220 Light Options

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice...I currently have a standard 220 and have run AI Sols for the last 10 years...I've never really cared for the spectrum and haven't been happy with the LEDs anyway. I've needed to upgrade the lights, but never wanted to spend the money to do so. I saw a video that Tidal Gardens put out on HO T5 fixtures purchased on Amazon. I have been trying to justify spending the money on a ATI or Giesemann fixture, but can't bring myself to do it. I keep a softie/anemone dominated tank and am happy with the ease of the ecosystem I have created. My last lighting purchase(before AI Sols) was a retrofit T5 unit that I want to recreate. I'm probably going to purchase a few of the units on Amazon and buy ATI bulbs(due to color spectrum). My question is...Amazon only has 4 ft and 2 ft fixtures...do I purchase 3X2ft fixtures or buy 1X4ft and 1X2ft fixture? Will it make any difference? If I buy 3X2ft fixtures, I need to by 4 more bulbs...just looking for some advice and thoughts on this...Thanks in advance for response.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice...I currently have a standard 220 and have run AI Sols for the last 10 years...I've never really cared for the spectrum and haven't been happy with the LEDs anyway. I've needed to upgrade the lights, but never wanted to spend the money to do so. I saw a video that Tidal Gardens put out on HO T5 fixtures purchased on Amazon. I have been trying to justify spending the money on a ATI or Giesemann fixture, but can't bring myself to do it. I keep a softie/anemone dominated tank and am happy with the ease of the ecosystem I have created. My last lighting purchase(before AI Sols) was a retrofit T5 unit that I want to recreate. I'm probably going to purchase a few of the units on Amazon and buy ATI bulbs(due to color spectrum). My question is...Amazon only has 4 ft and 2 ft fixtures...do I purchase 3X2ft fixtures or buy 1X4ft and 1X2ft fixture? Will it make any difference? If I buy 3X2ft fixtures, I need to by 4 more bulbs...just looking for some advice and thoughts on this...Thanks in advance for response.
I mean I totally get why you want to run the T5s. Trust me. But have you seen a tank with these new G5 radions? And seriously like this is no ad for them. I only have Prime HDs. But I know that I’ll be going with the G5 Blues for my new build. They’re darn expensive, but the amount you’ll save in the long run with bulb replacement and ballast replacement plus the hastle of all of that! BAM!! A few new radions and you’re good for 10 years again with high efficiency. Thank you.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and the look of the new radions is literally T5 like. The new radions look completely different from those old sols.

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I totally get why you want to run the T5s. Trust me. But have you seen a tank with these new G5 radions? And seriously like this is no ad for them. I only have Prime HDs. But I know that I’ll be going with the G5 Blues for my new build. They’re darn expensive, but the amount you’ll save in the long run with bulb replacement and ballast replacement plus the hastle of all of that! BAM!! A few new radions and you’re good for 10 years again with high efficiency. Thank you.

All good points, but just not wanting to spend that amount of money to cover lighting. I understand that new bulbs need to be purchased annually, but I just can't justify dropping(guessing here) $1500 on new lights...thinking about just getting T5's and bulbs(brand new) for around $400.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Chinese T5 fixtures and they a get to about 75-80% of ATI for output. Fine for a frag tank, shallow tank or other lower light situations and could work for your softies and nems (assuming no Mags or Gigs which could need more light). Look for ones with the individual reflectors and keep them clean. I would get 48 and 24 and buy 2/3 of the bulbs over having three fixtures.

Even if you get these, keep an eye out for a used ATI fixture in the future. Sometimes you can find them really cheap when somebody is buying other lights. A 60" 6 bulb would probably be about perfect for your tank.

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Chinese T5 fixtures and they a get to about 75-80% of ATI for output. Fine for a frag tank, shallow tank or other lower light situations and could work for your softies and nems (assuming no Mags or Gigs which could need more light). Look for ones with the individual reflectors and keep them clean. I would get 48 and 24 and buy 2/3 of the bulbs over having three fixtures.

Even if you get these, keep an eye out for a used ATI fixture in the future. Sometimes you can find them really cheap when somebody is buying other lights. A 60" 6 bulb would probably be about perfect for your tank.

Thanks for the input. I have searched for used ATI fixtures(60”) and haven’t found one for less than $900. I do have a Gig and it is settled under one of my current lights with 3 of the 8 pucks completely out. I had a friend suggest keeping 2 AI lights on the ends and purchasing a 48” fixture. If I learn how to take apart the AI lights and change bulbs, I could marry together a coupleto have complete fixtures...sounds like that might be best plan.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back