~200G First Time Reef Adventure ~350 total

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kris it's awesome to see more progress on your build. I remember when I picked up your old RO/DI unit you didn't have the wall torn out yet. Everything is looking great. If you need any help moving things I'm only like 10 minutes away. Shoot me a PM and I'm sure I can give you a hand if needed.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kris it's awesome to see more progress on your build. I remember when I picked up your old RO/DI unit you didn't have the wall torn out yet. Everything is looking great. If you need any help moving things I'm only like 10 minutes away. Shoot me a PM and I'm sure I can give you a hand if needed.

Hey Drew! Good to hear from you. Yeah there has been progress but its been very slow. Tight on time and funds lately but it will get there eventually. LOL

dang!! really nice build! someone did their research!!
great building skills too

Thanks!

Awesome build thread!!! Wondered why you havent been on MASC much lately

I needed some time away from MASC. Ill return eventually.

I was on call all weekend and stuck at my computer. I had allot of time on my hands waiting around for my phone to ring and decided to work on my tank the only way I could. So I virtually (in the literal sense) built my display tank all trimmed out. I was not sure how the whole thing was going to go together as far as panels, hinges, mounting tabs, measurements etc. So I figured hey why not just make a 3D blue print. Now I have all the measurements and could foresee any possible issues in my plan. :bigsmile:

The next step to come is having the floors refinished and that supposed to start Aug 28th and will probably take about a week. After that I can finish the stand which is complete except for the mounting tabs. I just wasn't sure where I needed to put them but now with my mockups, feel like I have it figured out. Then I can get it powder coated and get the tank in the house! My wife will be thrilled to have the garage back in time for winter. LOL

mock1.jpg

mock3.jpg

mock4.jpg

mock5.jpg

mock6.jpg

mock7.jpg

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help! Need some lighting advice

So my build has been on hold for a little while due to some other higher priority things going on in my life right now, but I will be picking up on things here soon and have been contemplating lighting options.

Originally I was going to go with 6 Radions which I already have a couple of. Being new to the bobby I have never known anything but LED. LED is what I started with and have been with ever since. While I know there are huge debates over whats better LED vs MH and all the associated pros and cons I cant help but notice that the vast majority of tanks that I feel are truly mind blowing are using MH.

Considering this tank will be SPS dominated and my desire to want to have the best of both worlds, I am now contemplating combing MHs with Radion LED supplementation.

I love the the sunrise sunset configuration am am currently using, actinics and overall control ability of the Radions so I definitely want to keep that but I'm thinking I want to add two MH fixtures as well to run the bulk of the peak hours of the day.

These are two configurations I am thinking of. I would very much like some input from folks here. Also if I were to do this I would like to know recommendations on 250W vs 400W. I would prefer to run 250W 20k Radiums for color, and power consumption reasons but given the size of my tank would 400s be better?

As a reminder the tank dimensions are as such 50"long 36"wide and 25" tall. The pictures below are to exact scale size wise for both the Radions and the moguls I would go with with respect to the tank.

Please give me your input.

I think I like this configuration the best just because the Radions would not be so close to the Halides and because I can aim the two front Radions inward. I have seem many tanks with the front light aimed inward like this and really like it.

Lights3.jpg

Lights1.jpg

Lights2.jpg

This Seems light the best way to evenly distribue all light source but my leave the front and the back lacking a bit. I also dont like how close the Radions would be to the Halides.

Lights4.jpg

Lights5.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems this was missed!

I am not sure what configuration I would go with but I would definitely go with the 250W 20k Radiums over the 400w. I think with a 25" deep tank that the 400 would be overkill and very hot!

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the bump Rev. I was thinking 250s as well if I even go this route. I dont know maybe its a dumb idea. I just figured if I positioned my SPS on a couple islands directly below the halides I could geat some great growth and still have all the color flexibility I like with the Radions. Ones things for sure I certainly would not be lacking in the light department.

Also before anyone one asks or says it, no I wont be running the Radions at full power if I go this route. There purpose would be some serious overkill in the sumplemental light department. Who knows this build is taking me so long that by the time I have water in it there be something else on the market. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How how will the lights be positioned?

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How how will the lights be positioned?

I assume you mean How will I be suspending or hanging them? If so I am building a motorized hoist with rack. The halides will sit on top of the grating with squares cut out for for the halides to sit on top with out getting blocked by the grating and the Radions will be mounted with some custom brackets to hang underneath the grating. If you just mean position wise. I personally like the first configuration shown below.

Lights3.jpg

This is the hoist I am modifying for size and motorization to use with all the lights.

rancorlift.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I meant to say how high but I see now that you can adjust it. I also like the combination of #1. :)

In #1 is there a reason my the middle led is all the way to the back?

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In #1 is there a reason my the middle led is all the way to the back?[/QUOTE]

No not really. Its just a general position to get the idea across for all the lights really. I'll have the freedom to move the Radions around a bit but once the halides are positioned with the holes cut they wont be able to really be moved without making another rack which is really quite easy should I ever want to change it up. I do agree the middle one is back too far. Its funny you mentioned that and I wonder if its just my viewing angle in sketchup because I was thinking the same thing and don't remember placing it that far back. LOL :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I gotcha. I love the idea of the front two radions. You can keep all of your light sensitive LPS, etc. toward the front and adjust the lighting to their needs. :)

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I was thinking as well but sometimes I get these crazy ideas that seem good but dont really work so well. Thats why I really wanted some expert oppinions here.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you turned the back one like the fronts, and angled it a bit towards the front? Though that might give you a bit to much light concentration on the middle of the tank.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you turned the back one like the fronts, and angled it a bit towards the front? Though that might give you a bit to much light concentration on the middle of the tank.

That could work. Or I suppose I could go with one very large Halide reflector right in the middle and evenly distribute 4 Radions around the parameter?? Kind of showcase a nice SPS island right in the middle with the LPS and maybe some Z&Ps on some smaller rock structure around it?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love all the DIY.
Thanks for sharing.
would suggest you sketchup your plans for Rockscape and then decide on the light posiitoning accordingly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back