220 build Foam and rock aquascaping w/ tons of corals

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I actually built this tank months ago. However times have been busy, and I didnt have all the time in the world to document it, so I will include as many pictures as I have. If anyone has questions about something or a process that wasnt documented w/ pics just post it up and I will try my best to answer it. So I will post a few things each day, instead of post overload all at once.

OP
OP
exoticcoralfrags

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off let me say, I looked for a reef ready tank for months. I wanted either a 180 or 220, but didnt want the overflows in the corners that you could see directly into. Not that those tanks arent great or you cant cover the overflow w/ something, but both sides are viewable. one is viewable from my entry way, and the other side is viewable from my main hallway, and I just didnt want to be staring into an overflow each time I walked by. So I had to drive 3 hours away to find the tank I wanted in Dallas.
Then started the planning. I wanted to add a few outlets to the existing wall. I wanted to tile where the new tank would go, and most of all tons of research on the Foam and Rock construction. I have alwasy wanted to create shapes that arent possible by just stacking rock. spiraling ledges and huge pillars. I also wanted to create a rock wall on the back side, w/ ledges and a big cave. I looked into the drilling and pinning of rocks. Some people use 3/8" acrylic rod, or plastic all thread, I have even seen PVC being used. I think they all have their place in aquascaping, but not a perfect fit for every single structure. Not to mention I learned from experience that acrylic and plastic rod bend and are too flexible for my taste, and drilling for PVC, you might as well be setting up an oil rig w/ the size drill bit you have to use, and you have to be some type of freaking ninja to not crumble every single rock you drill w/ the gigantic drill bit you have to use.
So it seamed that the Foam and Rock technique would be most appealing, however is it safe for corals fish and inverts???????? I watched a few build threads for months just to see if something would leach into the water after time making things unstable. However few of these build threadds I was watching had alot of coral. That was the one problem, I have an over abundance lol, "like that is ever a problem when you are an addict"
Keep following this post, and in the end result you can see how corals, fish, and inverts fare using this technique.

OP
OP
exoticcoralfrags

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prep work

So the tank ended up sitting in the garage for months, while I planned and did the prep work. :cry:
I had to tear out a wooden panle off the wall where the tank would go, it stuck out like a sore thumb and I ave no clue what its purpose was since it wasnt very attractive.
then I had to repair some drywall where it was, texture, add a few outlets, and paint to match.

Attachments

• prep2.jpg
    prep2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 255
  • prep1.jpg
    prep1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 266
OP
OP
exoticcoralfrags

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so the pic above of the blank wall, and the tile is after I did the drywall and everything. I found another pic of what it looked like previously w/ the wood panel in the corner, so you can see why I wanted to remove it and start fresh.

Attachments

• AQUARIUM TILES 007.jpg
    AQUARIUM TILES 007.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 306
OP
OP
exoticcoralfrags

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foam Aquascaping

OK, so let me say how disappointed I am. I had taken about 100 pics of the foam and rock aquascaping process, however after I took all those pics I filled up my 1gb SD card, so I had to purchase another to shoot corals. Now I cant find that SD to save my life!!!!! :(
that is so upsetting, I wanted to document it in a build thread so bad. However I have a few basic pics from a foam build I did for someone that I will include. Plus The 220 is becoming 2 small and it may end up being a show display in a shop :)
If that all takes place I will be doing a new build thread on a custom tank, more to come on that topic.

OP
OP
exoticcoralfrags

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it all begins w/ rock. you want to pick your pieces based on shape and over all appeal. I like to make crazy structures that you are unable to do by just drilling and pinning rock. I like giant structures, w/ giant ledges and arches. Literally impossible to tackle until Pond foam and fiberglass resin were introduced into Aquascaping.

Attachments

• rock wall 031.jpg
    rock wall 031.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 251

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am following as well!

OP
OP
exoticcoralfrags

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copyright infringement!!!! LOL

So, since I cant find the photos of the build I did on the 220, and wanted to give a few step by step pics and pointers, I will use some pics from Daniels bowfront build I took while I was building his rock wall and foam and rock structures. I hope we can still be friends Daniel! LOL

So the first thing I like to do Is make an outline of the actual inside dimensions of the aquarium, including overflows using painters tape. This gives you the idea of how it will look sitting in the tank. Trust me, building a heavy rock structure, then carrying it inside the house multiple hundreds of times while dropping sand all over the tile and carpet does NOT make the wife a happy camper. So keeping the mess in the garage is totally necessary :)

Attachments

• daniel build 002.jpg
    daniel build 002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 255
  • daniel build 003.jpg
    daniel build 003.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 242
OP
OP
exoticcoralfrags

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
step 2

the next step is figuring out what configuration you want your final structures to end up looking like. I am not real creative so this is my most time consuming step. I stack them, then sit on a bucket looking at it for an hour, then restack it and so on lol.
Once you have an idea of how you want the base of the structures to be, then you drill tiny pilot holes, just big enough for Zip ties. The idea is to hold the rocks in place any way necessary just long enough for the pond foam to set up. I use anything and everything that is at my disposal :) Keep in mind you cant build the entire vertical structure at once. You have to build the base and keep working your way up.
so after you have drilled your pilot holes for the zip ties to hold the rocks together temporarily, set the rock out in the sun to dry for a day or 2. I suggest drilling the rock while its wet. it drills much easier than dry rock and a lot less crumbling and breaking. The drilling is a fine art, not too much pressure, and dont drill where there is a fault line of sorts where an entire third of the rock will instantly break cleanly off. I have used every type of drill bit imagineable. and the best in my oppinion for this is the Dewalt drill bits w/ the pilot starting tip.

OP
OP
exoticcoralfrags

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 3

Next is the foaming portion. Again I cant document this perfectly the way I want. This picture is of the right pillar in my 220, and it is already halfway constructed. Hopefully you can get the point, but if there are any questions, shoot.
I like to stack the dry rock in the precise way I drilled it. Then zip tie it together. you may have to add something additional to help support the heavy rocks, paint cans, bags of dog food lol, etc. the point is to brace the 2 pieces of rock together in a tight fit, so you can put the foam in the gaps, just long enough for it to set up. Most of the time about 6 hours later the foam will be hardened, and it is strong enough to hold the rocks in place. in some cases w/ super heavy rocks leave the dog food bag there until you throw resin on it, then it is definetely strong enough.
the other pic is of daniels build, I just had to verify that dog food bags and paint cans really are useable and make you feel like MacGyver when its all said and done LOL

Attachments

• CL 006.jpg
    CL 006.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 255
  • daniel build 002.jpg
    daniel build 002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 250

danielbui23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, since I cant find the photos of the build I did on the 220, and wanted to give a few step by step pics and pointers, I will use some pics from Daniels bowfront build I took while I was building his rock wall and foam and rock structures. I hope we can still be friends Daniel! LOL

So the first thing I like to do Is make an outline of the actual inside dimensions of the aquarium, including overflows using painters tape. This gives you the idea of how it will look sitting in the tank. Trust me, building a heavy rock structure, then carrying it inside the house multiple hundreds of times while dropping sand all over the tile and carpet does NOT make the wife a happy camper. So keeping the mess in the garage is totally necessary :)

No worries, it will just cost you two custom made sumps from Regal Plastics.

roninouye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rock503.jpg
rock502.jpg
rock2002.jpg

Above is my rock wall on a 38g cube. I have used more rock than foam so I don't have to worry about it floating. I have ripped the smooth surface of the foam with needle-nose plyers leaving a rough/irregular surface (middle photo). I then epoxy and sand the foam for the finished product in the 3rd photo. I have used the foam rock to hide 2 pvc pipes (one hooked up to a pump to drain water directly into a bathroom sink drain) and the second is an additional return used to return water to display tank from GFO/Carbon reactors AND to add new salt water from a pump in garage for water changes. I want to hide as much as I can.

CustomReefCreations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how that turned out. what type of sand or substrate did you use?
I plan on doing a build thread from start to finish on the SPS show tank

roninouye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you are asking me or Exoticcoralfrags. But I used the sugar size aragonite substrate. I think it conforms to the base rock and foam better. I have recently read on ReefCentral of another "foam rock wall" builder whose tank crashed after 4 years. He said his foam was saturated with water and was not sure if it contributed to his crash. As a result, I have tried to coat all foam with 2-3 coats of epoxy to try and seal the foam from absorbing water. I have done this both front and back and whereever I could see any foam. Hoping this will do the job.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back