25-Gallon 'Aggressive' Reef

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest reef, 7 years since it was first set up. Recovering from being "nuked" due to an infestation of cotton candy algae I could not get under control. I had good success with a sea hare, unfortunately it fell prey to a fulgida worms, which still infest my tanks. So after exhausting every other method, I chose the nuclear option, and imposed a 3-month long total blackout. Wrapped the tank up completely with a black weed barrier, to ensure total light exclusion, but still allow for oxygen exchange, and thankfully it worked.

With all that said, I suppose the reader might wonder why the emphasis on "aggressive" in the title? Simple, this tank is mainly home to more aggressive species. I have three varieties of cactus coral (Pavona), and a Hydnophora colony. There is also a Rhodactis shroom in there, a few monti frags from my 15-g reef, and much of the tank is covered in clove polyps! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Luckily they are of the benign variety, meaning they do not smother other corals, but do take up real-estate, and make it harder for them to spread out.

Now to the good stuff!

25Main-May1st-2022-1.jpg

Equipment

- Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004
- 2x Tunze Nanostream 6055
- Tunze 7097 Multicontroller
- Aquael Ultra-Heater 100w
- Maxspect RSX 150w

Livestock

- 9x Assorted Hermit crabs
- 4x Trochus snails

I operate the pumps in a tidal-type configuration, alternating the direction of the flow in the tanks, every 6 hours. And I have set randomized pulse durations. I did have to make some adjustments, as these are powerful pumps and I normally use the smallest grain size on my sand. So I scooped back all the 0.1-0.5mm sand to the middle, and added a couple of kilograms of 0.5-1.7mm sand at each end, which stays in place nicely where the currents crash into the wall. I also just started feeding 4ml daily with Red Sea Reef Energy Plus, on account of not having any fish in here for the time being.

A few closeups. :)

25Main-May1st-2022-3.jpg 25Main-May1st-2022-2.jpg 25Main-May1st-2022-4.jpg SarcotheliaEggs.png

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knocked a frag down behind the rockwork, and had to move one of the top level rocks to get to it, found a pleasant surprise while I was at it. :)

96Big-Chiton-1.jpg

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received a new boulder this week and spent the day shimmying it in, completing my scape. :)
BigReef-2022-07-16-01.jpg

Also got a couple of pom-pom crabs, here's one of the little buggers creeping out in the evening. :)
BigReef-2022-07-16-04.jpg

Tried taking a couple of pictures of critters on the glass with my macro lens.
BigReef-2022-07-16-03.jpg

BigReef-2022-07-16-02.jpg

The last image I'm pretty sure is a medusae of digitate hydroids. All my tanks are teeming with them, but never seen them cause any actual harm to my tank inhabitants.

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update has been a long time coming. My mother sadly fell ill in September and passed the following month, as a result all my tanks have fallen into neglect and disarray. Luckily this tank has fared the best, and has actually held up quite well.

BigReef-2023-02-26-1.jpg

End of July also saw some new acquisitions, such as a lovely Monti Setosa, as well as the crown jewel of my monti colletion: A golden P. maldivensis, which interestingly is starting to morph towards a gold/purple combo.

PavonaMaldivTentacles.jpg BigReef-2023-02-26-5.jpg

My Hydnophora just keeps sprouting, and has finally after several months, anchored itself to the rockwork. The red Pavona is growing like a weed, and is at this point, truly a colony in its own right.
BigReef-2023-02-26-3.jpg BigReef-2023-02-26-7.jpg

My Pavona cactus also continues to grown and has quite a few leaves going on now, and my old old green P. dessucata is bouncing back nicely. I also ended up moving over an A. tenuis from my small 15 gallon, and it seems much happier here, especially with the tidal flow setup I have going.

BigReef-2023-02-26-6.jpg BigReef-2023-02-26-4.jpg

I'm actually quite happy with how the current selection of corals is holding up. They actually seem to be able to hold their own and out-compete the clove polyps that have taken over the tank. :) Although the upside of the cloves, is that they make for excellent nutrient export! Never had a system with water this clean. And when they start growing a bit off the left wall, onto the front of the glass, I just peel them off and dispose of the mat, ergo "nutrient export". ;)

BigReef-2023-02-26-2.jpg

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'ts been nearly a year since my last update I realized, and it has been hectic. Have fought a hard battle with Prorocentrum dino's, which finally came to an end last month. Following a large 50% water change, necessitated by now-excess nutrients, the entire population crashed and vanished over night. Two weeks later and the tank is still dino-free.

BigReef-2024-01-08.jpg

The tank has also become home to two dragonettes, a Scooter and a Spotted Mandarin, who are in very good health and weight.
Scooter-2024-01-08.jpg

SpottedMandy-2024-01-08-1.jpg

No sump or refugium, but I am growing a pod-pile in the corner. And the scooter is hooked on pellets. :)
P_20231123_162624.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'ts been nearly a year since my last update I realized, and it has been hectic. Have fought a hard battle with Prorocentrum dino's, which finally came to an end last month. Following a large 50% water change, necessitated by now-excess nutrients, the entire population crashed and vanished over night. Two weeks later and the tank is still dino-free.

BigReef-2024-01-08.jpg

The tank has also become home to two dragonettes, a Scooter and a Spotted Mandarin, who are in very good health and weight.
Scooter-2024-01-08.jpg

SpottedMandy-2024-01-08-1.jpg

No sump or refugium, but I am growing a pod-pile in the corner. And the scooter is hooked on pellets. :)
P_20231123_162624.jpg
Tank is doing great!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back