240 Gallon Build

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R Members,

I am planning on building a 240ish gallon acrylic tank. I'm planning on building all of the big components, tank, stand and sump.

I have a few questions for those who have built tanks in the past. I plan on using 3/4" cast acrylic, tank external dimensions are 94"L x 24"W x 30"H. Do you guys have any sources that provide you with material (acrylic) thickness to height recommendation chart. I have only found a few, some say 1/2" others 3/4" for the height that I am going for (30"). I plan on using 3/4" material for the bottom and side panels, the top panel is going to be 1/2" and all panels will be CNC routed. I attached some pictures of how I want the aquarium to look, as well as few assembly views and the tank joints (blue).

I don't plan on keeping corals, fish only, for now.
240 Gallon Acrylic Tank.JPG
240 Gallon Acrylic Tank Ex View.JPG
240 Gallon Acrylic Tank Joints.JPG

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R Members,

I am planning on building a 240ish gallon acrylic tank. I'm planning on building all of the big components, tank, stand and sump.

I have a few questions for those who have built tanks in the past. I plan on using 3/4" cast acrylic, tank external dimensions are 94"L x 24"W x 30"H. Do you guys have any sources that provide you with material (acrylic) thickness to height recommendation chart. I have only found a few, some say 1/2" others 3/4" for the height that I am going for (30"). I plan on using 3/4" material for the bottom and side panels, the top panel is going to be 1/2" and all panels will be CNC routed. I attached some pictures of how I want the aquarium to look, as well as few assembly views and the tank joints (blue).

I don't plan on keeping corals, fish only, for now.
240 Gallon Acrylic Tank.JPG
240 Gallon Acrylic Tank Ex View.JPG
240 Gallon Acrylic Tank Joints.JPG
Looks good any reason you are going 30H and only 24W?

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah...just thinking about it from an surface area perspective....

I may end up buying a tank second hand, the prices of acrylic are pretty expensive around me. The dimensions seem to be common for tanks this size. More surface area would be beneficial for corals and rock work?

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may end up buying a tank second hand, the prices of acrylic are pretty expensive around me. The dimensions seem to be common for tanks this size. More surface area would be beneficial for corals and rock work?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back