dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i was to go with the kessil, i would get 2 of them and put them at either side of the tank. I looked at the orpheks bars and unless you see something I don't, they are only supplemental, not primary use.
Although they are mostly used to supplement t5s, that is only the blue plus and sky blue colors. Many frag tanks use these to light longer, shallower frag tanks even with acropora easily (like a 20 gallon long but usually much larger tanks). The reef day is full spectrum (white) and either use 1 reef day and 1 blue plus or sky blue or 1 reef day, 1 blue, plus, and 1 sky blue, just depended on whether you like a bluer tank or want more par. They use the same leds as the much more expensive orphek icon but are a lot cheaper as you dont have the controllability

A reef bar like quanta reef, orphek or reefbrite will all put out more par (useable light by corals needed for health) than a current usa orbit. Current will work but par is less. I would not go with the current usa for the loop system, them as a brand are pretty lower quality compared to other brands, but if controllability is important look at the smatfarm g5 led.
They are about the same quality as the current usa but have a lot more useable controls, more par output, and give more access into the aquarium.
Also i could link some similar quality leds or higher quality (more money most of the time unless you lose controllability which isnt necessary always like the orphek or3 bars)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went with prime because it's a good solid brand it has the app and easy to maneuver and like I said I can use it in a bigger tank in the future and it will have the compatibility of growing things like lps and sps if I want in the future
just didnt fit my tank well at 24" wide, i do respect the primes though, a lot of power for a good price

OP
OP
M

Michael Price

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although they are mostly used to supplement t5s, that is only the blue plus and sky blue colors. Many frag tanks use these to light longer, shallower frag tanks even with acropora easily (like a 20 gallon long but usually much larger tanks). The reef day is full spectrum (white) and either use 1 reef day and 1 blue plus or sky blue or 1 reef day, 1 blue, plus, and 1 sky blue, just depended on whether you like a bluer tank or want more par. They use the same leds as the much more expensive orphek icon but are a lot cheaper as you dont have the controllability

A reef bar like quanta reef, orphek or reefbrite will all put out more par (useable light by corals needed for health) than a current usa orbit. Current will work but par is less. I would not go with the current usa for the loop system, them as a brand are pretty lower quality compared to other brands, but if controllability is important look at the smatfarm g5 led.
They are about the same quality as the current usa but have a lot more useable controls, more par output, and give more access into the aquarium.
Also i could link some similar quality leds or higher quality (more money most of the time unless you lose controllability which isnt necessary always like the orphek or3 bars)

Im not too worried about having really high par. I don't have any plans to have any sps anytime soon and especially not in this tank. I really like the controllability and ease of use that the current usa offers. I especially like being able to control the powerhead and the light all from an app or remote. Yes higher par is usually better, too much can be just as bad as too little. It is mainly targeting lps and softies which is exactly what im going for. I am a long ways from being done at looking for a better light but I gotta say, i really like the special effects that can be controlled such as the thunderstorm and sunset/sunrise feature. With a 20 long, i think I'd have to have 2 of the lights that you shared. I don't think it would reach both sides.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not too worried about having really high par. I don't have any plans to have any sps anytime soon and especially not in this tank. I really like the controllability and ease of use that the current usa offers. I especially like being able to control the powerhead and the light all from an app or remote. Yes higher par is usually better, too much can be just as bad as too little. It is mainly targeting lps and softies which is exactly what im going for. I am a long ways from being done at looking for a better light but I gotta say, i really like the special effects that can be controlled such as the thunderstorm and sunset/sunrise feature. With a 20 long, i think I'd have to have 2 of the lights that you shared. I don't think it would reach both sides.
Current lights are fine for softies and some LPS (I had them on my old tank, and upgraded when I moved to a bigger tank), but you're gonna want to find a set used. You should look for a 2-bar set instead of just one bar, it'll help with the PAR. Also, pay attention to the model you're looking at, the different lenses produce vastly different light spreads and PARs as a result. They pop up all the time because people inevitably want to upgrade them. Also, I promise that you'll be over the special effects after the first week.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@asittam is spot on, as said you really want 2 bars not just one. But again they do work well for low light lps
1 led bar like the reefbrite or orphek will put out as much if not more par than 2 current orbit lights though due to the led layout and optics. If you go that route it is easily controllable by your cell phone using a $12 wifi outlet to control when each bar comes on and turns off

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really like the special effects that can be controlled such as the thunderstorm and sunset/sunrise feature. With a 20 long, i think I'd have to have 2 of the lights that you shared. I don't think it would reach both sides.
tbh those effects get annoying very fast, thunderstorm is like an on and off strobe light while sunrise / sunset is just dimming the unit. The same can be done (if using 2 led bars) by turning off 1 led bar (reef day) and letting the other run. You can also run a very small strip of blue led to simulate very dim moonlight (let me know if you want me to link it, pretty sure under $20)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also current usa pumps are not the greatest, at best same quality as the jebao pumps. Loop network is just ok as well, not too in depth

OP
OP
M

Michael Price

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon, its an RFA/Softie tank with 3 small fish.
I have the AI16, I use 2 cheap sunsun powerheads and a small HOB filter to run carbon. I do weekly water changes, the tank is 6 months old now doing very well.
Do you have 1 or 2 ai primes? What corals do you have? Are the close to the center of the par focus or farther away?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have 1 or 2 ai primes? What corals do you have? Are the close to the center of the par focus or farther away?
Only one is fine, its a strong light, I only have it at 70%. I've got 6 rock flower anemones and a corky finger, and a cespitularia, they are all very low in the tank, spread out on the bottom rocks. My tank is 24" wide, just to give you an idea. Sorry I dont know the par, I dont have a meter.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of any good pumps in the same price range?
jebao pumps are go to for that price range. They make a few different one now i think some come with wifi but they all perform the same, some have different gimmicks than others but underneath they are the same pumps.
they will grow anything pretty much, in your case though 1 will just not light the whole tank completely and it may look a bit odd with the ends of the tank darker than the center

Back