OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I think I will put the mantis (if I find any on the lr) in tubs then. A large tperware (like 18”x12”x6” deep) with seran wrap then a air bubble would work right?

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That person must be incredibly rich to risk keeping a gem tang with a mantis. Mantis are opportunistic predators, which means they will kill and eat fish if they are able to. That's not very easy, especially for smashers, so it won't happen very often, but it can happen at any time.

So the question you have to ask yourself is this: Do you want a mantis shrimp badly enough that you are willing to risk losing a fish to it?
Not really. I wouldn’t know what to do with one though if I found one besides kill it or put it in a Tub with a piece of pvc and a bit of macroalgae

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I think I will put the mantis (if I find any on the lr) in tubs then. A large tperware (like 18”x12”x6” deep) with seran wrap then a air bubble would work right?
key difference between would work vs a good idea

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I wouldn’t know what to do with one though if I found one besides kill it or put it in a Tub with a piece of pvc and a bit of macroalgae
Better idea would be to give it to your LFS. Most places should accept them, especially if they're colourful. You might even get some store credit for it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about mantis. Do the gulf types bother fish a lot? I know the big kinds do but people say they don’t and I know someone has gulf mantis with gem tang

they can bother and eat small fish if they want to.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should shut down your fresh waters and if you havent had copper in the tanks. Just start doing sw. You are the type of person who learns from doing i feel like. Lots of talk but i think your key knowledge will come from 1st hand exp.
You got this. Get salty noah. Lol
D

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up with a mantis, toss that thing up for sale for $20. +shipping. Have your folks help you ship it, or sell it locally. Fund something you want in your tank. I know in some areas mantis shrimps are hard to come by. I had to special order mine.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should shut down your fresh waters and if you havent had copper in the tanks. Just start doing sw. You are the type of person who learns from doing i feel like. Lots of talk but i think your key knowledge will come from 1st hand exp.
D
I took down all my fw tanks to set up my sw tanks. It was definitely a good idea.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D
My mom doesn’t want me to break down my fw i don’t pay alot of attention to my fw because I designed my tanks to go Without maintenance for months but I still like to watch and feed my tanks

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting a skimmer? Lol
D
No I can’t afford one right now. I’d wall myself from a skimmer until I want sps and things which I don’t seriously care about. I will probably build a phyto culture scrubber thing i saw on a thread into my tank which will make the water super clean

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 thing about fresh is it’s impossible to fail it. I literally have pond mud and pond plants in my tank no issues with supposedly super delicate fish and they are thriving without any support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%

Back