20 inch Zebra Eel…how much would you feed?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if I’m doing this right. I have a currently 20 inch long zebra moray eel in my 310 gallon. After a week in my tank he’s finally started eating. I fed him a piece of raw uncooked table shrimp. And then 3 days later I fed him a scallop. Plan on feeding him again again tomorrow. I have table shrimp, scallops, and squid tubes. Just wondering how large or how many pieces of food for my size eel I should possibly be feeding and if every 3 days is good, too frequent, too little.
C9A730B2-D665-48AA-8BC4-46710FBD30FA.jpeg
35626826-B5E4-4686-85A2-8E95BAE73C44.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to feed slices rather than chunks, I cut my servings about the width of the eyes and about 2" long, that's a rough guide. You can fine tune the sizing from there for your individual needs. Larger pieces tend to get messier and can induce regurgitation. Eels eat on a gorge/fast cycle, feed them their full on feeding days, then give them a few days between for digestion. Take it slow and offer pieces until they refuse, you'll fine tune the schedule and amount. Allow them to get active and go into hunting mode before you feed them again. One feeding they may just take one or two pieces, the next time they may take four. It is important to feed their full, as under feeding can be an issue, they will likely eat much more than you may expect. They are a growing boy/girl, about every 3 days is a good rule of thumb for a growing zebra.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to feed slices rather than chunks, I cut my servings about the width of the eyes and about 2" long, that's a rough guide. You can fine tune the sizing from there for your individual needs. Larger pieces tend to get messier and can induce regurgitation. Eels eat on a gorge/fast cycle, feed them their full on feeding days, then give them a few days between for digestion. Take it slow and offer pieces until they refuse, you'll fine tune the schedule and amount. Allow them to get active and go into hunting mode before you feed them again. One feeding they may just take one or two pieces, the next time they may take four. It is important to feed their full, as under feeding can be an issue, they will likely eat much more than you may expect. They are a growing boy/girl, about every 3 days is a good rule of thumb for a growing zebra.
Another question I have is that I keep it refrigerated but i freeze it after 4-5 days. Should I fully thaw the frozen completely for 24 hours before feeding it? Or is let’s say like half thawed okay to feed to the eels?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question I have is that I keep it refrigerated but i freeze it after 4-5 days. Should I fully thaw the frozen completely for 24 hours before feeding it? Or is let’s say like half thawed okay to feed to the eels?

Question, would like eating half thawed food, I place my frozen bits into a container with water to thaw. I use purified water, you can also use tank water. Usually takes 10 minutes or so.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back