253G+ Build - It has begun!

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the feedback on the other thread, but I had no idea how to change the title, so I just figured I would start a new build thread... So here goes...

We have started the build of our new 253+ Deep Dimension build and figured I would start a build thread for it. So lets start with some details.

Tank: 60L x 36W x 27H, Starfire on three sides, with a coast to coast overflow. Will have two 1.25" drains and two 1" returns, but I may add a third.

Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead running the tank, frag tank, and two reactors. Why such a big pump? See below. :)

Sump: 48L x 30W x 20H with a running volume of 71.4G, and a total volume of 124G. Should give me plenty of capacity. Sump and frag tank will be setup in a remote fish room that I will be building during this project.

Fish Room: 10' x 5', Not a large room, but should work out pretty good. The room is located approx. 63' away form the tank. Hence the big pump, I just hope its big enough!

Ok, enough about that lets get on with it... We are taking delivery of the tank on 23rd (next Thurs) so I have a lot of work to do.

I will be updating this thread as much as I can, and try to remember to take pics..

If anyone has any question, or see me doing something wrong, please let me know... :)

Here are some starter pictures, enjoy..

Tank....
250G%252520Tank%252520-%252520RevD.jpg

250G%252520Tank%252520-%252520RevD%252520%2525232.jpg

Here is a drawing of my distances.
Plumbing%252520Diag.jpg

Here is where the "fish room" will be. I have a few things to move...
DSC_0854.JPG

Getting dirty..
DSC_0857.JPG

Making progress..
DSC_0858.JPG

DSC_0862.JPG

DSC_0859.JPG

Will finish all the underground tomorrow, move the softner, and hopefully get the form work up for the slab. With any luck, I will be putting the slab down on Saturday, we will see...

Jack

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good start Jack. If you ever need to change the title of a thread, just let one of us mods know and we can help you out. Very much looking forward to seeing the progress of the fish room. : )

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be a great thread....if i can get my grown kids out of the house I will have a fish room.
But I'm not holding my breath.....LOL

OP
OP
Boostable

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be a great thread....if i can get my grown kids out of the house I will have a fish room.
But I'm not holding my breath.....LOL

Im sending my first off to College next week. I tried to take her room, but that didn't go over to well, she kept asking my what I was doing with that tape measure.. lol

OP
OP
Boostable

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of quick additions before I get started this morning.

Here is the sump design I will be building. I welcome any input or criticisms.

250DD%252520Sump%252520-%252520RevB%252520-%252520Vis.jpg

another..

250DD%252520Sump%252520-%252520RevB.jpg

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what an undertaking, that sump...I almost like it more than the tank;)

gofor100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this will be fun!

Quick question for you... what was the reasoning behind the sump design (not that I see anything wrong with it, I just want to know if there were specific reasons behind the design).

Thanks,

Chad

OP
OP
Boostable

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this will be fun!

Quick question for you... what was the reasoning behind the sump design (not that I see anything wrong with it, I just want to know if there were specific reasons behind the design).

Thanks,

Chad

Chad,

I considered just using different tanks for everything, but at the end of the day it came down to three things for me. Flow, Capacity and Convenience. I wanted a sump that would flow a good amount of water, but at the same time it needed to be smooth flowing (wide channels and bubble traps) it needed to have a large capacity and it needed to make the general maintenance tasks of the tank convenient and easy. I think I have got that with this sump. (I hope) Large intake section, dual socks, large skimmer area, and large return area is what I was after. The fuge area is just a bonus... I may run an external fuge as well. I toyed around with the design a lot and the sump kept growing.. lol So I actually scaled it down to this . Hope that answers your question in some way.

Jack

OP
OP
Boostable

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Here are a couple of shots from today... not much to look at other then dirt!!! lol But its all formed and ready to go. All the trenching is done, etc.. 20' pipe and concrete arrives tomorrow morning. Will get it down tomorrow or Monday for sure!! At minimum I will get the pipe all stubbed up and at least drive fitted.

BTW, in case anyone was wondering... Its freaking HOT outside!

DSC_0865.JPG

Gonna form around this and fill it later, all the plumbing, etc will rise from here.
DSC_0866.JPG

Look Mom, a long hole!!!
DSC_0867.JPG

Trench in front of the house behind my hedges, my neighbors have got to be wondering what the heck is he doing now.. lol
DSC_0868.JPG

Jack

OP
OP
Boostable

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another scorcher out today, but I got an early start and was able to make some progress. I have the plumbing 90% installed and 60% completed. I have it all mocked up leveled. I also got the slab poured today and she came out pretty good.

I will be doing a little more on the plumbing tomorrow night, and then I will be out of town till Thursday. Take delivery of the tank on Thursday/Friday, so it will continue when I return... Here are a few pics for those following along.

Enjoy..

DSC_0872.JPG

DSC_0873.JPG

My mixing station.. Can you tell where I shop.. :)
DSC_0874.JPG

Pipe mocked up.. .

DSC_0875.JPG

Couple of the clean outs.. I little messy, but hey... I will clean it up later..

DSC_0877.JPG

Jack

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to say that your pipes weren't burried deep enough and that they would freeze in the winter. I then realized that you live in Florida. I would be concerned about heat loss in the winter though. I know it usually doesn't get down to freezing, but with that much water flow outdoors you may notice alot of heat loss. This may end up being a non-issue, but it may also be worth it to look into some insulation for that pipe. How cold does it get where you live?

OP
OP
Boostable

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to say that your pipes weren't burried deep enough and that they would freeze in the winter. I then realized that you live in Florida. I would be concerned about heat loss in the winter though. I know it usually doesn't get down to freezing, but with that much water flow outdoors you may notice alot of heat loss. This may end up being a non-issue, but it may also be worth it to look into some insulation for that pipe. How cold does it get where you live?

Thanks for the feedback. The pipes are about 16~18" down, they look high as they are actually sitting on top of some other cross pipes. I re-routed those ans lowered the plumbing today. And our right, here in Florida we don't have any deep freezes, although the last couple of winters we have had some short (couple days freezes) nothing long enough to freeze the ground. I will be insulating the pipes just for a little extra piece of mind.

Thanks again,

Jack

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back