220 gallon Nem tank build

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Okay so I’m going to start this now because it has water in it finally. I’m quick to set up tanks so I should Have it filled and cycled within a week or 2 :) I use sand and rock from old tanks so it should move things along fast :) I put it close to a window to give the nems some natural light!

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’m old school I like to use and overflow box I have a nice big one I plan to do a double sump one with filters and another for a refugium :) and yes it’s one of my newest female emerald tree boas she’s still adjusting and I have her in my dart frog she’s being cycled in there as if it’s a rain chamber :) she’s been treated, quarantined and tested free of parasites :) so she’s okay to be with the home bred darts :)

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Got some live sand and one of my rocks in the tank today. I also put this fx5 filled with just bio media from an established tank, I use it to help quick start tanks. I will hopefully get the sup or some kind of under tank filtration going tomorrow :) I’m a simple guy with filtration so don’t expect anything complicated or crazy :,)

87963699-B883-494B-B03B-E6317FAA2F9D.jpeg

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I also like simplicity with less equipment to fail. Following along.
That’s how I feel. This hobby should be fun not complicated :,) for the temporary sump(I really need this thing going for some large nems) just a 20 gallon with a 5 gallon bucket inserted with holes cut out in the bottom and filled with filter floss and other mechanical filtration as well as carbon.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I plan on building a custom double tank sump. with the first and largest tank being a settling tank for baby anemones and have that tank trickle into another sump tank filled with filter floss and protein skimmer to then be pumped back up to the display

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taylor had this setup as well with his sump, but the baby gigs would dissolve from the high flow? He tried low flow and the same issues. How will you target phytoplankton to feed them? Wouldn't the flow be too much?

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Taylor had this setup as well with his sump, but the baby gigs would dissolve from the high flow? He tried low flow and the same issues. How will you target phytoplankton to feed them? Wouldn't the flow be too much?
I’m setting it up today I will post pictures and a short description:) I also ordered 3 800 watt led lights for each of the sections of the tank I plan to hang them 10” above the water and I will be ordering a kessil for the baby Nem settling tank.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are those lights sitting on? Egg crate? Will they be mounted higher for spread?

Are you going to add more powerheads to keep the magnifica happy?

Looks good so far. I have the same amount of rock in my 55 gal. lol. Keep thinking of moving them to a bigger tank but a small nano tank is just so easy for maintenance. Will the other tank be shutdown?

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What are those lights sitting on? Egg crate? Will they be mounted higher for spread?

Are you going to add more powerheads to keep the magnifica happy?

Looks good so far. I have the same amount of rock in my 55 gal. lol. Keep thinking of moving them to a bigger tank but a small nano tank is just so easy for maintenance. Will the other tank be shutdown?
I was actually waiting on new lights today I just have them resting on top of the tank on supports. I plan on hanging the lights 10” above the surface :)

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
As for power heads I have one max spect gyre should do the trick might add one more to the other side of the tank :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back