Status
Not open for further replies.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh in my 10g like 6 cories 10 pencilfish 11 hyphessobrycon bentosi (tetra) and then my 4 psudomugil then all my fry I have in thwt tank. Then in my 20 long 4 keyhole chiclid 2 Pearl gourami 4 Siamese algae eater 7 rainbows a bn pleco and a half banded spiny eel. I’d do weekly water changes 50% as opposed to no water changes at all to cope with the stock and I’d throw my 10 gallon’s unused filter on my 20 long and a airstone in my 10g then I’d have a empty 40g but I’d need a 20 long and 10g to do my crazy display refugium phytoplankton doser bloom skimmer scrubber craziness
Those tanks are way overstocked.

What species of Corydoras do you have in the 10g? Most Corydoras species need a minimum tank size of 20 gallons. (A US 20g Long)

Pencilfish (not sure what species you posses) usually need a 20 gallon tank as a bare minimum.

Hyphessobrycon Bentosi (Ornate Tetra) need a minimum tank size of 30 gallons

None of the species you mentioned above, are suitable in a 10 gallon tank, regardless of the filtration/water changing schedule. They don’t have enough swim room.

—-

The 20 gallon tank is even more overstocked.

Keyhole Cichlids need a minimum tank size of 30 gallons. A 20 gallon tank MIGHT work for the 4, if that was all that was in the tank. However, that is not the case.

Keyholes can also get very aggressive during breeding time, and should not be kept with other fish during that period.

Pearl Gouramis need a minimum tank size of 30 gallons as well, and aren’t suitable for that tank.

****Siamese Algae Eaters****

Are completely not suitable for a 20 gallon tank. A group of Siamese need a 100 gallon tank as a minimum. They need tons of swimming room, and need to be kept in groups of 6+.

I assume when you say “Rainbowfish”, you mean Melanotaenia boesemani. In that case, Boesemani Rainbowfish need a minimum tank size of 30 gallon, and need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, preferably 8+.

Half Banded Spiny Eel’s need a minimum tank size of 30 gallons. The tank needs to have a much bigger length x width, than height measurement.

——

I’m not going to even go into the water hardness issues that you may run into.

Half of the fish mentioned above need hard water, while half or more need soft/moderately soft.

—-

You can’t just overstock a tank and say, “Oh yeah, it’ll be fine, because I’m going to do 50% water changes and add another filter!”.

It just doesn’t work like that. An extra filter won’t do anything.

Filters keep the water clear, not clean. You should be performing 60%-70% water changes every week, in all of your tanks, regardless of your stock.

—-

Did you do any research before getting any of your fish??

I’m very concerned about you and your fishkeeping, especially considering your other thread that got locked, because you refused to take other people suggestions.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s not sry bro but honestly that’s wayyyyyy to many fish. If it was me I would maybe keep abt 5 neon tetras or maybe even a beta. It’s not good for the fish to be so crowded :(
I know crowding isn’t good but i don’t even think it’s gonna happen. I’m either gonna move or I’m just gonna buy a 10g and 5G and do a 20 long adaptation of the tank. The general idea is you have 3/4 of half of the volume be sump and fuge then you have the rest be display

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What species of Corydoras do you have in the 10g? Most Corydoras species need a minimum tank size of 20 gallons. (A US 20g Long)

Pencilfish (not sure what species you posses) usually need a 20 gallon tank as a bare minimum.

None of the species you mentioned above, are suitable in a 10 gallon tank, regardless of the filtration/water changing schedule. They don’t have enough swim room.

—-

Keyhole Cichlids need a minimum tank size of 30 gallons. A 20 gallon tank MIGHT work for the 4, if that was all that was in the tank. However, that is not the case.

Keyholes can also get very aggressive during breeding time, and should not be kept with other fish during that period.

Pearl Gouramis need a minimum tank size of 30 gallons as well, and aren’t suitable for that tank.

Are completely not suitable for a 20 gallon tank. A group of Siamese need a 100 gallon tank as a minimum. They need tons of swimming room, and need to be kept in groups of 6+.

I assume when you say “Rainbowfish”, you mean Melanotaenia boesemani. In that case, Boesemani Rainbowfish need a minimum tank size of 30 gallon, and need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, preferably 8+.

Half Banded Spiny Eel’s need a minimum tank size of 30 gallons. The tank needs to have a much bigger length x width, than height measurement.

——

Half of the fish mentioned above need hard water, while half or more need soft/moderately soft.

—-

You can’t just overstock a tank and say, “Oh yeah, it’ll be fine, because I’m going to do 50% water changes and add another filter!”.

Filters keep the water clear, not clean. You should be performing 60%-70% water changes every week, in all of your tanks, regardless of your stock.

—-

I’m very concerned about you and your fishkeeping, especially considering your other thread that got locked, because you refused to take other people suggestions.
Wow you really know your stuff!! Thank you! Noah, it’s not cool to abuse fish. You may not realize it but you kinda are. Please do your research and take peoples advice! These aren’t toys, they are living animals.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

—-

——

—-

—-

I do do research but I designed my tanks to not require water changes, the only water changes I’ve done recently was 1 time to finish the cycle in my 40g

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That book explains how it works. I have extreme density of plants and deep substrate and the author herself dosent filter her aquariums

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know crowding isn’t good but i don’t even think it’s gonna happen. I’m either gonna move or I’m just gonna buy a 10g and 5G and do a 20 long adaptation of the tank. The general idea is you have 3/4 of half of the volume be sump and fuge then you have the rest be display
You're already over crowding your fish. It's like keeping a Betta in the stupid cups they sell them in, but because you change half the water occasionally it's ok.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to get into much arguing about freshwater though, this is reef2reef not plantedtank2plantedtank my tanks are doing fine in the end.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 45 fish in my 40g and 10teeny tiny fish in my 10g I wouldn’t call it overcrowded imo, I could have less in my 40 which would be ideal but it still works out, no stressed fish no bad water and fish are breeding

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you really know your stuff!! Thank you! Noah, it’s not cool to abuse fish. You may not realize it but you kinda are. Please do your research and take peoples advice! These aren’t toys, they are living animals.
Thank you! I have kept freshwater fish for over 6 years, and have learned a lot. :)

I do agree with you - fish aren’t just cheap toys or entertainment. They are living, breathing creatures.

I do do research but I designed my tanks to not require water changes, the only water changes I’ve done recently was 1 time to finish the cycle in my 40g
You can’t just “design” a tank, to not require water changes. All tanks need to her serviced weekly, with water changes and substrate vacuums.

You need to be doing at least 50% water changes in all of your tanks, weekly. It is strongly recommended to perform 60%-70% water changes weekly.

If you have only done one water change in all the time you’ve kept fish, you’re doing a lot wrong.

I honestly feel sorry for your fish.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized that play sand exists and it’s fine to use in reef tanks, I don’t know why ppl use only live sand buffering only works when the ph is low and the silica diffuses slower than it does from the glass itself

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have kept freshwater fish for over 6 years, and have learned a lot. :)

I do agree with you - fish aren’t just cheap toys or entertainment. They are living, breathing creatures.

You can’t just “design” a tank, to not require water changes. All tanks need to her serviced weekly, with water changes and substrate vacuums.

You need to be doing at least 50% water changes in all of your tanks, weekly. It is strongly recommended to perform 60%-70% water changes weekly.

If you have only done one water change in all the time you’ve kept fish, you’re doing a lot wrong.

I honestly feel sorry for your fish.
My gravel substrate has nothing trapped inside except dirt particles from my dirt under the tank and mulm from decomposing plants. The bacteria in the substrate (I have 100 lbs of substrate inside) all decompose matter and then convert it to nitrate then my denitrifying media completely turns it into nitrogen which gasses off through the surface agitation from my air stone and I nutrient export with floater removal

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is no one saying anything about the rain system he mentioned lol. Reef fish don’t behave like fw fish.
Sheesh I’m gone for a couple hours and have 20 minutes worth of pages to catch up on!
Dosent it rain in the ocean? I’d add the ato rain to the display refugium because storms are more common inland

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to simplify the system and just do the phyto scrubber in a 5G then a 10g for a display fuge, I would keep like a pair of gobies and a shrimp In the fuge then other stuff in the dt. No need to move tanks I’d just need to spend a little bit more money to get 2 tanks and some pipes and pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back