OP
sassAwrasse

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the meeting on Sunday, we discussed the options going forward for the club.

There are a few people considering positions, and we are leaving nominations open for a little while longer.

We will send out an official email to club members after the Holiday weekend.

We hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone that expressed interest at the last meeting, please reach out to Nichole (sassawrasse) so we can discuss further. Thank you.

Last edited:

rtn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I attended my first meeting yesterday and got to meet a few people. It would be a real shame if the club came to an end -- I saw quite a few people last night enjoying themselves. I would offer to join the board if there's something I could do to help.

A little about me, I'm a newer reefer (180g started earlier this year, but going strong) returning to the hobby after a 15 year (or so) hiatus. I'm on the board for another club (Fine dining and wine in the Hartford area) so I have a decent idea of what I'm getting into. Professionally, I'm an IT Director for a Fortune 50 company in the Hartford area.

We have three weeks to resolve the 2019 club leadership issue, I'm hoping we have enough people to step up. I do have one stance already -- I don't think the club should just be a way to get free stuff. If that's what CTARS is becoming, I will withdraw my application for the board. It's really amazing that our sponsors are so generous that the club can even provide that opportunity, but reef education and social networking should be the priority. If you agree, I'd love to talk more about it -- if you don't agree, I'd love to talk more about that too.

Thanks for reading.

--rtn

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely agree with you. Talking with a couple of venders there yesterday about the future of coral reefs and coral reef education . Both of which could make interesting presentations ..

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as board members you sound like someone that understands what is the lead and isn't afraid of a challenge .
Myself I'm a 56 year old machinist definitely a DIY guy . I too am recently back in the hobby with a 72 gallon bowfront just over a year old . A step up from my past 20 gallon FOWLR tank. In recent months I've learned from the club and I've had a good time. I enjoy talking with real people about the hobby not just asking Google .. I'm willing to offer my assistance . Be it as vice-president, chair or just a committee leader .
I think what a few small committees to distribute the load. The club could continue to run nicely without any one person having a dedicated life to it .

Thanks James
jjflounder1

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s keep this going. I know at least 4 or 5 people expressed interests. As Nichole stated we would like to get all interested people together after the holidays to discuss. I’m really glad to see folks stepping up to save the fate of our dear club!

pjb9166

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to express my interest in anyway I could help. Please add me to the list of people that will be attending the meeting.

White Monkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to see a person who has a lot of experience and skill with social media to get involved. I feel like the club's presence over social media is very underwhelming. An example would be how the Instagram page is mostly just pictures advertising events like Fragtoberfest, it should have more diverse and engaging content.

White Monkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to see a person who has a lot of experience and skill with social media to get involved. I feel like the club's presence over social media is very underwhelming. An example would be how the Instagram page is mostly just pictures advertising events like Fragtoberfest, it should have more diverse and engaging content.
Youtube, Facebook, forums and snapchat
are platforms that should be used and updated on a regular basis with content people have interest in. All of the posts on these platforms should have the CTARS logo plugged into the descriptions or in pictures/videos.

This is the best way to get people in the area involved. To be present and interested even when they can't make it to meetings.

I had to look up "local reefing clubs in CT" in Google before I was aware CTARS existed. We should be far more present on the internet. That's the most efficient way for people to communicate and to learn about the club's existence.

I almost feel like there to be a designated position in the board for this exact thing.

This would greatly strengthen the CTARS community IMO.

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youtube, Facebook, forums and snapchat
are platforms that should be used and updated on a regular basis with content people have interest in. All of the posts on these platforms should have the CTARS logo plugged into the descriptions or in pictures/videos.

This is the best way to get people in the area involved. To be present and interested even when they can't make it to meetings.

I had to look up "local reefing clubs in CT" in Google before I was aware CTARS existed. We should be far more present on the internet. That's the most efficient way for people to communicate and to learn about the club's existence.

I almost feel like there to be a designated position in the board for this exact thing.

This would greatly strengthen the CTARS community IMO.

These all sound like great suggestions. As all of the CTARs positions are voluntary we rely on our members to help with these things. The intagram page was nonexistent until earlier this year when it was used to promote our annual event. Reef2reef is where we want to keep the majority of our content with the other social media as a way to funnel people to the forum. Rev and the reef2reef crew have been very supportive of CTARs and we would like to continue that relationship. Having said all that the club could definitely use a social media coordinator, not as a board position, but rather an appointed position. Is this something you would be interested in @White Monkey

OP
OP
sassAwrasse

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous board members recently met with a few members that expressed interest in being a part of the board for this year. After our meeting and conference call, I am happy to nominate:

Earl Courchesne - @Good_vibes_reefing - for Vice President
Bob Nicholson - @rtn - for Secretary
Aaron Jones - @A.Jones - for Treasurer

I am happy to stay on as President if you all will have me. It is great to see that the club still has members interested in seeing it become even greater!

rtn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous board members recently met with a few members that expressed interest in being a part of the board for this year. After our meeting and conference call, I am happy to nominate:

I am happy to stay on as President if you all will have me. It is great to see that the club still has members interested in seeing it become even greater!

I'd like to second Earl and Aaron for the respective roles.

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We would also like to create an Educational Outreach position.

Anthony Wasley - @Waz - would be perfect for this, and has my nomination.

I second all of these nominations.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back