Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!
So i have decided to start a new tank (not my first or 2nd).

I'll be going for the Innovative marine 20 gallon long peninsula all in one tank.

So now i have to pick a light fixture that can have full coverage of the tank as i will have it setup in a peninsula style. I want the light capable of growing sps and has an app to control on your phone.

I would love some reviews on lights from you guys, would love to hear out the pros and cons of the lights you guys suggest for me.

Thanks in advance!!!
Happy reefing

Reefermadness89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the marine orbit ic pro dual fixture,
Comes with a Bluetooth controller and controls return pumps and wave makers as well.
I’ve seen a few posts here and other places of people growing sps higher up.
So far my zoa seems to love the lighting,
Not sure your budget or how much sps you want but that’s what I’m using on the exact same tank.

OP
OP
H

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used those before on a 20gal but not the pro version. I really loved them and thier features, but the light didnt last 2years. I checked the par reading after 2 years and its 10pars with full intensity and i have them layed on on the tank so they aren't hanging.
Im still using thier pump and 3 wave makers and i love them!
Im leaning towards the AI prime but looks like they are out of stock might have to check my lfs's
Let me know how your lights do.

Reefermadness89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pro version has a few updates to the performance of the leds.
So far everything seems to like them,
Including the hammer and gsp I just got.
The ai prime has the older gen on sale most places if they still have stock, they are rolling out or already have rolled out the new ai prime models. A few new features and more leds in a smaller spot.
My issue is it didn’t seem like the best even coverage for a 20 long, and with the peninsula style tank, I wanted even lighting around the entirety of my tank.
I realize they might not last 2 years, but by then leds will Be cheaper, or the black boxes will still be cheap but better (this is how the hobby drone industry has played out, a lot of the “banggood” brands are pretty much on par with the 5x more expensive goods, but name brand will always have a few perks for sure.
If you go ai, maybe get the hydra and set it higher up, and just deal with the light spillage lol

OP
OP
H

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about this fixture when you said go ai hydra?
You don't think i can have it 1foot above the tank and get full coverage?

Screenshot_20191017-214541_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pro version has a few updates to the performance of the leds.
So far everything seems to like them,
Including the hammer and gsp I just got.
The ai prime has the older gen on sale most places if they still have stock, they are rolling out or already have rolled out the new ai prime models. A few new features and more leds in a smaller spot.
My issue is it didn’t seem like the best even coverage for a 20 long, and with the peninsula style tank, I wanted even lighting around the entirety of my tank.
I realize they might not last 2 years, but by then leds will Be cheaper, or the black boxes will still be cheap but better (this is how the hobby drone industry has played out, a lot of the “banggood” brands are pretty much on par with the 5x more expensive goods, but name brand will always have a few perks for sure.
If you go ai, maybe get the hydra and set it higher up, and just deal with the light spillage lol

Can i ask for a picture of how you have your lights set up on your tank im really interested in what it looks like.
Thanks in advance.
Ps. You've been really helpful so far!!

Reefermadness89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah when I get home I’ll get you some for sure
There’s also the build link in my profile, I’ve been updating everything there.
Something to keep in mind,
These lights are not strong enough to over blast my current corals, so it may not be enough for higher light sps, I’ve only seen a few posts on this version of the light, but the 20L threads seemed pretty solid with great growth pics, I can try to link that later as wel.
They are sitting mostly towards the center to get min light spillage and to have the whole tank covered.
I also notice min. Shadowing, these lights have a solid spread, not to mention the Bluetooth controller for Wavemaker lights and return pump is super smooth. I’d buy them again if I had the chance, as I didn’t want to get 360$ lights for a 20L for me they are the right choice

Last edited:

Reefermadness89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the next day after a full photoperiod with the light.
The first hammer and gsp pictures were the same day i got them so they weren’t happy lol

05BCF5C9-5998-48FD-AB89-FAD64104C112.jpeg 5CED788B-60CB-4569-954C-2833F8C5D62B.jpeg

OP
OP
H

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow looks great! Reminds me of my first reef tank that was also a 20long with those same lights (not pro). I ended up upgrading to a 100gal and set it up in the dining room, than i realized i have tank syndrome and got a all in one 10gal in my bedroom and now im buying a 20gal long aio to add in my bedroom lol!!!

I find that the 20gal is the best size tank and its so much easier to move when you need too, the way im setting up my new 20gal is im going to add about 3 rock structures and they must fit in 5gal buckets so it'll be easier to move when i need too.

Hey thanks a lot man for sharing your build I've made up my mind and im going with the new hydras 32.

Reefermadness89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydra is the better choice no doubt. For the price and for what I want in this tank these are great, but I’ll be going hydras for the 50frag tank I’ve been eyeing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back