Status
Not open for further replies.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need a ton of solution to do that, its also about the plastics used becoming unreliable over time because it is mechanical, and issues reading due to air bubbles as well as super low precision. Definitely a ballpark reading but not an accurate tool like a refractometer or drop in hydrometer

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need a ton of solution to do that, its also about the plastics used becoming unreliable over time because it is mechanical, and issues reading due to air bubbles as well as super low precision. Definitely a ballpark reading but not an accurate tool like a refractometer or drop in hydrometer
You mean those glass thermometers for reefs? I could do one of those they are about same price

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will calibrate my swing arm. I’ve heard multiple people say it works
Do yourself a favour. Spend another $10 extra and get a refractometer

Those swing arm hydrometers are not worth the plastic they're made from. They can be wildly inaccurate
micro bubbles can get caught under the swing arm itself and cause incorrect SG reading for example. Not worth the aggravation.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will I need for a rotifer and phyto drip besides a fuge light and pump. Should I run the 50 gph pump or will all the rotifer just go into the tank. Also how will I protect from a siphon if the power goes out

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favour. Spend another $10 extra and get a refractometer

Those swing arm hydrometers are not worth the plastic they're made from. They can be wildly inaccurate
micro bubbles can get caught under the swing arm itself and cause incorrect SG reading for example. Not worth the aggravation.

Ok I will just get the refrsctometer probably

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will I need for a rotifer and phyto drip besides a fuge light and pump. Should I run the 50 gph pump or will all the rotifer just go into the tank. Also how will I protect from a siphon if the power goes out
the drip doesnt run by power anyway and is always a siphon so idk what you mean

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you growing rotifers again? Not sure if I miss that part. Also where are you planning to grow them? A fuge? A separate tank? A bottle? Just trying to picture the setup here.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need around 400 calc 8 alk idk what mag I need though. And I also need a 8.2 ish ph and >.010 phos and under 10 nitrate

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’m going to dip because I’m not going to be keeping like rare coral so I don’t care if like some of my Xenia gets eaten

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you planning on running a refugium above the tank with a pump inside to supply it? Not a great idea with a macro algae tank as the macro will block the pump way too quickly, also you dont need cheato outside of a macroalgae tank, just put it into the display

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto cultures can be made easily in a 1 gallon jar, air bubbler, no need to drip phyto constantly though or to make a rotifer culture. Easier to just stick to frozen and freeze dried foods like LRS reef frenzy and BRS Reef Chili as they work well

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia is the worst though and kills everything else, make sure to dip anything. Also xenia is a ridiculously fast grower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back