2 week old tank

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 week old tank. Started with live sand, dry rock, and Fritz turbo start. Added fish and turbo start 4 days ago. Both clowns were fine yesterday and looked great. Today one is staying near the same bed and looks pail, breathing rapidly, and eyes aren’t as dark as the other.

All parameters are in the safe zone including ammonia below .02ppm. Nitrate is at 3ppm. Did a 10% water change today when I saw him looking pail and breathing rapidly.

let me know what you think and what I can do.

4246A86C-F3FE-403D-B6B8-E32385A4971F.jpeg D3A79389-9119-4CD0-AFB0-CDB11CCE435C.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3752.MOV
    39.9 MB
  • IMG_3751.MOV
    76.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2 week old tank. Started with live sand, dry rock, and Fritz turbo start. Added fish and turbo start 4 days ago. Both clowns were fine yesterday and looked great. Today one is staying near the same bed and looks pail, breathing rapidly, and eyes aren’t as dark as the other.

All parameters are in the safe zone including ammonia below .02ppm. Nitrate is at 3ppm. Did a 10% water change today when I saw him looking pail and breathing rapidly.

let me know what you think and what I can do.

4246A86C-F3FE-403D-B6B8-E32385A4971F.jpeg D3A79389-9119-4CD0-AFB0-CDB11CCE435C.jpeg
This is called rushing and Never add fish and bacteria together. This is Not freshwater and tank needs to be properly cycled before introduction of fish. In addition to that, how were fish acclimated to tank and for how long ?
These guys are suffering from what looks like Osmotic shock and If they make it would be awesome. Add an airstone for added oxygen and hope for the best and expect the worse. There is nothing I can suggest to add.
Cycling:
Typically you want to add your bacteria and then ammonia chloride or a piece of shrimp (shrimp for 48 hours) WITH NO FISH IN THE TANK. Then you want to monitor ammonia , When your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
Overloading tank with too many fish up front will exceed what the bacteria can handle which is why its best to stock fish slowly over the next few months so that the bacterial levels can adapt to the new loads

What test kits are you using ?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would one fish be affected and not the other if this was due to the tank not being cycled?
Just because it's not clearly suffering yet doesn't mean you haven't injured it by not following the advice everyone gave you in the other thread.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many products that recommend in their instructions to add fish and bacteria together into a new tank. Perhaps they are wrong - I don't know - I have done it hundreds of times. This looks like a lack of quarantine, a problem with aclimation, or something else - without more information - it's difficult to tell IMHO. I do not think it relates to adding bacteria and fish at the same time *unless you did it incorrectly (i.e. expired bacteria, too small a tank, incorrect dose, etc). Can you give any more information. And BTW - sorry your fish are not doing well.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank is cycled, we covered that extensively

You skipped all disease preps though
Did not realize there is another thread but dry rock and turbo and tank is cycled?
Keeps insisting water is good but no numbers.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious - did you post this on another thread? Are there other fish in the tank? Did you treat them with medications before? Were they shipped or did you pick them up from an LFS? If you look at my signature - there is a link on a number of questions that help us help you:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did not realize there is another thread but dry rock and turbo and tank is cycled?
Keeps insisting water is good but no numbers.
You might have missed this: "All parameters are in the safe zone including ammonia below .02ppm. Nitrate is at 3ppm."

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many products that recommend in their instructions to add fish and bacteria together into a new tank. Perhaps they are wrong - I don't know - I have done it hundreds of times. This looks like a lack of quarantine, a problem with aclimation, or something else - without more information - it's difficult to tell IMHO. I do not think it relates to adding bacteria and fish at the same time *unless you did it incorrectly (i.e. expired bacteria, too small a tank, incorrect dose, etc). Can you give any more information.
Curious - did you post this on another thread? Are there other fish in the tank? Did you treat them with medications before? Were they shipped or did you pick them up from an LFS? If you look at my signature - there is a link on a number of questions that help us help you:)
I did not post this in another thread I posted a question about cycling the tank which you can imagine stirred up an argument. I got it from a very good local fish store. I messaged the owner I know he will respond in the morning.

i replied to another post how I acclimated them.

I’ll check levels again and post them in about 10-20 min.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone? Not everyone had the same advice as you not even half.
The person you are talking to would be the one that you should be taking advice from.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did not post this in another thread I posted a question about cycling the tank which you can imagine stirred up an argument. I got it from a very good local fish store. I messaged the owner I know he will respond in the morning.

i replied to another post how I acclimated them.

I’ll check levels again and post them in about 10-20 min.
Thanks - If you do do it with the bacteria and fish on the same day - it can be important to have an ammonia alert badge - or another frequent measure of ammonia available to check daily or 2x/daily.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There are many products that recommend in their instructions to add fish and bacteria together into a new tank. Perhaps they are wrong - I don't know - I have done it hundreds of times. This looks like a lack of quarantine, a problem with aclimation, or something else - without more information - it's difficult to tell IMHO. I do not think it relates to adding bacteria and fish at the same time *unless you did it incorrectly (i.e. expired bacteria, too small a tank, incorrect dose, etc). Can you give any more information. And BTW - sorry your fish are not doing well.
Fritz contains microbes and enzymes and should be added before fish are added as with most denitrifying bacteria. Its speeds up the cycle process and not opening a door to instant or rapid introduction. If both were added at same time, it suggests a proper acclimation was not performed. There is obviously more to this stemming from another thread and is confusing. This OP post indicates a new tank and new fish and bacteria added but apparently there is more.

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - If you do do it with the bacteria and fish on the same day - it can be important to have an ammonia alert badge - or another frequent measure of ammonia available to check daily or 2x/daily.
I have an ammonia alert badge. It was in the safe zone till late yesterday when it spiked to in between safe and alert. I did a 10% water change (not sure if I should have) and its now safe again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back