225g CDA SPS dream build

DSC00667.JPG
DSC00680.JPG
DSC00688.JPG
DSC00778.JPG
DSC00786.JPG
DSC00795.JPG
DSC00865.JPG
DSC00883.JPG
DSC00894.JPG
DSC00896.JPG
DSC00902.JPG
DSC00905.JPG
 
These are all leftover photos from the Reef of the Month feature I got yesterday. Figured I'd post them all so you can look at more of them if you want.
Note the teeny little Biota paired mandarin gobies spawning! Gamete release and everything. Pretty crazy at the size they're at.
 
Sorry it’s been so long since I’ve updated. I will try to photo dump soon. She’s still chugging. I’ve had to work to lower nutrients heavily. Had a huge GHA, dino and cya-no outbreak that killed my most prized frags but didn’t hurt my colonies much. Lots of coral warfare happening.
IMG_0827.jpeg
 
So glad to see this thread revived. Excited to see more pics of the tank.
 
So here’s some details on what’s been happening and how it’s changed my tank care. So I got behind on maintenance last winter and stopped doing as many water changes and used no filter socks. Nutrients kept creeping up til about 40 ppm NO3 and 0.8 ppm PO4 until the microbes decided now is the time to flourish and I had a massive GHa outbreak. This coincided with Dinos killing off most of my snail population. On top of this my fish herbivores don’t eat much algae in the tank. So then cyano settled on top of all of this. I began doing filter socks heavily, weekly water changes, GFO and ran a 40w UV on my manifold in the sump and was able over about 3 months to defeat the Dino’s. I added urchins and more snails to fight off the GHA and basted with a turkey baster for the cyano. The last two remain and come and go a bit but I’m winning again. Sadly the Dino and cyano mat killed off most of my newer frags including all the super high end ones I last posted like vivid insanity. Some sort of microbial thing attacked my Walt Disney colony at the very beginning of this and killed it off which possibly precipitated the entire event. But the colonies never stopped growing and I have lots of overgrown coral with warfare happening. Lost one wrasse to a jump through a crack in the netting around the feeder but otherwise all the fish are growing. The mandarins have grown immensely and still spawn regularly. Some chromis have occasionally disappeared as they do. All is well in the tank and I sometimes do lose the will to work on it and decide I won’t give up but it’s still going. Don’t give up!
 
Walt Disney being eaten alive by the microbes early in the summer. All that’s left of this formerly magnificent specimen.
IMG_0005.jpeg
 
So here’s some details on what’s been happening and how it’s changed my tank care. So I got behind on maintenance last winter and stopped doing as many water changes and used no filter socks. Nutrients kept creeping up til about 40 ppm NO3 and 0.8 ppm PO4 until the microbes decided now is the time to flourish and I had a massive GHa outbreak. This coincided with Dinos killing off most of my snail population. On top of this my fish herbivores don’t eat much algae in the tank. So then cyano settled on top of all of this. I began doing filter socks heavily, weekly water changes, GFO and ran a 40w UV on my manifold in the sump and was able over about 3 months to defeat the Dino’s. I added urchins and more snails to fight off the GHA and basted with a turkey baster for the cyano. The last two remain and come and go a bit but I’m winning again. Sadly the Dino and cyano mat killed off most of my newer frags including all the super high end ones I last posted like vivid insanity. Some sort of microbial thing attacked my Walt Disney colony at the very beginning of this and killed it off which possibly precipitated the entire event. But the colonies never stopped growing and I have lots of overgrown coral with warfare happening. Lost one wrasse to a jump through a crack in the netting around the feeder but otherwise all the fish are growing. The mandarins have grown immensely and still spawn regularly. Some chromis have occasionally disappeared as they do. All is well in the tank and I sometimes do lose the will to work on it and decide I won’t give up but it’s still going. Don’t give up!
Appreciate the update. It’s not always perfect but the drive to keep going pays off in the end.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new