OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know for a future build. Thanks
Of course. It seems there’s no ‘documentation’ (or if there is it’s very little) on this stuff.
trying to find a frame has been the death of me
Ive been told by many that they stopped selling frames 4-5 years ago. Spoke with every pet store in a 70 mile radius and only one says they can get what I need. (Excluding the major chains, only called them once a piece)
There’s a place in Jacksonville that makes frames, just not to the width I need.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I use for spacing? I got these cabinet bumpers, but they are too big. It seems the very small ones you’d pay a lot for (why I don’t know) and I’m nervous to leave them in the silicon.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the day we put it together, and it was a disaster. We used too much silicon (cut the tip too large) and it got everywhere even with tape, and clumped up. It set before we could even think about smoothing it out properly (wanted to get all the seams done before it set) and in the process, we somehow completely missed about 1” of a bottom seam until an hour later.

with all the silicon all over the place, it covered up a major mistake- the right side side pane was not square and it’s off like 1/8 of an inch.
The left side pane is also off on one edge, probably 1/4 of an inch. I didn’t double check my dad’s side like I tried to do the other.

In response to the er... not squareness of the aquarium, my dad told me to put more silicon on it in hopes it will hold. I tried explaining it won’t help and I really don’t feel comfortable filling this in a couple days.

We also had a very very small piece of glass go flying- and were not entirely sure why. My guess is the person on that side (we had a total of 3 of us) laid the very edge on the frame.

Im very concerned if we should even fill this tank, or restart and try again with the experience we have
We haven’t put the top frame on since there’s clamps, and I’m confident I could save the bottom frame. If I don’t save the bottom, we will have to add another $100

Attachments

• E51C0CF5-6243-4F81-A6ED-96E448FEC878.jpeg
    E51C0CF5-6243-4F81-A6ED-96E448FEC878.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 37

AJTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the 1/8 and 1/4 is not a major issue if it is on the inside (i.e. the side panes are inside and the front or back panes are sticking out), basically the side panes are making 100 contact to the front and back pane.

The glass flying off could be a chip and it needs to have silicone contact. Check if you see any bubbles with a flash light.

The 1 inch missing silicone is probably a big problem assuming that you missed it the first time and then went and filled it in later since it could be your weak spot new silicone does not bond well to old silicone.

As for the silicone lines not straight you could always clean them up slightly as long as the seams are good.

Also why did you do the overflow at the same time. That could be done after.

Take a light source and go and check every seam for bubbles/gap. For the bottom since you have the frame the only way to check is getting the top and shine the light to the seam and from that light side or the other side check if you can see a clean seam, sorry can't explain that better.

But if in doubt take it apart and start again. 3rd time is when I got mine to where I felt confident.

You have my number, call or text if needed

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the 1/8 and 1/4 is not a major issue if it is on the inside (i.e. the side panes are inside and the front or back panes are sticking out), basically the side panes are making 100 contact to the front and back pane.

The glass flying off could be a chip and it needs to have silicone contact. Check if you see any bubbles with a flash light.

The 1 inch missing silicone is probably a big problem assuming that you missed it the first time and then went and filled it in later since it could be your weak spot new silicone does not bond well to old silicone.

As for the silicone lines not straight you could always clean them up slightly as long as the seams are good.

Also why did you do the overflow at the same time. That could be done after.

Take a light source and go and check every seam for bubbles/gap. For the bottom since you have the frame the only way to check is getting the top and shine the light to the seam and from that light side or the other side check if you can see a clean seam, sorry can't explain that better.

But if in doubt take it apart and start again. 3rd time is when I got mine to where I felt confident.

You have my number, call or text if needed
If I remember right without walking in there lol, I believe the right side is sticking in, and the left side is sticking out. I’d just hate to have to take it apart again, because the first time around we chipped the glass quite a bit, And I’d be afraid to damage the frame in any way. I read that the overflows go in at the same time, and I’ve read they don’t. I figured that it would be best to put them in at the same time otherwise they wouldn’t hold water back. (New silicon doesnt adhere to old silicon) really wish I could’ve got new ones too, but I’m trying to save money where I can.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back