250000 litre pool conversion to reef tank!

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You obviously have a good handle on salt water reefing! The corals look stunning. Great growth. Good colorful selection of fish too. How’s spring in Alberta? Here in Ohio hardly any farmers are going to get to plant. Wet, wet, wet!

Thank you Sir:)
Spring in central Alberta is Great! Up North though it is very dry and we have some huge fires:(
Yesterday it was like evening outside at 1 pm from the smoke and ash in air.
Seeding done here...busy spraying.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Sir:)
Spring in central Alberta is Great! Up North though it is very dry and we have some huge fires:(
Yesterday it was like evening outside at 1 pm from the smoke and ash in air.
Seeding done here...busy spraying.

The smoke has been BRUTAL in calgary, a bit better now than a couple days ago. And where oh where did you get those mixing tanks. Are they from Zeebest??

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smoke has been BRUTAL in calgary, a bit better now than a couple days ago. And where oh where did you get those mixing tanks. Are they from Zeebest??
Poly west in Acheson:)! They are awesome! I made a couple of batches of Rum in them and now use for ROI and Saltwater. The tanks are pretty reasonable...but the stands are crazy price:(

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poly west in Acheson:)! They are awesome! I made a couple of batches of Rum in them and now use for ROI and Saltwater. The tanks are pretty reasonable...but the stands are crazy price:(

Yeah I ran into the same issue looking for mine and still haven't settled on a pair yet. The stands cost more than the tanks which is insane.

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are nice and fat from my special blend:)! I like to mix all the below ingredients in ROI water and store in fridge. 500 ml container lasts a week or so...no messing with frozen 3-4 times a day:)! Auto feeder feeds a few pellets 10 times a day as well. Yes i feed a lot!

00.png

0.png

1.png

2.png

11.png

22.png

44.png

111.png

1111.png

untitled.png0.png

untitled.pngee.png

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I ran into the same issue looking for mine and still haven't settled on a pair yet. The stands cost more than the tanks which is insane.
Ya:(...if go with flat bottom tanks....much cheaper setup. But the cone bottom sure are nice for cleaning ...draining etc. And i had them kicking around not being used:)

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya:(...if go with flat bottom tanks....much cheaper setup. But the cone bottom sure are nice for cleaning ...draining etc. And i had them kicking around not being used:)

Always a bonus when you have them around. My thoughts exactly with the coned bottom. No way for anything to settle in the tanks and would allow for thorough mixing in a short time. I might just have to make my own stand for them.

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have seen my tank.....i have a lot of fish!

Last edited:

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish! Any suggestion on keeping ...much appreciated!

image.jpg
One of my favorite fish! Usually suffer in shipping but adapt well. Mine needed kanaplex and metroplex for cloudy eyes and some internal stuff. I feed hikari frozen mega marine angel, frozen misys and spirulina enriched brine. Pellets in the morning. Good luck with ur new fish

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are nice and fat from my special blend:)! I like to mix all the below ingredients in ROI water and store in fridge. 500 ml container lasts a week or so...no messing with frozen 3-4 times a day:)! Auto feeder feeds a few pellets 10 times a day as well. Yes i feed a lot!

00.png

0.png

1.png

2.png

11.png

22.png

44.png

111.png

1111.png

untitled.png0.png

untitled.pngee.png
So what's your recipe for all that?

Have you thought about adding some fresh clams?

Cheers, Tony

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen any interesting results from the Trident yet? (alk consumption changing throughout the day, how the three measurements track, etc...)

Everything is looking amazing by the way.

Cheers (from Ottawa), Tony

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's your recipe for all that?

Have you thought about adding some fresh clams?

Cheers, Tony

Hey Tristren
Its not quite the same twice in a row:)
ROI water.
3-4 sheets of Nori cutup into 1/2 inch squares.
A chunk of each of the frozen foods above.
A tablespoon or two of the liquid foods.
A heaping teaspoon of Reef Roids or what ever other coral powdered food i have.

I will eventually buy some fresh clams and other seafoods..... when i can find a clean source....STPP is an issue in most seafood:(
Not sure it would be much cheaper then the frozen Krill?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen any interesting results from the Trident yet? (alk consumption changing throughout the day, how the three measurements track, etc...)

Everything is looking amazing by the way.

Cheers (from Ottawa), Tony

Hey Tony
So far

-its priceless not to have to test and see Alk Cal and Mag on fusion page:))!

-have not really noticed fluctuations to any significant degree from night to day? I do have Calcium reactor and Kalk reactor hooked up and operating 24/7. Kalk reactor replaces ATO.

-I have noticed fluctuations with using different salts. I have Aquaforest and Reef Crystals. Aquaforest seams to lower all of the above and reef crystals raises them with 4 gallons per day auto water change. So now I blend the 2 salts in 60 gallon conical to keep Alk at 9.4 to 9.6 Cal at 470 to 490 Mag at 1360 to 1380. Will just use Reef Crystals after Aquaforest is gone.

Thanks for the compliment:) All is chugging along quite well:))!

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Spotted Box fish.

Kingdom:
Animalia
Phylum:
Chordata
Class:
Actinopterygii
Order:
Tetraodontiformes
Family:
Ostraciidae
Genus:
Ostracion
Species:
O. cubicus
Binomial name
Ostracion cubicus

Linnaeus, 1758

This is one of my favorite fish in Tank:) My Girlfriend saw it at not so local fish store and had to have it:)!
Thinking this is great:)! Getting her more involved in the hobby is a good thing:) Less flack when new additions appear in tank:)
So we brought him home....one of the few times i did not research the becheebers out of a tank addition before buying:(
Sooooooo i get online after acclimatizing, putting in 33 gallon quarantine and discover this is the second most venomous creature in the world short of the dart frog!!!!! Well....the research continued long into the night hours. Turns out there are mixed emotions on these guys...some say "tank nuker" some say no problem. My experience has bin nothing but positive:)
The good:
-He has the most personality of any fish i have ever owned:)!
-He recognizes me or the wife and follows you back and forth.
-He is a lot like a puppy dog.
-He will spray water at you when walking by tank to get your attention:)
The bad:
-None yet...but people say he could nuke the tank:(
I think they are a lot like the Dart frog...when taken out of their natural habitat and deprived of the foods that make them venomous they become non venomous:)!
So after 10s of hours of research and 6 weeks in quarantine i reluctantly decided to add him to main display.
Issues that crossed my mind:
-tank nuke of course
-his size...Bam Bam was only an inch long and i had 8-10 inch tangs in main display!
- and his motility ...would the above average flow in my tank send him into a spin and suck him into a gyre?
I was pleasantly surprised:)! Not 30 seconds after Bam Bam dove into the main display my 10 inch Hippo tang decided to display his tank dominance on the poor little fella! Big mistake! Bam Bam...hense the name proceeded to peck the crap out of Big Blue! With a vengeance i had never thought possible! End of problem. He also has no problems in the flow and is a very aggressive eater. I would highly recommend these little fellas:)!

IMG_0297 (1).jpeg

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_0305.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back