2 week old tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The person you are talking to would be the one that you should be taking advice from.
Perhaps you are not aware - there are a group of people who give advice here on R2R about fish disease there is a hashtag to call them. So - it's not uncommon for multiple people from this group of I believe 6 or 8 people to answer. And in general we agree 95% of the time. Just so you're aware.

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz contains microbes and enzymes and should be added before fish are added as with most denitrifying bacteria. Its speeds up the cycle process and not opening a door to instant or rapid introduction. If both were added at same time, it suggests a proper acclimation was not performed. There is obviously more to this stemming from another thread and is confusing. This OP post indicates a new tank and new fish and bacteria added but apparently there is more.
I didn't add them at the same time. I added them at 6am on the day I added fish at 6pm. LFS and multiple experienced reefers said that would be okay.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - did you post this on another thread? Are there other fish in the tank? Did you treat them with medications before? Were they shipped or did you pick them up from an LFS? If you look at my signature - there is a link on a number of questions that help us help you:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fritz contains microbes and enzymes and should be added before fish are added as with most denitrifying bacteria. Its speeds up the cycle process and not opening a door to instant or rapid introduction. If both were added at same time, it suggests a proper acclimation was not performed. There is obviously more to this stemming from another thread and is confusing. This OP post indicates a new tank and new fish and bacteria added but apparently there is more.
Correct. I did not know about another thread. FYI - Both Dr. Tims and Fritz also have protocols for adding fish and bacteria on day 1. Whether a lot of people agree with that or not - is not the question. I tend (in setting up a new tank) - to add bacteria on day 0 - and add fish on day 1. Which is also not strictly following the instructions. I was merely posting that the product he used - lists his method as an option. By the way - IF one decides to do this - of course one would not add an entire bio load to a tank. It's a method of adding fish slowly. Thats why the size of the tank is important. If it was a goldfish bowl - that would be a problem - if it was a 300 gallon tank - with 2 clowns it would not be an issue with or without bacteria IMHO.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The person you are talking to would be the one that you should be taking advice from.

Perhaps you are not aware - there are a group of people who give advice here on R2R about fish disease there is a hashtag to call them. So - it's not uncommon for multiple people from this group of I believe 6 or 8 people to answer. And in general we agree 95% of the time. Just so you're aware.
We're you one of these who gave advice other then wait for the cycle to be completed?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We're you one of these who gave advice other then wait for the cycle to be completed?
I'm not sure which thread you're talking about - this one or another one. I stated - There are products which allow fish and bacteria to be added on day 1. Thats true.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure which thread you're talking about - this one or another one. I stated - There are products which allow fish and bacteria to be added on day 1. Thats true.
Yes there is. Look above for a link

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from looking at the clown he seems like he has some kind of bacteria infection and looks like he hasn't eaten at all. probably was a bad fish from the get go. regardless of the cycle stuff I skipped that, just looking at the fish

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
47ga RedSea Reefer. Added Agra Live sand and dry rock on 1/15/2023 (1 week old not 2 weeks old). Ran for 4 days. On Day 4 I added 2 1oz bottles of turbo stat at 6am and 2 clowns at 6pm. I let them acclimate in the bag in the tank salinty matched. Fish looked good on Day 5 and ammonia was in the safe zone on the badge and tested 0 on a salifort test. Both clowns were swimming about and looking great on Day 6 and were fed. Late on day 6 it looks like ammonia spiked near the alert section of the badge and nitrate tested at 3ppm. This morning on day 7 I did a 10% water change and ammonia has dropped back down to safe. Testing nitrate again now.

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand the rush to add fish. I used the so called live sand in the bag which is BS. I added smart start and still waited 6 weeks before adding any fish.
This is very informative and helpful thank you so much for the assistance.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes there is. Look above for a link
My opinion is quite strongly - that assuming the OP followed the instructions on the Fritz bottle, and had the fish in a let's say a 15-20 gallon aquarium - there should be no problem. Again - assume adequate flow, that the tests he's posted are correct, and etc - the bacteria etc - are not what are causing his problem. Thats my opinion. I read through the debate on the other thread - and it's not point in re-addressing some of the points already made there - the question here is what's hurting his fish. IMHO - it's not bottled bacteria and dry rock - based on the data presented.

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of flow. Between the return pump (turned down due to size of the fish) and the vortech mp10 I have made sure that woulnt be an issue

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
47ga RedSea Reefer. Added Agra Live sand and dry rock on 1/15/2023 (1 week old not 2 weeks old). Ran for 4 days. On Day 4 I added 2 1oz bottles of turbo stat at 6am and 2 clowns at 6pm. I let them acclimate in the bag in the tank salinty matched. Fish looked good on Day 5 and ammonia was in the safe zone on the badge and tested 0 on a salifort test. Both clowns were swimming about and looking great on Day 6 and were fed. Late on day 6 it looks like ammonia spiked near the alert section of the badge and nitrate tested at 3ppm. This morning on day 7 I did a 10% water change and ammonia has dropped back down to safe. Testing nitrate again now.
So this is new 'news'. The fact the the ammonia 'spiked' - means it wasn't <0.2 ppm or 0.3, Having said that - the 'near the alert level' - would be unlikely to cause this issue - on a short-term basis. The fact that the 'spike' - if there was one - happened when you fed the fish - COULD mean you fed them 'too much'. Though I support the method of adding fish and bacteria on day 1 - there is a point to holding back feeding, etc some for the first couple days. As I believe @brandon429 would suggest - the likelihood is a possible disease as #1, poor fish quality / stress as #2 and since you mentioned the ammonia spike - #3 would be related to that. But it's doubtful - knowing the research on how much free ammonia clownfish generally tolerate. IF one is going to use the method of bacteria and fish on day 1 - I think it's extremely important to be very frequently measuring. If I had noticed a 'spike' - I would have done an immediate water change (using one of the calculators),

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is new 'news'. The fact the the ammonia 'spiked' - means it wasn't <0.2 ppm or 0.3, Having said that - the 'near the alert level' - would be unlikely to cause this issue - on a short-term basis. The fact that the 'spike' - if there was one - happened when you fed the fish - COULD mean you fed them 'too much'. Though I support the method of adding fish and bacteria on day 1 - there is a point to holding back feeding, etc some for the first couple days. As I believe @brandon429 would suggest - the likelihood is a possible disease as #1, poor fish quality / stress as #2 and since you mentioned the ammonia spike - #3 would be related to that. But it's doubtful - knowing the research on how much free ammonia clownfish generally tolerate. IF one is going to use the method of bacteria and fish on day 1 - I think it's extremely important to be very frequently measuring. If I had noticed a 'spike' - I would have done an immediate water change (using one of the calculators),
I guess spike is the wrong term. It never went above alert. I waited 24 hours and fed very little. Both fish ate everything I offered. I did do a water change. Based on your response and others it sounds more like the fish had a bacterial infection when I got it and I didn't treat it rather then a problem with the cycling.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used fritz every tank and fish same day or next day. Never had any issues i would agree with @MnFish1 there is something else going on health wise of the fish nothing to do with the tank or cycle process that was used. I have 2 very successful tanks using this method. One that was dry rock and dry sand. Another that was 1 piece of live rock and live sand rest dry rock. The point to fritz is your introducing beneficial bacteria right away that does immediately start working on the cycle is it instant snap of the finger no. But has it worked time and time again with multiple users on here yes. Now back to his question. I would say there is something internal going on and proper qt might help but it might be too late at this point. Was he eating when you fed on day 6.

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, in the end these are animals, we need to do right by them and have patients. Do it right . No matter what a product says
You are 100% right. There's an entire study proving Turbo Starts' ability to keep Ammonia at safe to 0 levels for weeks. I follow the data and also took in expert advice. I respect you're opinion and for not completely attacking me. At this point, I did what I did and I just now need to know what to do for the one of two clowns that isn't looking well.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish were put into an incomplete cycle tank and suffered ammonia poisoning. They may survive or may not but certainly will have residual affects from this shortening life spans. This is evident by your admission to an ammonia spike after adding the fish. The 3ppm nitrates reading is irrelevant because of the error rate in test kits. Your tank was beginning to cycle and grow nitrifying bacteria but you rushed the process and hurt the fish. Learn from the mistake.

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used fritz every tank and fish same day or next day. Never had any issues i would agree with @MnFish1 there is something else going on health wise of the fish nothing to do with the tank or cycle process that was used. I have 2 very successful tanks using this method. One that was dry rock and dry sand. Another that was 1 piece of live rock and live sand rest dry rock. The point to fritz is your introducing beneficial bacteria right away that does immediately start working on the cycle is it instant snap of the finger no. But has it worked time and time again with multiple users on here yes. Now back to his question. I would say there is something internal going on and proper qt might help but it might be too late at this point. Was he eating when you fed on day 6.
He did eat and looked normal. The other Clown is looking great.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back