OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have realized the stupidity in my idea for thinking about doing a MH Radion combo. I think for now im going to go with MH 20k Radiums and LED supplementation. I have only ever used LEDs and could really use some guidance in the MH department. Also I'm not apposed to doing t5 supplementation either if the consensus is that better.

Can you please help the noob with reflector size/placement recommendation, Bulb wattage 250 or 400, ballast recommendations, and actinic supplements. Honestly I never thought I would be going the MH route so I have not studied up on it to make a well informed decision.

I want to buy new reflectors and ballasts and want to get something very well built. All recommendations welcome.

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the full MH lighting with T5 supplementation would be what I would prefer, more so because of the seisure endusing shimmer that MH + LED would emit. But I'd also say a little LED wouldn't be bad either, like a strip of blues to REALLY make those colors pop.

Also where did you purchase your light raising motor & bar? I am trying to design a mechanized light riser but all I can really come up without too much motor modding (and expense) is an actuated motor. Links please? :)

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the full MH lighting with T5 supplementation would be what I would prefer, more so because of the seisure endusing shimmer that MH + LED would emit. But I'd also say a little LED wouldn't be bad either, like a strip of blues to REALLY make those colors pop.

Also where did you purchase your light raising motor & bar? I am trying to design a mechanized light riser but all I can really come up without too much motor modding (and expense) is an actuated motor. Links please? :)

Thanks for your reply Marshall. I got it on line don't remember where but heres a link from Home Depot. If I remember correctly it was allot cheaper on online. I think I bought through amazon. Just know that unless you have a 4'x4' cube it will need some heavy modification.

HeavyLift Storage Platform-PHL-1R at The Home Depot

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and also I havent found a suitable motor to retrofit to it yet.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wish! Things have been a little rough getting my wife's business going. Nothing unexpected of course but the reality of is a bit tougher than the original perception.

I should start moving along again in the coming months. The floors have been refinished. I just need to do a little more electrical, drill the floors for the rest of the plumbing and air exchange system and the tank will be ready to move in. I still have not decided which way im going on lighting. The budget is not going to allow for my first choice of Radion Pros so im still pondering that. I may just start off with four used AI sol Blues just to get it going. Im not planning on putting in any highend or SPS corals for at least 6 months after getting it going so I have time to figure it out.

Thanks for the interest!

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an impressive diary/ journal of your build. Looks great and your ideas are well documented. This will provide you with a good reference point.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im gearing up to start moving on this build again. Got some new toys.

Bubble King SuperMarine 200. Ill need to build a little stand to get it higher above the baffles, but other wise the fit is perfect.

Reef Octopus Dual Chamber Calcium Reactor. This is the big boy rated for 1000 gallons. Way over kill but when I setup this baby for "set and forget" I mean it! Set and forget for a looong time :).

I got the best Harris regulator money can buy this thing makes other hobby related regulators look like toys.
I also got a digital bubble counter and MasterFlex medical grade peristaltic pump to control the effluent. This CA reactor should be as rock solid as I can possible get.

This regulator is built like a Mac truck. Its huge.

Again this peristaltic pump makes everything else hobby grade look like a toy. But with a 100% duty cycle, ultra precision, and no effect on head pressure if I clean the reactor, change the media, or as the media dissolves it now seems like the only way to go.

Got my controller as well. I lucked out and got a smoking deal on the complete GHL Profilux 3 with three PAB power bars, SMS unit, Touch screen display and dosing pumps (should I ever want to dose anything). I also got the expansion box for future upgrades.

While I have decided to go with MH as my primary source of lighting I am going to supplement with 2 Radion Pros up front and 2 Gen2 Radions in back for my sun up, sun down effect and all the other cool techy effects I love. I may not need all 4 but Ill see once I get them up.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started working on the light rack as well. I had to cut it up allot to modify for what I need but I think its going to work really well. Still havent found a motor for it yet but then again havent looked that hard either. In all likly hood Ill just use the hand crank to raise and lower it.

Here it is all assembled with the mods. I just need to get all the parts sand blasted and powder coated.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great and very impressed with the google sketch up skills! Lol, can't wait to see the system up and running!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back