24x24x24 Rimless Glass Thickness

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jaag
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jaag

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2015
Messages
476
Reaction score
158
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sup guys?
So I am wanting to build a 24 x 24 x 24 rimless tank. I am wondering how thick of glass I should go. Do you think a 1/4 of an inch would work?
 
SC Aquariums build their 50 cubes (24x24x20) with 10mm glass. You're adding an additional 4" of height using 6mm glass. Based on that, I'd say it's a no go.
 
I have a 65g with those dimensions and seems more like 1/2" to me. I filled it up with water for a few days to test for leaks and nothing. It was used before me.
 
Dumb question but if I cut the glass do I need to add on the thickness of the glass to make up for the thickness? This would depend on the panel of the tank though.
 
For example if I want my cube to 24x24x24 with half inch thick glass (or whatever thickness I decide) what size would the panels have to be?
 
Front and rear panels would be 24". Both side panels would be 23". On either end of the 23" side panels, they will be siliconed to the 1/2" thick front and back panels. 0.5" + 23" + 0.5" = 24"
 
If using 1/2" thick glass and you want a 24x24x24 cube, then your bottom panel should be 24x24. Front and back panels should be 24x23.5. And your side panels should be 23x23.5. These measurements account for the 1/2" thickness of the glass you're using.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new