22 gallon office build

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tanks - do you dose CO2 to all of them? What ferts do you use? Maintenance schedule? I'll be working on a planted tank as well, so it'd be nice to hear what works...
Thanks :) The only tank that used CO2 was the big one full of plants....the other two were just ferts. I was using these http://greenleafaquariums.com/products/pps-pro-aquarium-fertilizer-package.html and actually still dose the nitrates into my reef tank when needed. As far as maintenance, it was almost daily lol. Much more work than my reef tank. The high lights/CO2/ferts caused tremendously quick growth which required constant trimming. The stem plants in the back were picked just for that reason, to out compete any algae that tries to take over in the beginning. I had to cut the "lawn" with scissors at least once a week which then required about 30 minutes of trying to collect all the pieces. It was ran with a wet/dry filter so that required weekly maintenance also. I was burning through quite a bit of CO2 due to the high growth and the use of the wet/dry filter.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both of those look good, what size tank is the top one? And is that an AI prime?
Thanks :) The top tank is a 25 gallon AIO. The light is an AI Prime, turned WAY down but adjusted to more of an "amazon" spectrum.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) The top tank is a 25 gallon AIO. The light is an AI Prime, turned WAY down but adjusted to more of an "amazon" spectrum.
That’s awesome to see, very similar demensions to my AIO coming in. Kind of cool to see one set up as a planted already. So you think the AI can be too much? Or is your turned down just for that tank. I have no idea where to set this prime on this tank. First time running an AI prime on any tank.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome to see, very similar demensions to my AIO coming in. Kind of cool to see one set up as a planted already. So you think the AI can be too much? Or is your turned down just for that tank. I have no idea where to set this prime on this tank. First time running an AI prime on any tank.
Yeah, the AI can definitely be too much.....if you crank that up all the way, you will have nothing but algae issues, regardless of what fast growing plants you have. Mine was running about 20% with a predominately white/red spectrum (with a little bit of blue to bring out the colors of the cardinal tetras). I also kept mine lower since I wasn't running high lights or CO2.

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done!

BTW - did you post a goal weight?

no sir I don't really have one :) just along for the ride

on an unrelated note where do you guys stand on diatom blooms..so many people have opinions and they cannot all be right. Currently going for the 3 day blackout.

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) The only tank that used CO2 was the big one full of plants....the other two were just ferts. I was using these http://greenleafaquariums.com/products/pps-pro-aquarium-fertilizer-package.html and actually still dose the nitrates into my reef tank when needed. As far as maintenance, it was almost daily lol. Much more work than my reef tank. The high lights/CO2/ferts caused tremendously quick growth which required constant trimming. The stem plants in the back were picked just for that reason, to out compete any algae that tries to take over in the beginning. I had to cut the "lawn" with scissors at least once a week which then required about 30 minutes of trying to collect all the pieces. It was ran with a wet/dry filter so that required weekly maintenance also. I was burning through quite a bit of CO2 due to the high growth and the use of the wet/dry filter.
Thanks @Waters - I have the Greenleaf Aquarium ferts, so it's good to see a success story with their product. Was also going to by my CO2 regulator and tank from them down the road, and might actually purchase plants from them as well - seems like a well run and reputable company...

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Waters - I have the Greenleaf Aquarium ferts, so it's good to see a success story with their product. Was also going to by my CO2 regulator and tank from them down the road, and might actually purchase plants from them as well - seems like a well run and reputable company...
Np. Everything I have bought from them has been very good quality. I would recommend buying your CO2 tank from somebody else though....they are way over priced (at least they used to be). I got mine from https://beveragelements.com/ Back when I set up the tank, it was MUCH cheaper through them. They also sell regulators.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be running thrive for ferts for now, people seem to have good luck with it. There will be co2 on this tank, but I don’t know that it will packed with plants. Just haven’t really decided yet. The mangroves I ordered will be going in first. I should be able to keep the lights fairly low till I get more in there. With the mangroves being above water they won’t need to be way high.

This little tank will be running of paint ball canisters. @neoGeorge its an inexpensive option to look at. They are easy to find and on my 75 they lasted about 6 weeks. I have three of them and just went in every few month to fill two of them.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still getting messed around with these people with my rock and driftwood. It's in north carolina and was delivered somewhere. I asked if I could just pick a new piece and they send me some more rock. They want to try getting the other person to print a label and mail it to me. I called twice yesterday and I will be again today, it's getting a little old. I"m not upset about the mistake, stuff happens. I'm upset because they are very concerned about getting it fixed.

On a positive note, light and heater should be here today.

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the AI can definitely be too much.....if you crank that up all the way, you will have nothing but algae issues, regardless of what fast growing plants you have. Mine was running about 20% with a predominately white/red spectrum (with a little bit of blue to bring out the colors of the cardinal tetras). I also kept mine lower since I wasn't running high lights or CO2.

I'm going to be using the Cobalt Aquatics C-Ray 200 and calibrating for about 50 PAR at the substrate (using a Seneye).
I will be running thrive for ferts for now, people seem to have good luck with it. There will be co2 on this tank, but I don’t know that it will packed with plants. Just haven’t really decided yet. The mangroves I ordered will be going in first. I should be able to keep the lights fairly low till I get more in there. With the mangroves being above water they won’t need to be way high.

This little tank will be running of paint ball canisters. @neoGeorge its an inexpensive option to look at. They are easy to find and on my 75 they lasted about 6 weeks. I have three of them and just went in every few month to fill two of them.

Thanks @mch1984 - I'll look into the paint ball canister option!

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on an unrelated note where do you guys stand on diatom blooms..so many people have opinions and they cannot all be right. Currently going for the 3 day blackout.

Have you determined what is causing the diatom blooms? If not, and I realize you must know this, you're simply treating the symptom and not the cause.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to comment on that, I'm sure not everybody agrees with me on this. With the age of your tank I think it's just part of it and it will go away.

@crusso1993 is right, black out wont fix what is causing it, especially if it's just part of the new tank syndrome

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back