20 long stocking help

Goddbasedd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted some feed back as I begin stocking my 20 gallon long mixed reef. I plan to add an HOB skimmer in the future as I continue with the build. (Any skimmer suggestions that don’t break the bank?)

here’s what I’m thinking:
- pair of clownfish
- royal gramma or 6 line wrasse?
- lawnmower blenny
- yellow watchman goby
- cleaner or peppermint shrimp?

CUC will consist of a variety of snails and hermits and maybe an emerald crab. Any suggestions on a CUC?

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be ok, but I would skip the lawnmower blenny, they can get up to 6".
As for skimmers, check Amazon. There are quite a few to choose from. Just read the reviews.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fighting conch in my 20 gallon along with a tuxedo urchin. Urchin will move to larger tank when it's done.

Maybe a possum wrasse.

twhit030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
6 lines are awesome for eating pests. I actually have both tho royal and 6 line they seem to do fine! I’d say the shrimp is based off your local fish store. If you see a little big of aptasia get a peppermint just in case. I will say tho 2 things peppermints tend to hide cleaners are out much more often. Also before you buy your lawnmower watch him ask for LFS owner to hold him so you can watch him for 2 days or so make sure he actually picks on the glass and rock at the store some tend to be lazy!!

I have a 40 breeder heavy acros
2 peppermints (had an aptasia problem, gone now)
Tomini tang
Clowns
A lazy lawnmower
6 line
Royal gramma
Flame angel
And a little goby
(All fairly small)

OP
OP
Goddbasedd

Goddbasedd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a friend that is willing to take the lawnmower blenny from me once he becomes to big. So a rehoming plan is in place for the little fellow. Figured it would be a good preventative action if I’m fact he does like to pick at algae!

OP
OP
Goddbasedd

Goddbasedd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 lines are awesome for eating pests. I actually have both tho royal and 6 line they seem to do fine! I’d say the shrimp is based off your local fish store. If you see a little big of aptasia get a peppermint just in case. I will say tho 2 things peppermints tend to hide cleaners are out much more often. Also before you buy your lawnmower watch him ask for LFS owner to hold him so you can watch him for 2 days or so make sure he actually picks on the glass and rock at the store some tend to be lazy!!

Tomini tang
Clowns
A lazy lawnmower
6 line
Royal gramma
Flame angel
And a little goby
(All fairly small)
I’m wondering if having both the gramma and 6 line would be to much for a 20 long?
I think I like the look of the peppermint over the cleaner but I do enjoy how friendly the cleaner is.
I will definitely keep a look out for the lawnmower at my LFS thanks!

GraveKone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tomini tang
Clowns
A lazy lawnmower
6 line
Royal gramma
Flame angel
And a little goby
(All fairly small)
Bruh is the tomini full grow or is it just growing out in there

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 long mixed reef as well and I have don't have a skimmer. I have a pair of clowns, a Yellow Coris and a Melanurus Wrasse. Totally fine with each other and my levels are very low. Clean up crew consists of 1 Conch, 8 Nassarius, 5 Trochus and a few hermit crabs. You should be fine with your list if you keep up with maintenance.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back