22 gallon office build

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fun thread, general BSing about what ever and talking planted tanks. Good stuff.

I was going to suggest that we ( @mch1984 and @Jeight ) take our excersise stuff to a group PM. I'm not sure I, for one, want don't to detract from the planted build thread. What say you guys?

Updated to include the word "don't" as in not detracting...

Last edited:

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy on facebook is selling this stuff, I’ve read it’s fairly rare and a slow grower and he said the same. He wants $60 for 5 clippings, does that seem high? Or am I just cheap? )rotala ramsoir florida)

AC2CA37A-FA08-4C7E-BA87-0AA6DD85BD0C.jpeg

I've been looking around, and although I haven't found this same plant, it seems like a more typical price for a bunch of stems is $4-$5...

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest that we ( @mch1984 and @Jeight ) take our excersise stuff to a group PM. I'm not sure I, for one, want to detract from the planted build thread. What say you guys?
It's up to everybody else following but I don't have a problem with it staying here. This is just a lounge thread anyways.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking around, and although I haven't found this same plant, it seems like a more typical price for a bunch of stems is $4-$5...
Yeah that seemed a bit stiff to me, I like the color but I can find that color in other strands as well.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest that we ( @mch1984 and @Jeight ) take our excersise stuff to a group PM. I'm not sure I, for one, want to detract from the planted build thread. What say you guys?
I'll add, I'm not opposed to moving either. What ever the general opinion is i'm ok with.

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add, I'm not opposed to moving either. Whatever the general opinion is I'm ok with.

If ya'all or okay here Im okay here it is the lounge I doubt anyone minds a bunch of grown acting like we're on facebook messenger :)

edit:

wanted to also add the bloom is my fault. Not last Sunday but the Sunday before I was a bit hungover from too much Saturday night and I flipped open the lid on the pellet feeding container which is double sided...I thought it was the pour a little bit side turns out it was the pour a metric asston side so I spent the next 15 mins trying to net as much as I could out..I did check phosphates when I was home for lunch and PO4 is at .1 so i feel like it will settle down soon on its own...I did not turn the lights back on but I will set the apex back to normal timers for the morning..also I am going to the LFS tonight and will pick up a couple more snails..only had 2 trochus and 2 asterea

edit#2 alot of people suggest a sea sponge to eat the silicates faster but sponges are not photosynthetic and will require feeding not sure a sponge is the best idea but looking for an opinion

Last edited:
OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ya'all or okay here Im okay here it is the lounge I doubt anyone minds a bunch of grown acting like we're on facebook messenger :)

edit:

wanted to also add the bloom is my fault. Not last Sunday but the Sunday before I was a bit hungover from too much Saturday night and I flipped open the lid on the pellet feeding container which is double sided...I thought it was the pour a little bit side turns out it was the pour a metric asston side so I spent the next 15 mins trying to net as much as I could out..I did check phosphates when I was home for lunch and PO4 is at .1 so i feel like it will settle down soon on its own...I did not turn the lights back on but I will set the apex back to normal timers for the morning..also I am going to the LFS tonight and will pick up a couple more snails..only had 2 trochus and 2 asterea

edit#2 alot of people suggest a sea sponge to eat the silicates faster but sponges are not photosynthetic and will require feeding not sure a sponge is the best idea but looking for an opinion
Can’t answer about the sponges, I’ve never tried one. However, that’s a fear of mine, coming in drunk and deciding it’s a good idea to work on the tank.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

edit:

If you generally have no issues then why add the sponge?

Can’t answer about the sponges, I’ve never tried one. However, that’s a fear of mine, coming in drunk and deciding it’s a good idea to work on the tank.

If you guys are working on your tanks drunk then something is definitely off with what you consider drunk! Lol

As for the excersise updates; going to keep posting them. Who knows, we may encourage others to get active and do the same.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you generally have no issues then why add the sponge?

If you guys are working on your tanks drunk then something is definitely off with what you consider drunk! Lol

As for the excersise updates; going to keep posting them. Who knows, we may encourage others to get active and do the same.
Haha, I haven’t yet but I’m scared I’ll try one day. No telling what I would screw up.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news my driftwood and stone are on the way, i think, i hope. Apparently who ever received my stuff was kind enough to put a label on it and send it my way. Showing Tuesday for arrival. So if all goes well the tank will be wet before aquashella.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say that, I actually have a follow up question for @neoGeorge & @Waters. Have either of yall tried a dry start for carpet plants? I'm considering it to help get it going, I could figure out a temporary home for anything else I bought while at aquashella.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say that, I actually have a follow up question for @neoGeorge & @Waters. Have either of yall tried a dry start for carpet plants? I'm considering it to help get it going, I could figure out a temporary home for anything else I bought while at aquashella.
I have, but didn't seem to give me any advantage in either getting the plants to grow, or to keep algae at bay. I found that as long as you provide a bunch of fast growing stem plants (even if you plan on removing them) they out compete the algae. Doesn't hurt to have some small algae eaters either like Otto catfish, snails, and shrimp. If you are supplying lighting, CO2, and ferts from the beginning, the plants grow quick. When I tried the dry start, the plants seemed to go dormant when I switched from dry to wet....alot of them turning yellow and dieing. Of course, I might have done something wrong since I only tried it once, but that was my experience :)

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OK, since I'm not even completely sure what a "dry start" is, I can confidently defer to @Waters on this one :)

If this refers to planting into a dry substrate, then adding water, here's a pretty good video from George Farmer on an aquascape:

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, but didn't seem to give me any advantage in either getting the plants to grow, or to keep algae at bay. I found that as long as you provide a bunch of fast growing stem plants (even if you plan on removing them) they out compete the algae. Doesn't hurt to have some small algae eaters either like Otto catfish, snails, and shrimp. If you are supplying lighting, CO2, and ferts from the beginning, the plants grow quick. When I tried the dry start, the plants seemed to go dormant when I switched from dry to wet....alot of them turning yellow and dieing. Of course, I might have done something wrong since I only tried it once, but that was my experience :)

OK, since I'm not even completely sure what a "dry start" is, I can confidently defer to @Waters on this one :)

If this refers to planting into a dry substrate, then adding water, here's a pretty good video from George Farmer on an aquascape:

I had a buddy do it with some success, but he did it a little different. He would flood the tank once a week for 24 hours and then drain it again. His thought was it was less shock for the plants plus he noticed some mold growing from the moisture and it stopped that. I don't know if the method had anything to do with his success or not. I'm just not sure I can be patient enough to try it. Hopefully with a better light and the co2 I can be more successful with the carpet this time. @Waters, you are correct that light is strong I was really surprised when I was messing with it last night.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Basically a dry start its planting a carpet plant and letting it spread before you fill the tank up. The soil is kept wet through out, and you saran wrap the top of the tank, creating a greenhouse effect. Once the carpet as spread and is thick you flood the tank and let it run.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've never seen anybody use super glue on plants, but it makes sense. I am really considering using it for moss in this tank. Every other method I've tried as failed pretty miserably.

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically a dry start its planting a carpet plant and letting it spread before you fill the tank up. The soil is kept wet through out, and you saran wrap the top of the tank, creating a greenhouse effect. Once the carpet as spread and is thick you flood the tank and let it run.

Sounds great on paper (lcd screen?)!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%

Back