20g >> 70g stock ideas?

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I currently own a Waterbox 20 and am going to upgrade to a 75g, 4 ft long tank. I wanted some stocking ideas on active, colorful fish to add to my 70g tank in addition to the fish in my 20g.

As of rn, I have a:
- A female Richmonds Wrasse
- Lawnmower Blenny
- Neon Blue Goby

As of right now, I definitely want an engineer goby and I’d like to add another neon blue goby.

All suggestions are appreciated and welcome!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretail Anthias, zebra eel, a fairy wrasse, royal gramma, jawfish, diamond goby, etc. Just don't forget to quarentine your new fish!

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reminder! I wasn’t too sure, would I be able to keep a second species of wrasse in my tank?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE="Spare time, post: 7145502, member: 121022"]
a fairy wrasse,... Just don't forget to quarentine your new fish!

Thank you for the reminder! I wasn’t too sure, would I be able to keep a second species of wrasse in my tank?
[/QUOTE]

Fairy wrasse are fine with the richmonds wrasse. A lot of fairy wrasses work are fine together (ex a male and some females) from my understanding.

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment this is what I’m considering in regards to my stock list:
- Richmonds Wrasse
- Maroon Clown (with its own anemone away from the main rock work so it doesn’t bother anyone!)
- Lawnmower Blenny
- (2) Firefish Goby
- Engineer Goby
- Starcks Damsel
- (2) Neon Blue Goby
- Royal Gramma (possibly 2)
- Male Lyretail Anthias (def considering a purple/orange/red variation of wrasse instead...)
- Dispar Anthia

I’m not sure how my peaceful fish will hold up with some of the more aggressive fish. My little maroon clown is already showing it’s “true colors” and picking on my neon blue goby/wrasse :(
I can’t wait to upgrade and get some more space for everyone... I’m also considering giving my maroon clownfish away and changing my stock list so that my whole 75g setup is nothing but peaceful fish. I’d hate to see any deaths over aggression. Thoughts?

I’m open to any and all criticism/suggestions on my stock list! I’m just looking for different colored, active fish :)

1090E722-DC30-404C-8356-640C07A19D1B.jpeg

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing some thinking, I’m actually considering a lighter list with less aggressive fish.
- (1) Richmonds Wrasse
- (1) Maroon Clown (with its own anemone away from the main rock work so it doesn’t bother anyone!)
- (1) Lawnmower Blenny
- (1) Engineer Goby
- (2) Neon Blue Goby
- (1) Royal Gramma — I’m considering two but idk
- (1) Carpenters Wrasse
- (5) Chromis — I know it’s hit or miss with these guys, as they have the tendency to fight to the death but I figure I’d give it a shot at least. It’d be nice to have a school of fish!

Lmk your thoughts!

B3787F6D-7404-4827-90E4-524A1CA13AF9.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out gold nugget maroons. I think they are really neat. Also Lyretail anthias will school

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out gold nugget maroons. I think they are really neat. Also Lyretail anthias will school

I read that somewhere too. But I fear they‘ll get too big for my tank, as they need 125g. I’d hate to make them feel cramped. So I thought I’d give Chromis a try. I’m also tempted to try azure damsels, I think they’re beautiful. But ik they’re known for some aggression and can be pretty risky to keep too...

My little maroon had white bands on it when I got him, and they’re slowly turning yellow :oops: It’s beaten the crap out of my neon blue goby, who I think I am going to have to hand feed if I want it to see another day... :(

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that somewhere too. But I fear they‘ll get too big for my tank, as they need 125g. I’d hate to make them feel cramped. So I thought I’d give Chromis a try. I’m also tempted to try azure damsels, I think they’re beautiful. But ik they’re known for some aggression and can be pretty risky to keep too...

My little maroon had white bands on it when I got him, and they’re slowly turning yellow :oops: It’s beaten the crap out of my neon blue goby, who I think I am going to have to hand feed if I want it to see another day... :(

I think they would be fine in a 75g personally but thats just my opinion. A lot of online recommendations are more or less playing it safe.

And maroons can be some territorial fish thats for sure lol

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they would be fine in a 75g personally but thats just my opinion. A lot of online recommendations are more or less playing it safe.

And maroons can be some territorial fish thats for sure lol

The worst part is I had no clue! I knew they were a little nasty but he was so sweet when I brought him home :rolleyes:

I guess I could see that being true. I know I haven’t always followed the guidelines, if I’m being completely honest.

I’ve been playing around and put together a little collage to help visualize things. Maybe I’ll skip the damsel and give fire fish a shot? They won’t be too active, but they’re very pretty and unique. I’ve attached a photo, for reference. I want my rock work to be similar, on a nice, white sand bed. However, I’m going to add some islands for GSP and make the smaller “mountain” for an anenome. The larger one will host some zoas, a toadstool, maybe a Kenya tree and some mushrooms along the bottom.

I’ve got the fish I considered along the bottom, in case I wanted to switch them out lol

A6445516-95E2-4D51-A45A-38AC78A64BB2.jpeg

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think to start, it’d be a good mix up. But depending on how things go, in the future I’d like to add some Lyretail Anthias or a flasher wrasse.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst part is I had no clue! I knew they were a little nasty but he was so sweet when I brought him home :rolleyes:

I guess I could see that being true. I know I haven’t always followed the guidelines, if I’m being completely honest.

I’ve been playing around and put together a little collage to help visualize things. Maybe I’ll skip the damsel and give fire fish a shot? They won’t be too active, but they’re very pretty and unique. I’ve attached a photo, for reference. I want my rock work to be similar, on a nice, white sand bed. However, I’m going to add some islands for GSP and make the smaller “mountain” for an anenome. The larger one will host some zoas, a toadstool, maybe a Kenya tree and some mushrooms along the bottom.

I’ve got the fish I considered along the bottom, in case I wanted to switch them out lol

A6445516-95E2-4D51-A45A-38AC78A64BB2.jpeg

If you get a firefish I recommend a pair as they seem to be much more bold when not alone

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found another thread and someone said that the reds will stay together while the purple will do its own thing. I’m heavily considering adding two female Lyretails and a black cap basslet instead of the Chromis.

837F1141-E497-4785-9809-3C7CB791AE3D.jpeg

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be perfect honestly. The males look spectacular. Do you think three would be pushing it with the following stock list? I don’t want to crowd the tank.

- (2) Firefish
- (1) Maroon Clown
- (1) Melanarus Wrasse
- (1) Lawnmower Blenny
- (1) Engineer Goby
- (1) Blue Velvet Damselfish
- (1) Black Cap Basslet

If so, I’m skipping the black cap basslet. I think the Lyretails will prove to be beautiful additions.

0460B032-CC14-4679-AF0E-8621869D94FB.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back