253G+ Build - It has begun!

Here is a quick update with a few pics. Got the sump pretty much finished up and will be water testing it tomorrow. Here are some progress pics..

Starting to work on the filter holder. I needed to get the filters recessed to be flat with the acrylic for good edge flow. I was originally going to cut two sheets of acrylic, one with a 7" hole and one with the 6.5" hole and just set the filter into it. But I didn't want to use the extra acrylic and bond two together so I came up with the idea of taking a single sheet and milling out an 1/8" for the filter to sit in. I had not done this before, and it was only 1/4" acrylic so it was going to be tricky... Well.. here goes nothing!!

Center and milled out 1/4 x 1/8" of material.
DSC_1115.JPG


DSC_1116.JPG


I then just changed the bit and cut out a circle inside that initial groove.. if that makes any sense.
Hard to see I know..
DSC_1122.JPG


Finished Product..
DSC_1124.JPG


Mocked up with the filters in place... Can't wait to get these things going and see how they perform.
DSC_1118.JPG


Nice flat surface to flow over!! Turned out better then I thought it would.
DSC_1120.JPG


Mocked up in the sump...
DSC_1125.JPG


DSC_1129.JPG



I actually got it all put together in the sump, but just didn't take pics yet. The sump is all done except for a couple of end support that I will do tomorrow. I will snap some shot then..

Til then, thanks for looking..

Jack
 
Thanks guys, we are getting there... Here are a few more pics.

Ok.. Sump is all done and doing a 24hr water test as I type this!! Nice to get it finished up and moving on to getting it plumbed and installed in the fish room..

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure..


DSC_1131.JPG


DSC_1133.JPG


DSC_1136.JPG


DSC_1138.JPG


DSC_1145.JPG


DSC_1148.JPG


Finally moving on to the final plumbing setup... Get this fish room up and running!!!

Jack
 
Ok, so its been awhile since I updated this thread, but I have been hard at work with the tank and the setup. We are getting close to having it where we want it, but is it ever REALLY done?..lol

As of Saturday we fired up the fish room, and the new sump is fully functional, and working like a champ. Still lots to do like install the chiller, reactors, etc.. but the main pluming is all done...

All equipment is out of the house now and the tank itself runs almost dead silent!! I can actually hear my computer fan over anything else in my office now.. pretty cool. A couple of guys on this forum have seen and heard it and we are all amazed at how well it flows and quite it is..

Running a 2" return gives you A LOT of flexibility on the amount of flow you run, and it gives this tank plenty. I more then likely will be pulling out the MP40 as I have not run it since the new system came online and don't think I need to.


Here are some catch up pics... Enjoy..

Completely empty stand.... how nice is that!!!
DSC_0073.JPG


On its way...
DSC_0074.JPG


Wall shot... will be enclosing this in, eventually..
DSC_0077.JPG


Got a little glue on the base board.... woops..
DSC_0080.JPG


Sump in all its glory!!
DSC_0081.JPG


My manifold setup.. 4 - 1" gates..
DSC_0082.JPG


Skimmer nogg after 24hrs!!!! Thats what going a few days without a skimmer will do for ya!!! Working well.
DSC_0083.JPG


Couple pics of the intake...
DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG


And a quick pic of the tank... Sucky.. will try and and take some better ones this week..
DSC_0076.JPG


Thanks,

Jack

Jack
 
Last edited:
Very neat!! Nice setup... I totally envy your overflow:tongue:!!

btw I gotta ask... why did you go with those intakes/drains on the sump?... from the looks of it they do not do much filter wise imo, I could be wrong... that's why I ask:)
 
Very neat!! Nice setup... I totally envy your overflow:tongue:!!

btw I gotta ask... why did you go with those intakes/drains on the sump?... from the looks of it they do not do much filter wise imo, I could be wrong... that's why I ask:)

They are meant to be filter sock replacements, for lack of a better term. All the pics I posted of them show them empty, right now I have 200 micron material in them that I just take out and throw away. I can run anything I want then them.. carbon, gfo, floss, you name it...

If you look at the picture "Sump in all its glory" you can see the media at the base of the unit.

Jack
 
I love the setup. Looks AWESOME!

So are you planning on putting in filter media into the filters like carbon or GFO?... nm, I type too slow lol

Can I ask what sand you used? I will be upgrading to a 125 and I like the color and look of your sand.
 
I love the setup. Looks AWESOME!

So are you planning on putting in filter media into the filters like carbon or GFO?... nm, I type too slow lol

Can I ask what sand you used? I will be upgrading to a 125 and I like the color and look of your sand.

Sure... its Tropic Eden.. I used a combination of Aragasnow, Mini Flakes, and Reef Flakes.. Worked out very well for me.

Jack
 
They are meant to be filter sock replacements, for lack of a better term. All the pics I posted of them show them empty, right now I have 200 micron material in them that I just take out and throw away. I can run anything I want then them.. carbon, gfo, floss, you name it...

If you look at the picture "Sump in all its glory" you can see the media at the base of the unit.

Jack

yeah I did see it...very cool!! imo they look way better than any sock would and now that you mention it, yes I can see them functioning well or even better!!! but then again that's why I asked....it's obvious this project was welll thought out... keep up the nice work1smile1...looking very good indeed! I always enjoy a monster build in progress:xd:
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new