220 predator stocking

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through the other predator threads I’ve decided to finally post as I feel I’ve exhausted all the new information I could find.
I have a 220gallon (6’that is a predator based tank.
current stock:
1 clown trigger (3”)
1 Picasso Trigger(3”)
1 Spiny box puffer (5”)

I am looking at adding to the stock. I know eventually I will need either a bigger tank or to rehome some of the fish. (How long before I’d have to do that do you think? Basing it off growth rates rather than the aggression aspect)

additional future stock:
1 dwarf lion fish/ fuzzy lion or even volitan. I’m undecided on which.

1-2 Clarkii Clownfish

1 snowflake eel

1 Australian harlequin tusk

1 fox face Rabbitfish

1 Niger trigger

1 miniatus grouper

then… hopefully… some sort of cleanup crew…
Urchin of sorts (tuxedo?)
Hermit crabs
Conch
Snails
Bristle worms
Astarina starfish
im Sure most of the CUC would become disposable in a fairly quick time frame, but does anyone have other suggestions or input for my predator tank with a potential CUC?

OP
OP
PeytonRex

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon sump bioballs, porcelain, marine filter floss, eshopps s-300 protein skimmer, and I believe my pump is rated at 1200gph(I’ll have to double check) but it’s running at about 75% currently and UV sterilizer.

man’s overstocking is what I am also concerned about. I know predatory fish are naturally dirtier than herbivores… what would you personally do differently in the tank? Which fish would you do without?

i think each fish on your list looks good, but it might be a bit too many total.
what are you running for filtration would be a factor there

Last edited:

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a good amount of time before worrying about any of those out growing at 220g at their current size. I like your list as a predator keeper. Maybe pick 2 or 3 that are your least favorite and go with the rest. Lionfish will require some type of live feeding for longterm success and some target feeding in the beginning. So maybe consider if you're willing to go that route. Eventually yes some would need to rehomed but you have time.

As for cleanup crew, I'd skip it all together on a predator tank You'll hear so many opinions but listen to folks that have these bigger tanks and types if fish. I have an army of good scrub brushes and big water changes. This is fowlr life..

OP
OP
PeytonRex

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a good amount of time before worrying about any of those out growing at 220g at their current size. I like your list as a predator keeper. Maybe pick 2 or 3 that are your least favorite and go with the rest. Lionfish will require some type of live feeding for longterm success and some target feeding in the beginning. So maybe consider if you're willing to go that route. Eventually yes some would need to rehomed but you have time.

As for cleanup crew, I'd skip it all together on a predator tank You'll hear so many opinions but listen to folks that have these bigger tanks and types if fish. I have an army of good scrub brushes and big water changes. This is fowlr life..
I don’t have a huge issue with target feeding; to me, that seems like it’d be a good bit of fun. But I wonder if (when the time comes) I were to get a second tank like a 90 gallon, I could transfer a few into that one.
But I think if I were to skip out on any, maybe I’d skip out on the eel because the “newness and unknown” of them intimidates me a bit. This is my first salt water aquarium and I’m still doing the never ending research on each specimen I hope to keep.
The second one would be the lion fish based off of their special feeding.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through the other predator threads I’ve decided to finally post as I feel I’ve exhausted all the new information I could find.
I have a 220gallon (6’that is a predator based tank.
current stock:
1 clown trigger (3”)
1 Picasso Trigger(3”)
1 Spiny box puffer (5”)

I am looking at adding to the stock. I know eventually I will need either a bigger tank or to rehome some of the fish. (How long before I’d have to do that do you think? Basing it off growth rates rather than the aggression aspect)

additional future stock:
1 dwarf lion fish/ fuzzy lion or even volitan. I’m undecided on which.

1-2 Clarkii Clownfish

1 snowflake eel

1 fox face Rabbitfish

1 Niger trigger

1 miniatus grouper

then… hopefully… some sort of cleanup crew…
Urchin of sorts (tuxedo?)
Hermit crabs
Conch
Snails
Bristle worms
Astarina starfish
im Sure most of the CUC would become disposable in a fairly quick time frame, but does anyone have other suggestions or input for my predator tank with a potential CUC?
Skip the grouper and the volitans.

Volitans will have his fins chewed off by the clown or picasso, and the miniatus is just so aggressive with other fish.

Get the clarkii pair, and instead of the grouper and volitans consider a bird wrasse and a grunt of some type? Scolopsis bilineatus and Pentapodus emeryii are both awesome aquarium fish, don't get huge, and will even help turn your sandbed. Goatfish would also do well in this system as long as you feed them frequently. Another nice option would be a pair of blackbar soldierfish, and they'd give you the red color missing from the miniatus, without the aggression and eating tankmates almost the same size. Another often overlooked but awesome fish is the anchorago tuskfish, just something to consider.

Skip the cleanup crew, they'll just get eaten.

OP
OP
PeytonRex

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the grouper and the volitans.

Volitans will have his fins chewed off by the clown or picasso, and the miniatus is just so aggressive with other fish.

Get the clarkii pair, and instead of the grouper and volitans consider a bird wrasse and a grunt of some type? Scolopsis bilineatus and Pentapodus emeryii are both awesome aquarium fish, don't get huge, and will even help turn your sandbed. Goatfish would also do well in this system as long as you feed them frequently. Another nice option would be a pair of blackbar soldierfish, and they'd give you the red color missing from the miniatus, without the aggression and eating tankmates almost the same size. Another often overlooked but awesome fish is the anchorago tuskfish, just something to consider.

Skip the cleanup crew, they'll just get eaten.
Thank you so much for the constructive input! I cannot express how much this has helped. I’ll do some research on what you suggested!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice already— especially to kiss goodbye dreams of a CUC a/k/a “snacks” (lol… no big deal). I’d add the H. Tusk you want and a Rabbit Fish (I have two large Goldline Rabbits that ‘buddy’ together in my 150, raised from the size of quarters), and you might top things off with a large, aggressive Wrasse (like a Lunare). Fill in with small fish for color— Talbots, Damsels, etc.

18062C80-01D8-48D8-B6C9-4D07011BCB90.jpeg

OP
OP
PeytonRex

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice already— especially to kiss goodbye dreams of a CUC a/k/a “snacks” (lol… no big deal). I’d add the H. Tusk you want and a Rabbit Fish (I have two large Goldline Rabbits that ‘buddy’ together in my 150, raised from the size of quarters), and you might top things off with a large, aggressive Wrasse (like a Lunare). Fill in with small fish for color— Talbots, Damsels, etc.

18062C80-01D8-48D8-B6C9-4D07011BCB90.jpeg
Thanks for the input. My only concern with a wrasse is that I’ve read that a snowflake eel wouldn’t mind making a meal out of one. Do you have any insight on that?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. My only concern with a wrasse is that I’ve read that a snowflake eel wouldn’t mind making a meal out of one. Do you have any insight on that?
Technically they're all at risk with an eel. I've seen snowflake eels that behaved perfectly and some that ate all their tankmates. Well fed eels tend to be better companions.

A zebra eel is a safer choice by far.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought you were dropping the eel. Well, I don’t know eels— others here will— but if someone says one can catch a Wrasse, more power to him! Lol. Although frankly, a Lunare Wrasse does not bury in the sand to sleep. So if he’s just wedged in a rock to sleep, I suppose an eel could sniff him out.

OP
OP
PeytonRex

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought you were dropping the eel. Well, I don’t know eels— others here will— but if someone says one can catch a Wrasse, more power to him! Lol. Although frankly, a Lunare Wrasse does not bury in the sand to sleep. So if he’s just wedged in a rock to sleep, I suppose an eel could sniff him out.
I’m not going to lie, my wife and I sat down tonight to discuss the future of our tank and it’s inhabitants. We seemed to have developed a decent compromise. Since I told her “no” to tangs, and I already determined, based off of the input from others, that a grouper is not an ideal choice; my wife decided that we should forego a lion fish.
We both want a tank that is predatory, but also hardy and fairly straightforward.
As long winded as this is, we decided to skip the snowflake eel as well (for now).

our current stock list that we are aiming for is:
Currently:
1 Picasso trigger
1 spiny box puffer
1 clown trigger

future stock:
2 Clarkii clownfish
1 one spot fox face
1 Niger trigger
1 lunare wrasse

undecided, but we are thinking about a handful of damsels as well. My question is though, are individual damsels okay? I know a shoal is preferred, but there are five different damsels we like, and ideally would only do 1 of each. Or a combo of a certain one. These are the only fish that we aren’t too certain about.
-Talbot, Jewel, Biota orange tail, Neon, garibaldi (I’m aware they can get large)

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the right tang could add your survivable cuc? My yellow eyed kole tang (bristle tooth) is a hard (cuc) worker.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some beautiful trigger fish out their...
+1 about dumping the minatius grouper.
There's other sunbeam, grunts, hamlets ect.
Look at the misc section in fish for sale too. Beams ect.
D

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet for mixing those Damsels in a 6’ 220 would be to add them all at once; hopefully some will pick some rocks near the left, middle, and right as territories.

OP
OP
PeytonRex

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the right tang could add your survivable cuc? My yellow eyed kole tang (bristle tooth) is a hard (cuc) worker.
I’m just not too fond of them being ich magnets. Plus, I figured the fox face would do a fairly decent job at cleaning too.

OP
OP
PeytonRex

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet for mixing those Damsels in a 6’ 220 would be to add them all at once; hopefully some will pick some rocks near the left, middle, and right as territories.
That’s what I was also wondering. And they should be my last fish to go in the tank, right? So I need to be certain whether or not we want an eel. Lol

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was also wondering. And they should be my last fish to go in the tank, right? So I need to be certain whether or not we want an eel. Lol
Those little damsels aren't going to bother an eel. I keep damsels in almost all my tanks. Added later in the stocklist, and as juveniles, they really aren't that bad. And if you go with Pomacentrus, Chromis, and the smaller Chrysiptera vs Dascyllus, they are way more peaceful. Heck, I currently keep Chromis viridis, Acanthochromis polyacanthus,, Pomacentrus smithi, and Pomacentrus caeruleus in my 75 gallon with basslets, gobies, fairy wrasses, and firefish.

In a big tank with predators any of the Chrysiptera should thrive (maybe try a group of C. tapou), and I'd be tempted to try a small school of Dascyllus melanurus (especially with the other fish present to help force them to school). Maybe even add a few lemon damsels (Pomacentrus moluccensis) and a school of staghorn damsels (Amblyglyphidodon ternatensis). They are like green chromis but get bigger, tend to be a little hardier, and can handle a little more aggressive fish.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back