20 long stocking. (Macroalgae and softies)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont need a sump especially in a low tech soft coral tank

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I still do a very basic (almost fowlr) tank for under 500$ if I picked cheap fish and used all my stuff. I don’t need a Filter for my 40g so a couple 10$ powerheads my 75g filter then a 20 long sump could work

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and inverts. B/c I’d keep mostly non invert safe things in the surface tank having shrimp and stuff and a dragonet are still things I want to do

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so a. You think that anyone is keeping fish for 70 years you are thoroughly wrong
B. You want to stuff a poor creature (actually MULTIPLE) into a tiny tank

C. You ask people a question only to ignore the people that have more than 70 if not more combined years of experience

D. Nobody you show us a picture of a reef tank with thousands of dollars of equipment and then say you want to “EMULATE” it while you contradict yourself by saying that you won’t listen to people who tell you to spend a little extra money

E. You clearly have no conscience for the animals in your tank, in the wild that same lion fish has 10m of space to swim before it encounter another animal

F. That other guys tank where he had 10 extra gallons of space, the fish use it all and don’t necessarily just swim laterally, especially that angel, you don’t have more space then him, more experience, budget, or devotion as him

Do not ask for advice if you are not willing to except the advice no matter how unfavorable they may be. I understand that you may be young and slightly impulsive and I do not mean to push you away from the hobby, but one must enter understanding, accepting, and caring for the animals, as well as knowing the responsibility and requirements that come with/for them.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa guys we just got them to want to even buy a 40 gallon instead and be able to get the fish they want. I was just as impulsive when i was younger and would have just bought the tank and not have searched it up but then would have been heartbroken when they all died.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to this?

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zGHQb4O.gif

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was when I wanted to make my 40 breeder into saltwater but my mom said she didn’t want me to waste money because I was still relitwvely new to the hobby

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do get it though, this is hard to help someone that isnt responding too well to the information we are all providing, but i am also a camp counselor and pretty patient with kids (for the most part).

Lets get back on track with your tank though and see if we can at least try to help, acknowledging that us here are only trying to be honest with you and help was a good step.

40 gallon breeder for soft corals and macroalgae
1. doesnt in any way need a deep sand bed unless you are keeping specific things like i think turtle grass. DSB are more problems than they are worth.
2. filtration and flow 1 large hob filter, 2 powerheads in the tank to make sure there are no deadspots. looking for a lot of flow, i used a sump plus 2 jebao rw 4 in a 34 gallon and i felt i could use even more flow and be fine
3. MAKE SURE THE RODI FILTER IS GOOD, (send a pic of the one you plan to get)
4. lighting, anywhere from chinese black box to t5 or whatever. Always best to go branded and i think orphek or3 bars are the cheapest way to add a good branded light to any tank
5. refractometer and salt mix
6. testing
you will need to deal with all that next

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom said I can’t do amother 40 gal. I think I’m going to take a break and just lurk and figure out if I want to do a reef or not. I don’t want to just destroy the tank I have been working on for months now.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom is very concerned about me just wasting money b/c I have told her alot about how people screw sw up and I don’t think I’m ready toloose all that. I’m planning on getting a ro buddy or whatever it’s called. it dosent seem bad it works well enoguh for what I’m doing. I’m also most likely going to get some distilled for top offs

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good move, if you are still enjoying freshwater stick to it, maybe get some neocardinia if they fit into your tank as well as some other cool stuff.
RO buddie is the only rodi filter i recommend people stay away from, you will lose more money paying for their filters that only work with that unit and the unit seems to use up filters too fast as well. Stick with brs or similar ro di unit to that.

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im talking like radions 200$ skimmers crazy dosing stuff and things. I know people who have reef tanks in fluval flex freshwater tanks That do well. I am probably just going to see where it takes me and learn from experience. I am still going to do research but if someone says like only designer clowns in a 20 long and I have a gut feeling something can work and I have logic behind it I’m gonna belive the logic.

No one has told you to spend hundreds of dollars or anything... just not to overstock your tank?

If you want to start stop over thinking and just plop some sand, live rock and water in your tank with a powerhead+cheap light etc. and start cycling. That part's not difficult or too expensive and you can experiment with the filters and such before adding livestock.

Just take more time to think about the animals you're putting in there before you get to the stocking part is all.

Last edited:

afk-47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say doing the 20L or 40B with sand, rock, hob and a pair of clowns would be a great start. then add some invert and see how they change the system up. Add stuff slowly and see the cause and effect. Preditor tanks are super cool but need a lot of room. I'm in the process of starting up a 75 gal but not at that ill need a big boy tank in 12-16 months to be able to probably house them. Start small and grow into it. Especially when the budget has to be kept in mind.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a lot less expensive to just stock some cheap fish that are appropriate for a 20g.

I wouldn't keep a mandarin in a sump. First, they are jumpers and putting a lid on a sump would be a pain. Second, the point of a sump/fuge is to have a place the dragonette is NOT so the pods have a safe spot to reproduce.

Most of us here started with a beginner tank with beginner fish. They are enjoyable and I am don't see any reason to resist that. Small shrimp gobies and blennies have tons of personality.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back