2 Small Tanks into one large sump. Will I regret this?

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a Fiji 32 EXT and a Fiji 11 EXT. Upgrading from an IM 20 AIO.

I also have a Fiji-24 Pro sump.

So without any live rock/sand/etc the total volume is about 43 gallons, and from what information I have found, the sump will run about 15 Gallons in operation, with a total of about 24 total gallons availible.

Both of the tanks have the External overflow, and it seems pretty high-up on the back wall, with a small overflow box on the outside.

Each has the 2 x 3/4" drains (Herbie style), and a total of 3 x 1/2" returns (2 on the 32, one on the 11)

The motivation is to have a fish/coral display in the 32, and a dispaly refugium in the 11g. Both would drain and return from the single sump. They are going back-to-back on a single stand (think 2 penninsula's back to back in the middle of a room with plumbing and sump below)

I originally wanted to drain the 32 into the 11, into the sump, and return to the 32g. After getting these it would be impossible to do that.

Does anyone do this? Is this a bad idea?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, many people run multiple tanks off one sump and it works out fine. As long as you have two overflows (main, emergency) for each tank and the flow through those is never less than your return lines you should be good.

I would definitely run numerous tests where everything is suddenly shutoff so you can gauge how much water drains back into the sump from each tank to ensure the sump will never overflow.

OP
OP
LightingBug

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, many people run multiple tanks off one sump and it works out fine. As long as you have two overflows (main, emergency) for each tank and the flow through those is never less than your return lines you should be good.
I would definitely run numerous tests where everything is suddenly shutoff so you can gauge how much water drains back into the sump from each tank to ensure the sump will never overflow.

Appreciate the input, thx. Good advice on the testing, will definitley do that.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Appreciate the input, thx. Good advice on the testing, will definitley do that.
At some point I hope to add a 40-60 gallon frag tank to join my 200-gallon display tank and I'll be hooking it up to the main sump for similar benefits, ie: existing fleece roller, skimmer, reactors, UV, etc.

OP
OP
LightingBug

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point I hope to add a 40-60 gallon frag tank to join my 200-gallon display tank and I'll be hooking it up to the main sump for similar benefits, ie: existing fleece roller, skimmer, reactors, UV, etc.

That is one of the reasons I elected to try this.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Above ^.
I run two tanks off of one sump.
Using all equipment, skimmer etc for both has its advantages.
I have valves on all return lines.
I only use one return pump but have used two with no issues. Just seemed like overkill and a bit loud.
The weirdest thing is it's all the same water right?
One tank is covered in coralline the other has none.

OP
OP
LightingBug

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above ^.
I run two tanks off of one sump.
Using all equipment, skimmer etc for both has its advantages.
I have valves on all return lines.
I only use one return pump but have used two with no issues. Just seemed like overkill and a bit loud.
The weirdest thing is it's all the same water right?
One tank is covered in coralline the other has none.
Thanks; I like that I can run the same controller (neptune), use a single sump, single Skimmer, UV, etc.

I also have always liked some of the display fuges that some reefers have and wanted to try one. Having the extra 33% water volume was also a plus.

Another question if anyone has thoughts:
I am thinking of dropping the drain line from the fuge only into the "refugium" chamber of the sump, which would put it in the chamber that flows into the return chamber - as opposed to the first chamber that flows into the fleece roller, then skimmer, then return chamber.

My thought is that I really don't want to drop all the "good" stuff that comes out of the fuge through a bunch of filtration. Like pods, etc.

I would still tie the emergency overflows together and those would go into the first chamber.

Am I thinking correctly, or should I run all drains into the first chamber?

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run the drains anywhere you want really.
Wouldn't run them into return pump chamber due to microbubbles but I've even done that.
I've run two skimmers in this sump too.
Right now I have a reactor with denitrate running 9-10 gallons an hour running into skimmer section and GFO running into same section.
But I've run them anywhere really.
It's really all about experimentation. Sumps are so versatile. Just play around with it and see and have fun.
But, number one thing to do is turn off all power and make sure it doesn't overflow.
Number one thing.
Buy some check valves.
Install them in line.
Remember. They fail too.
Hope that helps.
Joel

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back