28 Gal. JBJ Nano cube

Larry Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Ok, so here is what I am starting with. JBJ Nano cube cf quad 28 gal. I just put 30 pounds of sand in it last night, dropped a raw shrimp in it this evening, now wait. My parameters as of now are.
Temp: 81 degrees
Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0
Alkalinity: 143.2 ppm
PH: 9.0
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 520
So my plan is to add an apex jr. Controller, replace the cf lighting with a rapid LEDs retrofit, phosban reactor, ATO, gyre 130 and a Hobb-1 skimmer.
So let me know what you think about the equipment and any suggestions are welcome.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're off to a good start! If you want to save your test kits, I wouldn't test for alk, ca, phos until you're cycled. There's really no point until you start adding livestock. Temp is a little on the high side IMO, but not bad. Not sure you need to invest the money in a gyre for this small of a system, but to each their own. Have you checked out the Reef Keeper Lite controller? Not sure what you're planning on using your controller for, but the Reef Keeper Lite may provide the same results in your case as the Apex Jr; worth looking into if you want to save some $$$. Good luck! :D

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with it. My first tank was a JBJ 24g.

Is that pH reading right? Those tests are notoriously inaccurate, but 9 is high

OP
OP
Larry Cox

Larry Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're off to a good start! If you want to save your test kits, I wouldn't test for alk, ca, phos until you're cycled. There's really no point until you start adding livestock. Temp is a little on the high side IMO, but not bad. Not sure you need to invest the money in a gyre for this small of a system, but to each their own. Have you checked out the Reef Keeper Lite controller? Not sure what you're planning on using your controller for, but the Reef Keeper Lite may provide the same results in your case as the Apex Jr; worth looking into if you want to save some $$$. Good luck! :D
Thanks for the reply. What would you recommend on the temp? Also what circulation pump for this size tank? As for the Apex jr. I am away for 1-2 weeks at a time occasionally for work, so I like that I can monitor and control my aquarium while I'm away. My daughter will feed and do minor maint. while I'm away, but I would still feel more comfortable being able to monitor it myself.
As for PH, I have been using an old test kit, so that may have something to do with the high PH. I have a new Milwaukee PH55 due to arrive tomorrow, so we will see if my previous test were incorrect.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp isn't that out of whack, just my personal opinion, my max is 79 degrees, but i wouldn't let it climb much higher. Supposedly experience has shown that fish do better in water as high as 78 degrees. Corals however are a crap shoot. Some like upper 70s, some like mid 80s. Apparently warmer water also contributes to pest/disease growth, if you even have any that is. As far as a pump/power head... I think an MP10, or even a Hydor Koralia. The Hydor's are inexpensive, and they have a very wide pattern. I would explore more options besides these, there are a plethora of options that would be much much cheaper than the gyre. I wouldn't get too crazy about your PH, it will swing while cycling. If it's still that high after you cycle then i'd look into it. Definitely make sure you have new test kits of good quality. I went from API to Salifert test kits and the difference was crazy.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it live rock and live Sand? It looks like it in the picture. The shrimp method was really developed(as i understand it from the old guys here) to give birth to the bacteria in a cycle where none exist. If its live sand(bagged) and your using live rock, the bacteria already exist(although possibly not in a sufficient number quite yet)
So if indeed this is the case, your shrimp is only a ghost feed and your tank is in fact cycling. Keep testing. the large shrimpy food source rotting will provide the Am for you to test for and im betting Am your getting is from the rock and used tank parts. thats a good thing.
IMO, Score.
Im a 77-80 temp myself. while there is no livestock try turning of the heater for 24hr and see where tempt settles in the evening before lights out and first thing in the am. the motor and light in my ol 28g kept it pretty warm and I set the heater to boost it. it only really came on at night. Itll save ya power not having the heater on during the day while it chases 2 degrees.

OP
OP
Larry Cox

Larry Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update on the nano. I have upgraded the heater to a true temp digital, added the ATO, running chemi-pure blue and seachem purigen in my filter. I also got a phosban reactor but haven't installed it yet. I got coral cue GFO phosphate adsorption media for it, how much should I put in the reactor? I got a new tester for the ph. So my current par. are.
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Temp 79
Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates 0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454346220.540301.jpg

Also added these guys three days ago, they seem to be doing great. I got the Picasso for 20.00 at a lfs, I thought that was a killer deal.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454346480.848109.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454346513.914509.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 91 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 92 45.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.9%
Back