250000 litre pool conversion to reef tank!

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok dude :)))
Were you trying to kill my inverts:((?
Fresh water dip on inverts is deadly!
Thank god I did not do that.
Only 100% method would have bin to quarantine for 72 Days:(
Does any body do that?

im really sorry

Bad advice i should have done research before suggesting this,
for some reason i thought it was a good idea at the time

Im really glad you did your own research and didn’t kill your inverts i would have felt horrible

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo...now I need at least 3 quarantine tanks:(???
One for fish
One for inverts
And another if I want to add fish inverts or algae more often then 72 days:(????
:))))...this hobby ...got to love it:))!!!
You can batch the fish, so just get a large enough tank to run several through together. You don't have to quarantine a full 72, but end up getting close by the time you acclimate, ramp up copper, 30d copper, remove copper and observe. You can reduce this a little by doing 14 days copper then moving them to a clean, sterile quarantine (10 feet away) for observation.

Corals and inverts, can technically be added and removed to the quarantine system as they reach their 72 days. Since we are only worried about tomonts hatching, they can't transmit stuff to each other. But be sure to rinse them thoroughly, in case something's in the water.
I just try to coordinate my invert and coral purchases over a week or so then start the clock, I worry I would a few something up otherwise, lol.

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im really sorry

Bad advice i should have done research before suggesting this,
for some reason i thought it was a good idea at the time

Im really glad you did your own research and didn’t kill your inverts i would have felt horrible

Np dude:)
Good reminder for all of us!

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can batch the fish, so just get a large enough tank to run several through together. You don't have to quarantine a full 72, but end up getting close by the time you acclimate, ramp up copper, 30d copper, remove copper and observe. You can reduce this a little by doing 14 days copper then moving them to a clean, sterile quarantine (10 feet away) for observation.

Corals and inverts, can technically be added and removed to the quarantine system as they reach their 72 days. Since we are only worried about tomonts hatching, they can't transmit stuff to each other. But be sure to rinse them thoroughly, in case something's in the water.
I just try to coordinate my invert and coral purchases over a week or so then start the clock, I worry I would a few something up otherwise, lol.

Ok great...but let me make sure I'm getting this invert quarantine tank procedure right.
I can add inverts anytime over the 72 day period and remove ones to DT that have spent 72 days in the quarantine tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey....since I added copper yellow tang is not eating? Pecks away at the food but getting hollow:(
Was one of the more voracious eaters before copper.
Any ideas?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey....since I added copper yellow tang is not eating? Pecks away at the food but getting hollow:(
Was one of the more voracious eaters before copper.
Any ideas?
What's your copper level and how long did it take you to get there?

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your copper level and how long did it take you to get there?

Well depending on what light I hold sample in copper level is between .25 and .5. Ramped up over 3 days.

vvv.png

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, is the specific gravity of 1.014 gonna cause an issue with the cupramine. Think I've read it can be troublesome but don't know...

Personally I would do one or the other but let's see what humblefish recommends.

Have you tried different foods?

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, is the specific gravity of 1.014 gonna cause an issue with the cupramine. Think I've read it can be troublesome but don't know...

Personally I would do one or the other but let's see what humblefish recommends.

Have you tried different foods?

I read that hypo salinity was supposed to make it easy on fish because of osmotic gradient being less and would help fish conserve recourses to fight ick etc.

I have tried a couple of foods:)!

vvz.png

vz.png

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the cost analysis that apex provides for power per hour or per day?
Ok ...think its per day...return pump..108 watts...at 3.7 cents per kWh...telling me 10 cents per day:)
But that cant be right??? This Jebao pump moves 360000 litres of water per day for 10 cents???

vx.png

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edmonton Reefer here...

Take @Humblefish advice...

I use chloroquine phosphate for my QT for 30 days, then I switch to 2 rounds of API General Cure... This gives me copper, prazi, metro.

I QT my coral and inverts in one tank for 30 days, I'm not going to do 74 but you can.

My DT isn't set up yet but I have these QT running while I'm renoing.

Make sure you keep your copper consistent as I see you have a lot of fish in your QT and are probably going to be doing lots of water changes.

If you need help you can contact me on here, I can also add you to the Edmonton Reef FB group as well, the information here is better, but you get connected to the local community, which is helpful in times of need...

Ram

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edmonton Reefer here...

Take @Humblefish advice...

I use chloroquine phosphate for my QT for 30 days, then I switch to 2 rounds of API General Cure... This gives me copper, prazi, metro.

I QT my coral and inverts in one tank for 30 days, I'm not going to do 74 but you can.

My DT isn't set up yet but I have these QT running while I'm renoing.

Make sure you keep your copper consistent as I see you have a lot of fish in your QT and are probably going to be doing lots of water changes.

If you need help you can contact me on here, I can also add you to the Edmonton Reef FB group as well, the information here is better, but you get connected to the local community, which is helpful in times of need...

Ram
Yes. Lots of fish in quarantine. Small fish...20% water change everyday!
Complete bacterial infusion every day...full body messages ...mud baths with ...powdered black pearls, rubbed with hot jade stones and wrapped in coca leaves!
Would love to belong to local group!
Please pm:)!

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this treatment the husk of the coconut is used as the ideal tool for skin brushing - a ten minute process used to cleanse the skin where the wiry texture of the husk helps remove dead cells from the surface of the skin.

Next, follows a 20-minute full body exfoliation - where fresh grated coconut is applied to the body in gentle circular movements. Coconut contains high levels of vitamin E - a potent antioxidant, which has especially beneficial effects for the skin and is said to prevent the ageing damage caused by free radicals.

The idea behind exfoliation is to lift impurities from the skin. This action works directly on the lymphatic system stimulating circulation which helps expel toxins from inside the body.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-111799/Get-taste-worlds-exotic-spa-treatments.html#ixzz51DZqNZSx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back