250000 litre pool conversion to reef tank!

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 300w grow light for my refugium and I'm a bit curious about how my fuge will react.

Not quite the same scale though...

Can't wait to see how the 800w goes!

Tony

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of fish are particular about copper. I'd check out the thread above (there are plenty of others too).
You know your level of precision with your stuff, but you will likely find it smoother with some seachem cup Ramin and a test kit. You can find both on Amazon and likely your LFS.

Cheers, Tony

Yes sir....just about wiped out my Koi pond with this stuff:(! Did a number on the algae though:)! Its the pure blue crystals..no watered down version! The above link...thanks again Bronc...recommends the prazipro first...then the copper. I have a copper test kit and will weigh the copper as well..ramping up concentration over a week.

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 300w grow light for my refugium and I'm a bit curious about how my fuge will react.

Not quite the same scale though...

Can't wait to see how the 800w goes!

Tony

The algae farm day one! Will see which one grows best. Some of the red algae are beautiful! Thinking of putting a few in DT!
Just watched BRS report and he had no luck with longer then 12 hour photo period...so just set the apex to 12 hours...night time.

untitled.pngzx.png

untitled.pngzz.png

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Quarantine is going good:)! Nitrates are coming up so put one ml of Prime in instead of water change.
All are crazy hungry at feeding time...3-5 times a day!
Coral Beauty is holding her own with flame:)!

untitled.pngxzx.png

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Quarantine is going good:)! Nitrates are coming up so put one ml of Prime in instead of water change.
All are crazy hungry at feeding time...3-5 times a day!
Coral Beauty is holding her own with flame:)!

untitled.pngxzx.png
Once you add copper, prime is a no go. Will make the copper toxic. Should also wait at least 2 days after prime has been added to start copper.

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you add copper, prime is a no go. Will make the copper toxic. Should also wait at least 2 days after prime has been added to start copper.

Wow? I did not know that. That would have sucked. Thank you! With your posts and banners up there I will switch to water changes at that point:)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow? I did not know that. That would have sucked. Thank you! With your posts and banners up there I will switch to water changes at that point:)
No problem! One other thing I wanted to mention, someone said you can't bring in disease with inverts.. that's not exactly right. While it is true they can not be infected with the disease.. Anything wet can bring in disease, either through contaminated water so always discard the transport water, after acclimation rinse stuff off with your tank water. And anything with a hard surface, corals, frag plugs, snail/hermit shells, rock etc. can have ich or velvet tomonts encysted on it. That's kind like the "egg" stage, nothing you can treat with is known to kill that stage, so many people use an invert/coral quarantine to keep these things out of the display.
This quarantine system is kept without any fishes, so even if the tomonts are present and hatch they will find no fish to complete their life cycle and will die off.
The longest it has been documented it takes for ich to hatch is 72 or so days, so it's recommended to leave whatever you are quarantining there for 76 days. The minimum to ensure no velvet is 6 weeks.
Finally, aerosol transmission of velvet/ ich is a possibility so it is recommended that all quarantine systems be kept 10 feet away from the display systems.

Hope this is helpful and let's you plan your quarantine strategy effectively, it would suck to have a real nasty disease like velvet get into such a large system.

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should at least to a fw dip also parasites do not attach to inverts but there is always a slight chance one gets through so fw dip should do it

Ok dude :)))
Were you trying to kill my inverts:((?
Fresh water dip on inverts is deadly!
Thank god I did not do that.
Only 100% method would have bin to quarantine for 72 Days:(
Does any body do that?

Last edited:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok dude :)))
Were you trying to kill my inverts:((
Fresh water dip on inverts is deadly!
Thank god I did not do that.
Only 100% method would have bin to quarantine for 72 Days:(
Does any body do that?
I do. I have a coral and invert quarantine tank. It's just a well established biocube with upgraded lights, a pistol shrimp and a few snails, no fish. Everything gets quarantined for my tank.

If you wait the 72 days to move your fish into the main system(it's still fishless, right?)you will have quarantined your snails

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine Tank update...noticed hippo flashing so started copper.
Flame and Beauty are buds:)!!!!

Algae Farm ....pictures below...red seams to be outgrowing green. But all coming along:)!
Had to tie chaeto under light...when it drifted away from light ..it got dark green and shrank:(
Growing good now under 800 watts.

gyu.png

jk.png

untitled.pngplo.png

untitled.pnguio.png

untitled.pngwqs.png

untitled.pngytrr.png

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I have a coral and invert quarantine tank. It's just a well established biocube with upgraded lights, a pistol shrimp and a few snails, no fish. Everything gets quarantined for my tank.

If you wait the 72 days to move your fish into the main system(it's still fishless, right?)you will have quarantined your snails

Yes....but 72 days:((((((

Last edited:
OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo...now I need at least 3 quarantine tanks:(???
One for fish
One for inverts
And another if I want to add fish inverts or algae more often then 72 days:(????
:))))...this hobby ...got to love it:))!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad day.... when your refugium and quarantine tank are more interesting then DT:(((
It will all come together:)))
But you guys with all your crazy science... keep slowing things down:))))!!!

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok .....Mr. cleaner shrimp is going to be really pissst when he finds out...nothing to clean for 72 days:)))
I have to look him in the eye everyday!!!
How do I explain this to him???

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since ur at the beginning load up on inverts snails and Corals for the display tank
Leave ur fish in the qt tank for the 72 days 30 of which in copper and then when the 73 rd day comes add the fish in the display tank this way u won’t need three tanks right now

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back