200 hundred gallon tank upstairs

steven4200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one, as the title says I have a 200 hundred gallon tank going in upstairs. I have asked a few builders and done research online. So far it doesn't seem like the weight will be an issue but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask for some opinions or to try and see if someone else has a similar setup and if they ever had any trouble with it.

Here are a few specs:
My home is newer built in 2013
The stand is 6 feet long and 2 feet wide
It will be setup so it spans several floor joists to help disperse the weight

If any one could think of anything else please let me know and thanks in advance.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one, as the title says I have a 200 hundred gallon tank going in upstairs. I have asked a few builders and done research online. So far it doesn't seem like the weight will be an issue but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask for some opinions or to try and see if someone else has a similar setup and if they ever had any trouble with it.

Here are a few specs:
My home is newer built in 2013
The stand is 6 feet long and 2 feet wide
It will be setup so it spans several floor joists to help disperse the weight

If any one could think of anything else please let me know and thanks in advance.
I would never install any aquarium over 120 gallons on a wooden structure without consulting a structural engineer. It will only cost you a few hundred dollars ( a small price in the grand scheme of a full tank build). I am willing to bet your structure is not sufficient to support a 200 gallon aquarium. I strongly advise you to consult an engineer. For what it’s worth I am also a builder, and would be leery of other builders handing out liberal structural advice.

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above... Just in water alone, you are looking at 1700lbs. Then you have to factor weight of tank, rock work, sump, sump water, stand, and all other equipment. Not to mention if you have other heavy furniture in that room as well. If you are spending the money on the hobby, I would fork over the few hundred it will cost for an evaluation from a structural engineer.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm a Contractor/carpenter myself and agree, I would check w/ my structural engineer based on your floor plans on this one, foolish not to.

Your builder friends might be thinking about it holding the weight only, which it most likely will, but a dead load over a length of time is another story, deflection, sagging of joists, potential issues.

Sight unseen based on common framing I'd say unless you are very lucky and have something beyond the ordinary, like an I beam or large wood beam directly under, I'd guess that load would need additional support

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steven4200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone I will contact an engineer. I have been planing this project for some time now and the longer I think about it the more I am considering putting it down stairs haha! The comment about a dead load over the course of years makes a lot of sense and I plan on having this tank for many years.

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone I will contact an engineer. I have been planing this project for some time now and the longer I think about it the more I am considering putting it down stairs haha! The comment about a dead load over the course of years makes a lot of sense and I plan on having this tank for many years.
This is from a freshwater forum, but good read on floor load for aquariums. Written by a 40+ year structural engineer.

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to answer this without being on site.But my Initial thoughts are there is no way its Viable without additional support . REMEMBER The weight of that tank has to be Transferred all the way down to the basement floor . My Feeling is if your Asking this Question you really Should Have a Qualified person on site . Most likely they will have to cut a few holes in walls and ceilings to see how things are constructed.. Looking at A Drawing will not be good enough as they are often changed on site ..
If you seen some of the Shabby framing behind the walls in most homes i tear out (especially newer homes ) You would Cringe .
BE SAFE and Good Luck

Erica Miller

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through this with my 220 and paid a few hundred for an officially stamped report from an engineer. I followed it to the letter. I've paid more on dead fish than the engineer, it is definitely worth it for the peace of mind and any potential insurance claims if you implode your house.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from structural concerns - what about logistics? Where will you mix new salt water and how will you get it to the tank? If that's upstairs too then great. The thought of a major 2nd floor leak gives me the heebiejeebies but it's generally pretty awful on the first floor too!

FishKeeper01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about doing the same, but with at least 150 gallon. Can you show some photos? Thanks!

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from a freshwater forum, but good read on floor load for aquariums. Written by a 40+ year structural engineer.

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

Maybe the single most valuable link I've ever seen posted. It's a long article, but absolutely correct, and written and illustrated in a way that even a layman should be able to understand.
Great post, Arcticfirefighter!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go downstairs , the money spent figuring out issues, spend on hobby

Back