2 return pumps one return line

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that will defeat the purpose of having two pumps. If one goes out, the path of least resistance is going to bypass your aquarium and send the return water right back into your sump...

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No video, but putting check valves on the lines would help before the T, but the force would really be pushing against itself. You would be better off with two return pumps with check valves and ball valves, but only use one and either have it turn off and the other on when the flow or voltage is not correct.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run the pumps in a series or parallel

Run the pumps in series? If you have experience with this, I'm definitely interested to hear how it would work but I would be very hesitant to plumb the outlet of one pump into the inlet of another. I don't see how this would increase flow to the display if the second pump isn't running and if both pumps are running, then the flow to the tank would be regulated by the flow created by the second pump's impeller. I would like to see BRS start carrying schedule 80 wye fittings. If I were to run two return pumps (which may be a good use for my AC pump when I upgrade to a DC return as the primary), I would wye in a second pump after my check valve that the main pump flows through and would also have a check valve before that wye from the second pump. I would use the fitting: https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-schedule-80-pvc-wye-875-010.html upside-down from how it's shown in the picture on the product page. Main Pump > Swing Check Valve > Wye straight plumbed to DT. Secondary Pump > Swing Check Valve > 45 degree into wye going to DT. Keeping the check valves as close as possible to the two inlets of the wye.

OP
OP
Mrx7899

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any experience with either set up. I came across them when doing research. When plumbing them in a series it will increase head pressure not so much flow but I'm not looking to get more flow just looking to always have flow if one fails and I'm not around to switch it out.

I don't see why it wouldn't work using that y fitting with 2 check valves as close to the ends as possible and 2 equal size pumps.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the wye would also decrease pressure head on the pump with lower flow by venturi effect. Hey @randyBRS @Ryanbrs , I think I have an upcoming BRSTV Investigates topic! I'd like to see some tests similar to the "Which reduces more flow, 45 or 90 degree elbows" flow test video but with the Neptune FMK utilized to test flow rates of multi-pump returns. 1. Single return pump, 2. two pumps with same flow rating as the first pump, 3. two pumps each with half the flow rating of the first pump. Thanks!

OP
OP
Mrx7899

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or something like this
C441.jpg

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the idea of two return pumps for my tank but my tank only has one return line think you guys can make a little video on different options for hooking two return pumps on one return line.thanks

This would make for one great BRStv Investigates video! Not sure we'll be able to get to it right away, but I'll definitely add it to the idea board! :)

-Randy

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Really like the idea of two return pumps for my tank but my tank only has one return line think you guys can make a little video on different options for hooking two return pumps on one return line.thanks
Why 2 return pumps?

OP
OP
Mrx7899

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case one fails still have one running. If your return pump fails your tank won't last very long no heat no circulation.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In case one fails still have one running. If your return pump fails your tank won't last very long no heat no circulation.
My thought on that involves buying quality equipment in the first place.
In more than 30 years in the saltwater hobby, I've never had a return pump fail outright.

As far as the tank not lasting long without heat, your house would have to be pretty cold to have the tank cool off fast.
I've had power outages that lasted for days and when I had a single generator I would turn it off late at night and then back on early in the morning so my tanks didn't have heat or circulation for 4-5 hours. I never had any serious problems.

OP
OP
Mrx7899

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought on that involves buying quality equipment in the first place.
In more than 30 years in the saltwater hobby, I've never had a return pump fail outright.

As far as the tank not lasting long without heat, your house would have to be pretty cold to have the tank cool off fast.
I've had power outages that lasted for days and when I had a single generator I would turn it off late at night and then back on early in the morning so my tanks didn't have heat or circulation for 4-5 hours. I never had any serious problems.
I buy quality equipment but you never know. My tanks are in my basement I live in Jersey and in the winter if I lost my return pump my tank would be pretty cold because my basement is about 64 degrees.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Having 2 return pumps is as redundant as having 2 jet engines when flying. Jet engines are very reliable, but sometimes they can fail, catch fire, or swallow a goose. My next build will have 2 return pumps.
LOL, that's too funny. I can really see the connection between jet engines and aquarium return pumps.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back