$25 Amazon/Ebay 50W Refugium Light Review

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am working on building my new 90 gallon LPS/Softie tank and I wanted to add a refugium to my sump. I was doing a lot of research and after watching the BRS Investigates series on refugiums, it was clear that the main take away is more light equals more better.

With that in mind I wanted to go with the very brightest light I could find that would fit over the pretty limited size of the Fuge section built into my Fiji Cube 20 sump. I wanted to get the Kessil H380, but between them being $300 + tax and shipping and being out of stock most places, I started looking for an alternative.

This is when I came across this light on Amazon, $25 with prime shipping next day delivery. It says it was 300Watts and I was like, holy crap, that is going to be so bright, I would need to put a dimmer on it. After reading the description more I guess it's the equivalent of a 300W metal halide, as it the light it's self is only 50W. Still a little under powered compared to the H380 which is 90W at max brightness, but I figured for less than 1/10 the price, this thing gets me in the ballpark.

But for $25, how good could it really be...

fBwK2SU.jpg

I received the light today and it seems to be very high quality construction. It's very heavy and the lens feels great. All the hardware is nice, the cord is great and over all the unit just feels well constructed, no red flags here.

It's a simple plug in and it turns on, unplug and it turns off. No on/off switch or dimmer. A timer/smart outlet would be perfect for this. The fan is a bit noisy, sounds like it's probably spinning at around 2,000rpm, maybe a little less. I plan on running this at night while I'm sleeping, so I'm really not worried about the noise. If you wanted to I'm sure you could swap out the fan for a Noctua fan that would be much quieter.

BjHAsLh.jpg

The lens does a great job of focusing the beam, but like I said the fuge section in my sump is so small, I am going to 3D print a shade and line it with metal tape to focus the beam into the fuge to limit the light spill into the rest of the sump that much more. The light comes with hanging mounting hardware, probably everything you would need to hang it in your stand.

This uses a COB style LED, which is large diode made up of smaller diodes. In this pic you can make out all the individual diodes. The lens then focuses all the light they produce into a fine spot.
sv7mkbP.jpg

I hooked it up to my watt meter and it looks like it's pulling near the 50watt rating.

VDmDseO.jpg

At the height I am going to be mounting it over my fuge (before building the reflector shade) I am getting a little over 300par. I got this number by using an app on my phone to measure the lumens/lux and dividing that number by 70: 22,000 / 70 = 314par. This isn't a sure fire way of measuring par, but it gets you in the ball park. I used this trick to setup lighting for my hightech planted tanks back in the day and it never let me down. Take these par numbers with a grain of salt, but I think it's close.

As you can see from the pictures I am still setting up my tank and it will probably be some time before I can actually test it's performance as an actual refugium light, but I think this is a great start. I also can't speak to it's longevity aside from the observation that it feels very well made.

If you're looking for a fuge light, I say give this one a shot!

Thanks for reading. Let me know if you have any questions I can answer.

-Sean

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
300 at very high But for the price, wow

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

At the height I am going to be mounting it over my fuge (before building the reflector shade) I am getting a little over 300par. I got this number by using an app on my phone to measure the lumens/lux and dividing that number by 70: 22,000 / 70 = 314par. This isn't a sure fire way of measuring par, but it gets you in the ball park. I used this trick to setup lighting for my hightech planted tanks back in the day and it never let me down. Take these par numbers with a grain of salt, but I think it's close.

-Sean
That doesn't work for red/blue centric lighting..
Also 22000 lux would be insane PAR for that light.

Like over 1500
spectrum is like this:
p_3_5_7_357-thickbox_default-10-PCS-3w-full-spectrum-led-chip-380nm840nm-with-bridgelux-for-plant-grow-Indoor-DIY-plant-grow-light.jpg

ChaetoFarm_Kai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled upon this post a little while ago when when I was looking for a fuge light for my waterbox sump overhaul. Tried and returned 3 different options from Amazon before I settled on this one. I figured there are so many good Chinese grow lights that there’s no reason for me to spend $550 on a Kessil, as BRS’s fuge light testing found the cheap little purple PAR38 bulbs that screw into standard incandescent fixtures over chaeto were able to maintain 0ppm nitrate and phosphate while feeding 5 cubes of mysis a day.
So I went ahead and purchased this light and was pleased to see it throws a circular beam roughly 60-90 degrees with absolutely zero spilled light, perfect for a square fuge in a triton style sump. The internal electronics are also coated with a thick layer of some type of waterproofing resin as well for water resistance which is nice. I too found the fan a bit noisy so I went ahead and added a heatsink that allowed me to use a much quieter, lower RPM fan while maintaining a cooler operating temp. The main drawback I see with this light is that it is not dimmable, but we can compensate for that by playing with the schedule. Important to note that the original fan runs on 120vAC, so I used a 5v fan that came wired with a USB power supply with multiple speed settings.

Attachments

• BEDE24D7-82F2-4A63-AC4A-06B310A7FAE0.jpeg
    BEDE24D7-82F2-4A63-AC4A-06B310A7FAE0.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 89C16715-D095-4299-A6F6-2339F16B6901.jpeg
    89C16715-D095-4299-A6F6-2339F16B6901.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 45

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back