245 Gallon Reef Tank

PilotClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am fairly experienced in the fish keeping hobby (2 freshwater tanks, 3 saltwater), but am just now biting the bullet on a larger tank. A 245 gallon custom built aquarium. I am getting it used with all filtration, lighting, protein skimmer, and everything else. Great stand and canopy. I am picking up the tank this weekend, and am wondering what recommendations you have for it. For example, what reef safe fish would you recommend, any added supplies, warnings, and if you think it can go on a second floor...

I plan for a lightly stocked tank with corals.

Thanks!

1649181513600.png

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am fairly experienced in the fish keeping hobby (2 freshwater tanks, 3 saltwater), but am just now biting the bullet on a larger tank. A 245 gallon custom built aquarium. I am getting it used with all filtration, lighting, protein skimmer, and everything else. Great stand and canopy. I am picking up the tank this weekend, and am wondering what recommendations you have for it. For example, what reef safe fish would you recommend, any added supplies, warnings, and if you think it can go on a second floor...

Thanks!

1649181513600.png
Awesome! Good luck with the build. I am looking for something similar to yours. What lighting did you get with it? Are you going to stick with it?

OP
OP
PilotClownfish

PilotClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Good luck with the build. I am looking for something similar to yours. What lighting did you get with it? Are you going to stick with it?
It comes with basic FOWLR lights. I am adding two AI prime 32 (because it is replacing a old tank) and down the line I will most likely add another AI light once I’m ready for higher light corals.

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes with basic FOWLR lights. I am adding two AI prime 32 (because it is replacing a old tank) and down the line I will most likely add another AI light once I’m ready for higher light corals.
I am curious about putting something like that on the second floor as well. I have resorted to thinking that I will probably have mine in the basement. It is actually the entryway into the house though and has a pool table and a bar as well. I know that the floor joist usually dictates how much weight you can have. It depends on which way they run and how far apart they are spread. What do yours look like underneath where the tank will go?

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that I am looking to see if there is any way I can get mine on the second floor as well! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
PilotClownfish

PilotClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious about putting something like that on the second floor as well. I have resorted to thinking that I will probably have mine in the basement. It is actually the entryway into the house though and has a pool table and a bar as well. I know that the floor joist usually dictates how much weight you can have. It depends on which way they run and how far apart they are spread. What do yours look like underneath where the tank will go?
The floor joists are fairly close together which is good, and according to my research the floor should hold. With that said, I don't necessarily like the word should.

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The floor joists are fairly close together which is good, and according to my research the floor should hold. With that said, I don't necessarily like the word should.
I totally understand :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: If you don't mind me asking what was the total asking price you paid for the setup? I saw something similar in the area for 2500 and am wondering how that matches up.

OP
OP
PilotClownfish

PilotClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: If you don't mind me asking what was the total asking price you paid for the setup? I saw something similar in the area for 2500 and am wondering how that matches up.
I got a really good deal. Full 245 gallon setup with sand, rocks, filtration, lighting, stand, canopy, wave-makers, and many other necessities for $1500. Pretty happy with this find. It is a custom built planet aquariums tank.

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a really good deal. Full 245 gallon setup with sand, rocks, filtration, lighting, stand, canopy, wave-makers, and many other necessities for $1500. Pretty happy with this find. It is a custom built planet aquariums tank.
Wow! That is an awesome deal. I will set that as my hopeful benchmark then.

OP
OP
PilotClownfish

PilotClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is an awesome deal. I will set that as my hopeful benchmark then.
I consider this a lucky find. I had been wanting a large tank about this size for a while, but could never find one that fits my budget. Finally after months of scouring Facebook Marketplace, I found an available one.

ffmurray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s obviously over a ton. I’d be nervous about it on the second floor. Factors that are important are is there a load bearing wall under it, spacing and dimensions of the floor joists, thicknesses of the subfloor, and orientation of the joists. Probably worth it to have a structural engineer look at it.

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider this a lucky find. I had been wanting a large tank about this size for a while, but could never find one that fits my budget. Finally after months of scouring Facebook Marketplace, I found an available one.
Send some luck this way! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
PilotClownfish

PilotClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s obviously over a ton. I’d be nervous about it on the second floor. Factors that are important are is there a load bearing wall under it, spacing and dimensions of the floor joists, thicknesses of the subfloor, and orientation of the joists. Probably worth it to have a structural engineer look at it.
Okay. I happen to know someone who is fairly crafty, so I'll have him take a look at it. I am struggling to find a place on the first floor, but I could probably find a place. I am worried about the noise because the downstairs place is in the living room. Any suggestions to lower the noise?

OP
OP
PilotClownfish

PilotClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if I could possibly put an Achilles Tang in this tank with corals. If I can, do I need to be worried about what other fish, inverts, or corals I put in?

OP
OP
PilotClownfish

PilotClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

1649181513600.png
Quick update, when I went to the person's house to inspect it/ buy it, I found that it is actually much larger. 280 gallons in display volume, 330 gallons in total volume. So that means upstairs is out of the option. Finding places downstairs to put it. Any ideas if I could put a Quoys Parrotfish in a reef tank of this size? Working on a complete stock list for review.

Thanks!

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, when I went to the person's house to inspect it/ buy it, I found that it is actually much larger. 280 gallons in display volume, 330 gallons in total volume. So that means upstairs is out of the option. Finding places downstairs to put it. Any ideas if I could put a Quoys Parrotfish in a reef tank of this size? Working on a complete stock list for review.

Thanks!
Not sure if you have seen this from LiveAquaria and I have no experience with that fish, but from a size standpoint it looks like you would be okay!

OP
OP
PilotClownfish

PilotClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you have seen this from LiveAquaria and I have no experience with that fish, but from a size standpoint it looks like you would be okay!

Thanks! I saw it originally on LiveAquaria. Do you happen to have any experience with Chalk Bass?

(Quick little self brag, sorry. The person selling me the tank is just getting out of the hobby. He is including a 90 gallon full tank, RODI, Salt, 2 AI hydras, and countless 5 gallon jugs. End of self brag.)

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I saw it originally on LiveAquaria. Do you happen to have any experience with Chalk Bass?

(Quick little self brag, sorry. The person selling me the tank is just getting out of the hobby. He is including a 90 gallon full tank, RODI, Salt, 2 AI hydras, and countless 5 gallon jugs. End of self brag.)
No, I do not. I always thought they looked cool though.

OP
OP
PilotClownfish

PilotClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's stock list time!

Now let me preface this by saying that I know it's a lot. I am willing/wanting to cut down on it for both health of my tank, and my bank account. I plan to introduce these fish in waves because of the financial burden, so I would like some advice on what I should introduce first. Please let me know any compatibility issues, and if you have used this food before. Keep in mind that I will be adding corals.

Now for the list!

FOOD
- LiveAquaria Fusion Fish Food

INVERTS
- 2x Blue Tuxedo Urchins
- 100x Cerith Snails
- 3x Emerald Crabs

FISH
- 2x Picasso Clownfish
- 1x Hybrid Powder Blue Tang
- 1x Quoys Parrotfish
- 6x Chalk Bass
- 1x Achilles Tang
- 6x Bangaii Cardinalfish
- 3x Dispar Anthias
- 1x Naso Tang or Blonde Naso Tang
- 1x Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
- 1x Flame Hawkfish
- 1x Diamond Watchman Goby
- 1x Foxface Lo
- 1x Starry Blenny
- 1x Clown Tang
- 1x Redfin Wrasse
- 1x Moorish Idol*

Thanks!

* The Moorish Idol I know is a difficult fish to keep, and hard in a reef setting. With that said, it is one of my favorite fish. If you have any tips to keep these fish in captivity, then please share!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back