the more likely these typically minor processes are likely to be a large part of the total demand and the more likely you demand varies from teh expected ratio.

If you only consume 0-0.5 dKH per day, these minor processes may be substantial. if you use 2+ dKH per day, it is unlikely you will deviate that much from 1:1 dosing with an appropriately balanced two part.

When Do Calcium and Alkalinity Demand Not Exactly Balance? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
randy you are a backbone of this hobby. Thanks for your many contributions...

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back