20 long build journal

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I’m talking with a friend about stocking right now he brought up someone I know’s tank and I’m going to replicate it. I’m going to let what comes on my live rock I buy grow out and also I’m going to get things like xenia gorgs and macdo algae. I’m not trying to make like a marine planted tank or anything, I’m trying to replicate a habitat of small reef fish like gobies ans blenines. my freind said I should just be concerned about aggression and not bioload And If Id make a lot of hiding places I could make a nice tank. I’m planning on making 1 side of the tank have mostly macros and gorgs and things then the other side have like sponges Xenia’s fans and other soft corals. For stocking I’m not super shure yet but I want lots of biodiversity. I’m really eyeing bicintus clowns and skunks are kinda cool too. Any fish with a similar shape and proportion to clarkii is on my wishlist. I like the beady eyes and the big mouth on fish like clarkii and wasp fish. I’m thinking I want a perchlet and probably clingfish for sure. I might not do clowns but idk. I’m gonna keep it simple and just dose nilocg ans a bit of calcium if needed then use fine crushed coral for the benefits of microfauna. I’m going to use 25 lb salty bottom specialty rock, recommended by my friend and I’m gonna use my Hob and a powerhead as main filtration. Lighting will be floodlights or kessil 24w bulbs depending on what’s available at the time. I Will update as the situation changes.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I’m talking with a friend about stocking right now he brought up someone I know’s tank and I’m going to replicate it. I’m going to let what comes on my live rock I buy grow out and also I’m going to get things like xenia gorgs and macdo algae. I’m not trying to make like a marine planted tank or anything, I’m trying to replicate a habitat of small reef fish like gobies ans blenines. my freind said I should just be concerned about aggression and not bioload And If Id make a lot of hiding places I could make a nice tank. I’m planning on making 1 side of the tank have mostly macros and gorgs and things then the other side have like sponges Xenia’s fans and other soft corals. For stocking I’m not super shure yet but I want lots of biodiversity. I’m really eyeing bicintus clowns and skunks are kinda cool too. Any fish with a similar shape and proportion to clarkii is on my wishlist. I like the beady eyes and the big mouth on fish like clarkii and wasp fish. I’m thinking I want a perchlet and probably clingfish for sure. I might not do clowns but idk. I’m gonna keep it simple and just dose nilocg ans a bit of calcium if needed then use fine crushed coral for the benefits of microfauna. I’m going to use 25 lb salty bottom specialty rock, recommended by my friend and I’m gonna use my Hob and a powerhead as main filtration. Lighting will be floodlights or kessil 24w bulbs depending on what’s available at the time. I Will update as the situation changes.
Love this systems concept!!!!

Looking forward to watching this unfold! Love the idea of you using macroalgae, I am in full support of that!

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomato clowns are kinda cool. I’m thinking a pair of those then nano fish. I realized that all these fish are like 1-2” and not like 0.5” like the fish I have in my 40g

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8A21F153-D286-41E1-9E36-48739B348139.jpeg
Heee is the tank I’m inspired by. Not a clean macro tank but a dirty realistic mixed tank

Attachments

• 6336174B-771C-4E0E-B3C4-57E872F51194.jpeg
    6336174B-771C-4E0E-B3C4-57E872F51194.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to find natural botanicals like seeds of mangrove and like sea oats and little thin sticks by the water so I can give the tank the feel Of a beach

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tanks like 10g and he has a pair of blue cardinals a pair or trio of clingfish (gobies) then I think a couple blenines or brotulids

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically wanna have like a pair of clowns or some more active fish then like 1 active fish besides the others then lots of characters in the tank like porcelain crabs shrimp and things

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That second photo is a tank full of dying/ticked off nps
and sponges (large sponges like brag just don’t do well in captivity, even large public aquariums have a hard time keeping them alive even short term), and some sad looking gorgonians. Even the toadstool in that photo looks upset. Really the only thing that looks decent is the caulerpa. Someone either set all this up for a photo op, or they were just documenting the death of a bunch of animals (given how bad the sponges look, I’m guessing it’s the latter).

OP, I really, really hope you don’t attempt to keep animals such as these in a nano (or really at all). You won’t be the one to figure out how to keep them alive (especially considering you don’t have any experience in keeping reef aquariums, let alone NPS filter feeders), it’s been tried and tried and some things just don’t belong in captivity. Small sponges (like pineapple sponges) that come in on live rock can thrive in aquariums, but larger sponges like the ones pictured quickly waste away in aquariums. This isn’t about gatekeeping or telling you that your lack of experience means you won’t have a successful aquarium, these are animals that no one should be attempting to keep.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s one of the best reef tsnks I have seen b/c it Could be achiveable by me. It’s not like the corals are sps acropora glowing corals But they still look heathy to me. Im pretty sure he got most of the stuff off of his LR. I’m getting Lr Covered in sponges and coral and tunicates and cucumbers and things

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna change it to more of a Drop off. What I’m gonna do is take bottles and clay pots and drop them in a pool with a tote with baffles in it and see how they fall

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want it to look like kinda there is a little flat area in the middle with macros then a incline on the left with softies like Xenia and long tentacle things PS gorgs mabye a nem more complex macros and mangroves in the middle has caluerpa then on the right I will have my nps and other coral and it will be the darker area where I might get a cryptic nano fish that likes dim light

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a sketch I made. The right has more coral than the left mostly b/c it’s going to go where my head is in my bed so I can look at it

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your friends told you to jump off a bridge would you? Sounds like you have a lot of “friends” that have no clue about sw. also, the constant hating on expensive tanks/ “glow” corals is a little silly.

You seem to be in this mindset that this tank with live rock covered in random organisms directly from the ocean is gonna somehow turn into a massive sick biotope which is wrong. 95% of the stuff on the rock will die off once in your tank. You are very young which I get but sheesh do yourself a favor and listen to ppl on here, read some threads on nps systems, don’t say oh this bajillion $ item is ridiculous. Because at some point you may actually get a tank and then no ones gonna respond because of all these silly posts you’ve made.

honestly I don’t know why I even posted on here as I’ll either get ignored or told your “friends” are right and I’m wrong...lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back