Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think aquacultured fish are less hardy? Is that how it is for fw?

I find the opposite to be true for sw. Most captive bred salt fish come from wild caught parents and are hardy and adapted to aquarium life and readily eat.

I have had a captive bred stippled clingfish before and they are hardy and cool. They don’t hide and you can hand feed them like the video shows.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on fahrenheit as we use celsius here but freshwater bolis at 100 celsius and salt water slightly higher boiling point from what i remember from school days and plumbing.
For fwiw it something like double the number in Celsius and add 10 or 20 or something like this but cant remember so saltwater would boil at 210-220 fahrenheit but we never going boil our salt water tanks i wouldnt of thought so kinda irrelevant ha ha and im probably wrong anyhow ^_^

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liters are not as cool as gallons but they’re gaining

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when everyone speaks in gallons they speaking of us gallons i take it ? And not imperial gallons?
I take it us gallons on this site as American and would depend what site/ which part world you in also.so when stocking speaking/ thinking of a different measurement could affect stocking suggestions or recommendation i guess hey

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to research how I can make my water as clean as possible w/o a skimmer and lots of sites are saying algae scrubber or a hob refugium

Perhaps you would consider doing weekly water changes. or does that blaspheme the 'natural' tank you're going for ? Well, some days that's what you're going for other days something completely different. I've lost track..

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try this. I really want to be able to organically control my nutrients with water changes and macroalgae export as opposed to a skimmer because it eases maintenance when I’m on vacation
you do no need an hob if you are planning a macroalgae tank, just grow the algae in the tank. Refugiums just give you a place to shelter the chaeto and macro and provide it with specific spectrum of light using another source of light as macro doesnt grow as well under regular reef leds, including the viparspectra. They like a planted tank spectrum

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you do no need an hob if you are planning a macroalgae tank, just grow the algae in the tank. Refugiums just give you a place to shelter the chaeto and macro and provide it with specific spectrum of light using another source of light as macro doesnt grow as well under regular reef leds, including the viparspectra. They like a planted tank spectrum
I was gonna run my lights like 60% blue 50% white

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went fishing yesterday, and was great btw, but now the thread has doubled... catch me up, what is Noahs plan as of now?
I want to use a viparspectra, dry rock and a jebao powerhead and macroalgae filtration so I can run harder corals like lps without spending more on upgrades. Also, I wanna make a gsp wall

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think aquacultured fish are less hardy? Is that how it is for fw?

I find the opposite to be true for sw. Most captive bred salt fish come from wild caught parents and are hardy and adapted to aquarium life and readily eat.

I have had a captive bred stippled clingfish before and they are hardy and cool. They don’t hide and you can hand feed them like the video shows.
I’m talking with the gobiesox clingfish because they live in rock pools in the wild where they are subjected to different types and salinity of water. I’m going to get a aquaculture one though. I really wanna train it to hand feed, do they feel weird when they hand feed?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m talking with the gobiesox clingfish because they live in rock pools in the wild where they are subjected to different types and salinity of water. I’m going to get a aquaculture one though. I really wanna train it to hand feed, do they feel weird when they hand feed?

I don’t think how many whatever years of evolution just vanished because they were captive bred.

They feel smooth.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hand feed my cories and spiny eel from the surface and it’s really fun to watch them eat the eel also eats dead skin off my hand

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer whiter spectrum because it looks more realistic to me and I will be able know how much light my stuff gets easier
how it looks to you doesnt actually mean anything though, you cannot tell how much light something gets unless you have a par meter. That is one of the biggest issues with that light, luckily people on the forum have done that research already, just search for par levels and viparspectra here and you will see how people run them. how high above the tank, where to move the knobs etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back