Franken-Reef; will this work?

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -
I have currently a IM Nuvo 20P (AIO) -

I want to add a "Display Fuge" and a Sump (w/o the fuge).

I am kind of committerd at this point as the Sump and Display Fuge are on a brown truck to my home already.

PXL_20230711_011208382.jpg

There are a few other complications like a UV and Chiller, but those are inline so no worries. I am not worried about flow in the display as I have 2 powerheads that accoplish that.

Going to use Schedule 80 for the fuge, using an elbow from the bulkhead to go down the back of the tank to a homemade "spray bar". Idea there is to get flow down low and as the water bounces off the front glass, then into the external overflow and into the sump.

The IM 20P has a MightyJet DC pump so it can dial down to the flow needed for the fuge. I am also not too worried about flow rate through the sump as the COR-15 I can dial down for the return rate I want for the IM 20P. Really the sump is just for volume and to hide the hardware as well as have my ATO attached.

The Dispaly and the Fuge are both Penninsula's so I will have them mounted back-to-back on my stand (which is really just a rolling kitchen island) so they will be viewable from 360degrees.

The question is -
Will this work plumbing wise? Also, any thoughts or pitfalls to be aware of?

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might not be interpreting your plan correctly but I see issues with pumping water to fuge, overflow to sump, then pumping back to display. How will you equalise the display pump out / pump in flow with two different pumps?

OP
OP
LightingBug

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.
My thought is to pump from the IM (Display) into the fuge, I will dial it in for flow,
then the fuge has its own external overflow, to the sump, then back to the Display through the COR-15.

Would it be better to use an external overflow on the Display -----to the Fuge-----to the Sump-----back to Display?

EDIT TO ADD -
I have the flow rate module for the Apex, so I should be able to exact-tune the sump return as I need.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back